
News
JUST IN: FG declares Tuesday public holiday to mourn Buhari
The Nigerian government has declared Tuesday, July 15, 2025, as a public holiday to mourn ex-President Muhammadu Buhari.
This was confirmed in a statement issued on Monday, July 14, 2025, by the Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, through Magdalene Ajani, Permanent Secretary of the ministry.
The former president died on Sunday at a clinic in London and is set to be buried at his hometown in Daura, Katsina state.
Advertisement
The statement reads: “President Bola Ahmed Tinubu GCFR, the Federal Government has declared Tuesday, 15 July, 2025, as a Public Holiday in honour of the late former President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR.
“The Honourable Minister of Interior, Dr. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, made the declaration on behalf of the Federal Government, following the approval of His Excellency, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR.

“The Minister stated that the holiday is a mark of respect for the late President’s service to the nation, his contributions to Nigeria’s democratic journey, and his enduring legacy in governance and national development.
“President Muhammadu Buhari served Nigeria with dedication, integrity, and an unwavering commitment to the unity and progress of our great nation.
“This public holiday provides an opportunity for all Nigerians to reflect on his life, leadership, and the values he upheld,” the Minister said.
He urged citizens to use the day to honour the late President’s memory by promoting peace, patriotism, and national cohesion, in line with his vision for a prosperous and united Nigeria.
“As earlier announced, the National flags are to fly at half mast for the seven days of mourning period from Sunday 13th July, 2025.
“The Federal Government extends its deepest condolences to the family of the late President, the people of Katsina State, and all Nigerians, while praying for the peaceful repose of his soul.”
Meanwhile, Katsina State Governor, Dikko Radda, has announced the burial arrangements for Nigeria’s former President, Muhammadu Buhari, who passed away on Sunday, July 13, 2025, in a hospital in London.
At a press briefing on Monday, the Katsina governor said following consultations with the late president’s family and close associates in London, it has been agreed that the remains of the former leader would arrive in Katsina on Tuesday, July 15, 2025, by noon.
He disclosed that the burial would take place in Daura, the hometown of the late president, by 2pm on the same day.
Radda expressed deep condolences on behalf of himself, the state government, and the people of Katsina State, to the family of the late President and all Nigerians mourning the loss of a national icon.
Meanwhile, the paper work to perfect the release of Buhari’s body rom the hospital in London has begun.
Channels Television’s UK correspondent Juliana Olayinka said the remains of the late Nigerian former president would be released once the documentations were perfected.
Earlier on Monday, Vice President Kashim Shettima and the Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila, arrived in London, the United Kingdom, to receive the body of the late president.
The Nigerian delegation to the United Kingdom was received by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Tuggar; Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum; among others.
Mourners Await Buhari’s Body
Meanwhile, mourners have thronged Buhari’s residence in his Daura hometown in Katsina State, North-West Nigeria.
Buhari’s far and closest neighbours, family members, closest friends and associates were seen in a sorrowful mood.
They described the deceased as humble, disciplined and generous in his relationship with people during his lifetime. They said Buhari would continue to be remembered for his character.
One of the Buhari’s friends, Sulaiman Yarin-Katsina, believed that, the late president’s unwavering simplicity made him to remain deeply connected to his community throughout his life.
Although heavy security dominated Daura including the entrance of the Daura Emirate Council, commercial activities continued uninterruptedly along the major road linking to the deceased residence.
Some personalities who have visited the residence of the late former president ahead of the burial include Katsina State Deputy Governor, Faruk Jobe; his Deputy Chief of Staff, Mukhtar Saulawa; Katsina APC Chairman, Sani Daura; State Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Nasiru Danmusa; former Katsina State SUBEB Chairman, Lawal Daura; and AIG Zone 14, Aliyu Musa.
The Nigerian president from May 29, 2015 to May 29, 2023, died on Sunday, July 13, 2025, at a London hospital.
Condolences have since poured in from dignitaries across the country, many who described Buhari as a man of integrity.
Buhari, who hailed from Daura, Katsina State, in Nigeria’s North-West zone previously served as the country’s military head of state between January 1984 and August 1985.
Business
AFRAA welcomes Enugu Air, strengthens Nigeria’s Domestic Aviation growth
The African Airlines Association (AFRAA) has admitted Enugu Air as Member, extending the Association’s membership base in Nigeria’s fast-growing domestic aviation market and reaffirming AFRAA’s commitment to supporting the continued development of African carriers across the continent.
This was announced by AFRAA in Nairobi on Wednesday, making Enugu Air the 50th Member of the association, joining the AFRAA airline fraternity, collectively representing more than 85 per cent of total international traffic carried by African airlines.
Speaking on the occasion, AFRAA Secretary General, Mr. Abdérahmane Berthé, said, “We are delighted to welcome Enugu Air into the AFRAA fraternity.

“As a state-backed carrier serving Nigeria’s rapidly expanding domestic market, Enugu Air represents the kind of homegrown investment that is vital to building resilient air connectivity across our continent.

“We look forward to supporting the airline through the IOSA certification process and to its continued growth within the AFRAA membership, as we work together to advance the cause of unified African skies.”
Reacting to the development, the CEO of Enugu, Capt Tolu Ita, described the admission into AFRAA as a major milestone in the airline’s short history.
“We are honoured to join the AFRAA fraternity. This membership underscores Enugu Air’s commitment to safe, reliable, and affordable air travel for Nigerians while contributing to the vision of a unified African aviation market.
“We look forward to collaborating with fellow AFRAA members and leveraging the association’s support as we grow our network and pursue IOSA certification,” Tolu stated.
Founded on July 7, 2025, Enugu Air commenced commercial operations with a fleet of Embraer E170/E190/E195 aircraft.
The airline, which has its headquarters in Enugu and operates from the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, currently serves nine domestic destinations including Enugu, Abuja, Lagos, Port Harcourt, Kano and Benin City.
As part of the airline’s growth strategy, Enugu Air plans to expand further across Nigeria and, in subsequent phases, to launch regional and international routes across Africa, Europe, and beyond.
As part of its growth strategy, Enugu Air plans to expand further across Nigeria and, in subsequent phases, to launch regional and international routes across Africa, Europe, and beyond.
The admission of Enugu Air aligns with AFRAA’s strategic priorities and strengthens the voice of the association. Nigeria, as Africa’s most populous nation and one of its fastest-growing economies, remains central to the realization of a truly integrated African aviation market.
Meanwhile, founded in Accra, Ghana, in April 1968, and headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, AFRAA’s mission is to promote, serve African Airlines and champion Africa’s aviation industry.
The association envisions a sustainable, interconnected and affordable air transport industry in Africa, where African airlines become key players and drivers of African economic development.
AFRAA membership cuts across the entire continent and includes all the major intercontinental African operators.
The association’s members represent over 85% of total international traffic carried by African airlines.
News
Aiyedatiwa appoints 1,004 aides, picks commissioner, three advisers
Ondo State Governor, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, has approved a fresh round of appointments involving a commissioner, three Special Advisers and 1,000 other aides.
The appointments comprise 90 Senior Special Assistants and 910 Special Assistants, with the governor saying the move is intended to reinforce his administration and improve its reach across the state.
Erelu Taibat Yemi Oloruntoba, from Akoko North-West Local Government Area, has been nominated as Commissioner for Special Duties. Her nomination has been transmitted to the state House of Assembly for consideration and confirmation.
The governor also appointed Hon. Abimbola Fajolu as Special Adviser on Environment, Chief Ade Adeniyi as Special Adviser on Rural and Community Development, and Mr Muyiwa Ogunyemi as Special Adviser on Transport.
Among those named as Senior Special Assistants are Erelu Toyin Ogungbure, Women Mobilisation (South); Bidemi Obayangbon, Forestry; Gboluge Olufunmi Alex, Community Engagement (South); Hon. Akin Adeniyi, Community Engagement (Central); and Obayan Theophilus Ayodeji, Community Engagement (North).

Others include Kelvin Solomon, Students Affairs; Adeolu Iwakun, Volunteer Services; Samson Job Bazuaye, Oil and Gas; Fade Ojamomi, Youth Empowerment and Job Creation; Sam Adepoju, Public Engagement; and Alhaji Samad Orijeminiyi, Scholarship.
Also appointed are Victor Omodara, Grassroots Mobilisation; Abayomi Adefolalu, Photography; and Alhaji Abdukadiri Adenoyi, Prince Nzuoma Egbulefu and Alhaji Garba Goni, all for Non-Indigenes.
News
40 feared dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto
About 40 people are suspected to have lost their lives after a boat carrying farmers to their rice farms capsized in Gorau town, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
The incident occurred while the victims were crossing a stream to access their farms.
An eyewitness said more than 70 people were on the boat when it capsized shortly after taking off.
The village head was among those on board but he was reportedly rescued.
“So far, we have recovered about 40 bodies, while six people, including the village head, were rescued,” a local journalist who was at the scene, Sharhabilu Yahuza Kiliya, told our reporter.

According to him, the victims comprised farm owners and labourers who had been engaged to harvest rice.
“The canoe capsized shortly after take-off. Rescue operations are still ongoing, with local divers searching for those still missing and recovering bodies,” he said. (Daily Trust)
-
News1 day agoBREAKING: Gunmen attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo shortly after receiving Certificate of Return
-
International1 day agoCanada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence
-
Uncategorized1 day ago2027: Obi unfolds agenda as campaigns begin
-
News1 day agoLagos shuts churches over noise pollution
-
News1 day agoTwo shot as police attempt to arrest suspects in Anambra
-
News2 days agoWhy I won’t apologise to Okpebholo — Davido
-
News1 day agoEven if Tinubu appoints Seyi as INEC chairman, he’ll be defeated in 2027 — Dalung
-
News2 days agoAccess Bank asks court to recover N1.3bn stolen by Yahoo Boys




