
News
Iran fires back at Israel after onslaught targets nuclear facilities
Iran fired a barrage of ballistic missiles at Israel in a counter-strike Friday, after an unprecedented onslaught hammered the Islamic republic’s top military brass and targeted its nuclear facilities and bases.
Air raids sirens and explosions rang out across Israel after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu took to the airways to issue a word of caution, saying he expected “several waves of Iranian attacks” in response.
Smoke could later be seen billowing above the skyscrapers in downtown Tel Aviv, according to an AFP journalist, as Iran’s Revolutionary Guard said it attacked dozens of targets in Israel.

Fire and smoke rise from a building, reportedly hit by a missile fired from Iran, in central Tel Aviv on June 13, 2025. (Photo by Jack GUEZ / AFP)
Several people were trapped in a high-rise building in central Israel, the firefighting service said.
The salvo came hours after Israel said its wide-spread air raids had killed several top Iranian generals, including most of the senior leadership of the Revolutionary Guards’ air force, following several rounds of strikes that hit about 200 targets including nuclear facilities.

As the two sides traded blows, Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei vowed to bring Israel “to ruin” during a televised address.
“The armed forces of the Islamic republic will inflict heavy blows upon this malevolent enemy,” Khamenei told the nation.
This picture shows a rocket trail in the sky above Jerusalem on June 13, 2025. (Photo by Ahmad GHARABLI / AFP)
In the onslaught’s wake, Trump urged Iran on Friday to “make a deal” on its nuclear programme, warning of “even more brutal” attacks to come.
The United States underlined that it was not involved in the Israeli action and warned Iran not to attack its personnel or interests, but Tehran said Washington would be “responsible for consequences”.
Netanyahu said Israel — the Middle East’s only, if undeclared, nuclear poewr — struck at the “heart of Iran’s nuclear enrichment programme”, taking aim at scientists and the main uranium enrichment facility in Natanz.
The strikes would “continue as many days as it takes”, the Israeli premier said, while the military said intelligence showed Iran was approaching the “point of no return” on its nuclear programme.
The strikes killed Iran’s highest-ranking military officer, armed forces chief of staff Mohammad Bagheri, and the head of the Revolutionary Guards, Hossein Salami, Iranian media reported.
Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi rejected “calls for Iran to show restraint in the face of Israeli aggression”, according to a statement.
Security Council meeting
Khamenei swiftly appointed new commanders to replace those killed, while state media said a senior adviser to the supreme leader had himself been wounded.
“The senior chain of command of the air force of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps had assembled in an underground command centre to prepare for an attack on the State of Israel,” the Israeli military said, adding that its attacks had killed most of them.
Iran confirmed the Guards aerospace commander had been killed, along with “a group of brave and dedicated fighters”.
Israeli troops and first responders gather near a building, reportedly hit by a missile fired from Iran, in central Tel Aviv on June 13, 2025. (Photo by Jack GUEZ / AFP)
AFP images showed a gaping hole in the side of a Tehran residential building that appeared to have sustained a targeted strike.
State media reported continued attacks and interceptions well into the evening Friday, including on the northwest where it said 18 people were killed.
Tasnim news agency said six nuclear scientists were among the dead.
The UN Security Council said it would hold an emergency meeting at 1900 GMT.
The meeting was requested by Iran, and supported by Russia and China, a diplomatic source told AFP.
‘Scathing response’
In Tehran, where the streets were largely deserted, 62-year-old retiree Ahmad Moadi said: “How much longer are we going to live in fear?”
“As an Iranian, I believe there must be an overwhelming response, a scathing response.”
Air traffic was halted at Tehran’s main gateway, Imam Khomeini International Airport, while Iraq, Jordan and Syria closed their airspace.
Israel declared a state of emergency as anxieties grew amid a wave of uncertainty gripping the region.
“I’m worried for my children, and also about my livelihood, because this affects the market. You can’t work, you can’t do anything,” Tel Aviv resident Vered Saar told AFP.
Oil prices surged while stocks sank on the Israeli strikes, which came after Trump’s warning of a “massive conflict” in the region.
Trump had also said the United States was drawing down staff in the Middle East, after Iran had threatened to target US military bases in the region if conflict broke out.
Prior to the strikes, Trump said he believed a deal on Iran’s nuclear programme was “fairly close”, cautioning however that an Israeli attack on its arch foe could wreck the chances of an agreement.
Radiation ‘unchanged’ in Natanz area
With the violence raising questions on whether a sixth round of talks planned between the US and Iran would go ahead on Sunday in Oman, Trump said Washington was “hoping to get back to the negotiating table”.
Confirming Natanz had been among Israel’s targets, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said radiation levels outside the site “remained unchanged”.
“Most of the damage is on the surface level,” said the Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran’s spokesman Behrouz Kamalvandi.
Fawaz Gerges, a professor of international relations at the London School of Economics, said: “I think Israel has declared all-out war against Iran.”
The United States and other Western governments have repeatedly accused Iran of seeking a nuclear weapon, an ambition it has consistently denied.
Israel again called for global action after the IAEA accused Iran on Thursday of non-compliance with its obligations.
The agency later said it would hold an extraordinary meeting of its board of governors in the coming days.
Iran currently enriches uranium to 60 percent, far above the 3.67-percent limit set by a largely moribund 2015 agreement with major powers, but still short of the 90 percent threshold needed for a nuclear warhead.
AFP
Business
AFRAA welcomes Enugu Air, strengthens Nigeria’s Domestic Aviation growth
The African Airlines Association (AFRAA) has admitted Enugu Air as Member, extending the Association’s membership base in Nigeria’s fast-growing domestic aviation market and reaffirming AFRAA’s commitment to supporting the continued development of African carriers across the continent.
This was announced by AFRAA in Nairobi on Wednesday, making Enugu Air the 50th Member of the association, joining the AFRAA airline fraternity, collectively representing more than 85 per cent of total international traffic carried by African airlines.
Speaking on the occasion, AFRAA Secretary General, Mr. Abdérahmane Berthé, said, “We are delighted to welcome Enugu Air into the AFRAA fraternity.

“As a state-backed carrier serving Nigeria’s rapidly expanding domestic market, Enugu Air represents the kind of homegrown investment that is vital to building resilient air connectivity across our continent.

“We look forward to supporting the airline through the IOSA certification process and to its continued growth within the AFRAA membership, as we work together to advance the cause of unified African skies.”
Reacting to the development, the CEO of Enugu, Capt Tolu Ita, described the admission into AFRAA as a major milestone in the airline’s short history.
“We are honoured to join the AFRAA fraternity. This membership underscores Enugu Air’s commitment to safe, reliable, and affordable air travel for Nigerians while contributing to the vision of a unified African aviation market.
“We look forward to collaborating with fellow AFRAA members and leveraging the association’s support as we grow our network and pursue IOSA certification,” Tolu stated.
Founded on July 7, 2025, Enugu Air commenced commercial operations with a fleet of Embraer E170/E190/E195 aircraft.
The airline, which has its headquarters in Enugu and operates from the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, currently serves nine domestic destinations including Enugu, Abuja, Lagos, Port Harcourt, Kano and Benin City.
As part of the airline’s growth strategy, Enugu Air plans to expand further across Nigeria and, in subsequent phases, to launch regional and international routes across Africa, Europe, and beyond.
As part of its growth strategy, Enugu Air plans to expand further across Nigeria and, in subsequent phases, to launch regional and international routes across Africa, Europe, and beyond.
The admission of Enugu Air aligns with AFRAA’s strategic priorities and strengthens the voice of the association. Nigeria, as Africa’s most populous nation and one of its fastest-growing economies, remains central to the realization of a truly integrated African aviation market.
Meanwhile, founded in Accra, Ghana, in April 1968, and headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, AFRAA’s mission is to promote, serve African Airlines and champion Africa’s aviation industry.
The association envisions a sustainable, interconnected and affordable air transport industry in Africa, where African airlines become key players and drivers of African economic development.
AFRAA membership cuts across the entire continent and includes all the major intercontinental African operators.
The association’s members represent over 85% of total international traffic carried by African airlines.
News
Aiyedatiwa appoints 1,004 aides, picks commissioner, three advisers
Ondo State Governor, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, has approved a fresh round of appointments involving a commissioner, three Special Advisers and 1,000 other aides.
The appointments comprise 90 Senior Special Assistants and 910 Special Assistants, with the governor saying the move is intended to reinforce his administration and improve its reach across the state.
Erelu Taibat Yemi Oloruntoba, from Akoko North-West Local Government Area, has been nominated as Commissioner for Special Duties. Her nomination has been transmitted to the state House of Assembly for consideration and confirmation.
The governor also appointed Hon. Abimbola Fajolu as Special Adviser on Environment, Chief Ade Adeniyi as Special Adviser on Rural and Community Development, and Mr Muyiwa Ogunyemi as Special Adviser on Transport.
Among those named as Senior Special Assistants are Erelu Toyin Ogungbure, Women Mobilisation (South); Bidemi Obayangbon, Forestry; Gboluge Olufunmi Alex, Community Engagement (South); Hon. Akin Adeniyi, Community Engagement (Central); and Obayan Theophilus Ayodeji, Community Engagement (North).

Others include Kelvin Solomon, Students Affairs; Adeolu Iwakun, Volunteer Services; Samson Job Bazuaye, Oil and Gas; Fade Ojamomi, Youth Empowerment and Job Creation; Sam Adepoju, Public Engagement; and Alhaji Samad Orijeminiyi, Scholarship.
Also appointed are Victor Omodara, Grassroots Mobilisation; Abayomi Adefolalu, Photography; and Alhaji Abdukadiri Adenoyi, Prince Nzuoma Egbulefu and Alhaji Garba Goni, all for Non-Indigenes.
News
40 feared dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto
About 40 people are suspected to have lost their lives after a boat carrying farmers to their rice farms capsized in Gorau town, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
The incident occurred while the victims were crossing a stream to access their farms.
An eyewitness said more than 70 people were on the boat when it capsized shortly after taking off.
The village head was among those on board but he was reportedly rescued.
“So far, we have recovered about 40 bodies, while six people, including the village head, were rescued,” a local journalist who was at the scene, Sharhabilu Yahuza Kiliya, told our reporter.

According to him, the victims comprised farm owners and labourers who had been engaged to harvest rice.
“The canoe capsized shortly after take-off. Rescue operations are still ongoing, with local divers searching for those still missing and recovering bodies,” he said. (Daily Trust)
-
News1 day agoBREAKING: Gunmen attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo shortly after receiving Certificate of Return
-
International2 days agoCanada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence
-
Uncategorized2 days ago2027: Obi unfolds agenda as campaigns begin
-
News1 day agoLagos shuts churches over noise pollution
-
News1 day agoTwo shot as police attempt to arrest suspects in Anambra
-
News2 days agoWhy I won’t apologise to Okpebholo — Davido
-
News1 day agoEven if Tinubu appoints Seyi as INEC chairman, he’ll be defeated in 2027 — Dalung
-
News2 days agoAccess Bank asks court to recover N1.3bn stolen by Yahoo Boys




