
News
Peter Obi faults ₦700,000 levy on Onitsha traders, urges compassionate economic measures
Mr. Peter Obi, former Governor of Anambra State and 2023 Labour Party presidential candidate, has called on the authorities to adopt a more humane and pragmatic approach in resolving the ongoing impasse surrounding the closure and conditional reopening of the Onitsha Head Bridge Market.
In a strongly worded statement, Obi expressed deep concern over the reported demand of ₦700,000 from individual shop owners as a condition for reopening their stores, ostensibly due to structural deficiencies.
The fees, which come in addition to other fines reportedly levied based on alleged individual infractions, have provoked widespread unease among traders who say they are being unfairly punished for issues beyond their control.
Obi, who had earlier visited the market, expressed support in the fight against counterfeit drugs and substandard goods, said he had hoped that investigations would be swiftly concluded and the market reopened promptly. He emphasised that his support was premised on the belief that justice would prevail, with clear distinctions made between genuine violators and law-abiding traders.
“It is deeply unfortunate,” Obi lamented, “that those same shop owners are now being asked to pay ₦700,000 for structural deficiencies that are not of their own making. In cases like this, individuals concerned should be held accountable through due process, while innocent traders should not be collectively punished.”

Highlighting the broader economic context, Obi drew attention to the plight of over seven million Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) that have collapsed in Nigeria over the past two years. “Our MSMEs are at a ‘we can’t breathe’ stage,” he noted, “and the very system that should be offering them oxygen to support their survival is instead suffocating them.”
He further argued that even if such charges are backed by statute, they should be enforced with empathy, especially given the current economic realities. “The emphasis should be on ensuring compliance with regulations while granting these business owners reasonable time to meet such requirements,” he stated. “Imposing measures that might cripple them further serves no one’s interest.”
Obi called for constructive dialogue and inclusive engagement with all stakeholders to find a solution that preserves both regulatory standards and economic livelihoods. He warned that prolonged hardship might push already vulnerable citizens into desperation and criminality.
“These shop owners have already endured prolonged closures, mounting unpaid bills, and severe economic strain,” he said. “To now impose additional financial burdens on them for structural issues beyond their control is not only unjust but counterproductive.”
Reaffirming his support for the eradication of fake and substandard goods, Obi urged the authorities to approach enforcement with a sense of justice and compassion. He concluded with a passionate appeal: “It is time to act with compassion and common sense – drop the charges, reopen the market, and allow these entrepreneurs the opportunity to rebuild their livelihoods and contribute to the nation’s economy.”
News
Two shot as police attempt to arrest suspects in Anambra
Two persons sustained gunshot injuries on Wednesday during an attempted arrest by police officers at the River Niger Head Bridge, Onitsha, Anambra State, causing panic and disrupting vehicular and pedestrian movement in the area.
The incident, which occurred around noon, caused gridlock along the busy Onitsha-Awka Expressway, as a confrontation reportedly broke out between the security operatives and some hoodlums.
Eyewitnesses near the scene said the victims were shot during the confrontation and later became unconscious before they were rushed to a nearby hospital.
One of the sources said, “The incident occurred this afternoon. It arose from a confrontation between the police officers and the victims. They were being stopped by the officers for questioning. In an attempt to arrest them, they resisted the arrest and the police fired some shots at them.
“The incident resulted in heavy skirmishes around the Bridgehead Market as people scampered to safety. The area remained in chaos until the arrival of another batch of police team. The victims were later rushed to a nearby hospital.”

Confirming the incident, the spokesperson for the Anambra State Police Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, said the incident occurred when the suspects allegedly resisted arrest, resulting in gunshot injuries.
Ikenga said the Commissioner of Police, Nnanna Oji Ama, had visited the scene and addressed the crowd, adding that an investigation had commenced to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the incident.
According to him, the CP subsequently visited the victims at the hospital, where he assured them of the command’s support and pledged to personally ensure that their medical expenses were covered.
He said, “The Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Command, CP Nnanna Oji, while addressing the crowd in Onitsha over the incident arising from a confrontation during an attempted arrest, stated that the immediate priority of the Command is to ensure that the victims recover fully.
“The incident occurred when suspects allegedly resisted arrest, resulting in gunshot injuries. The Commissioner of Police subsequently visited the victims at the hospital, where he assured them of the Command’s support and pledged to personally ensure that their medical expenses are covered.
“The CP further ordered a thorough and impartial investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident, particularly the events leading to the discharge of the firearm.
“He stressed that the investigation will establish the facts and ensure that appropriate action is taken based on its findings.
“The Commissioner of Police appealed for calm and urged members of the public to remain peaceful and allow the investigation to run its course.”
Ikenga reiterated the command’s commitment to professionalism, accountability, respect for human life and the rule of law.
“Meanwhile, traffic and human movement around the Head Bridge area have been de-escalated, with free flow of vehicular and human movement now restored,” he added.
News
Lagos shuts churches over noise pollution
Three churches in Lagos State have been shut down by the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA) over noise pollution as part of an enforcement exercise targeting 11 establishments in Agege and Mushin.
The affected churches are Holy Temple of Christ on Ayetoro Street, behind NIPCO Filling Station, Mushin; Christ Covenant Gospel Church, Western District, along Ikorodu Road, Fadeyi, Mushin; and Christ Apostolic Church, Oye Iyanu, located at Mushin Road, Church Bus Stop, Itire.
LASEPA carried out the enforcement operation on Tuesday after the affected establishments had received warnings and notices over environmental violations.
The agency said the establishments were given opportunities to correct the problems but failed to meet the required standards.
The shutdown of the three churches was linked to noise pollution, with the agency maintaining that religious activities and other operations must comply with environmental regulations to protect residents and maintain peace within communities.

LASEPA also sealed Akorohunfayo Central Mosque on Akorohunfayo Street, Fadeyi, Mushin, over noise pollution.
Other establishments affected included Biolarique Bakery Academy on Mushin Road, Mushin, which was sealed for failing to comply with the agency’s directives.
Tiles & Marbles on Silver Street, Olorunsogo, Mushin, was also shut over air pollution.
Five scrap yards operating in Agege and Mushin were equally sealed.
The facilities were accused of various environmental offences, including failure to provide evidence of an E-Waste Permit, environmental pollution and non-compliance with directives issued by LASEPA.
The affected scrap yards are Abubakar Scrap at Pipeline, Ifako-Ijaiye, Agege; Benjamin Scrap Yard on Ladoje Street, Oko Oba, Agege; Starlas and Sons Scrap Yard, also on Ladoje Street, Oko Oba, Agege; Jamin Scrap Yard at Jungle Bus Stop, Iju Road, Agege; and a Scrap Yard on Olu Aina Street, Daleko, Mushin.
LASEPA General Manager, Dr Babatunde Ajayi, said the agency would continue to monitor establishments across Lagos and enforce environmental regulations where operators fail to comply.
He urged religious organisations, business owners, facility operators, scrap dealers and other residents to obtain the necessary permits, follow environmental rules and take steps to prevent activities that could affect public health or the wellbeing of people living around their facilities.
The agency said further monitoring and enforcement exercises would continue across Lagos as part of efforts to maintain a cleaner and safer environment.
News
Gov Mbah appoints 23 Special Advisers, Senior Special Assistants
Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State has approved the appointment of 23 Special Advisers and Senior Special Assistants to support his administration in various areas of governance.
The appointments, contained in a Public Service Announcement signed by the Secretary to the Enugu State Government, Prof. Chidiebere Onyia, on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, take effect immediately.
Nine of the appointees were appointed Special Advisers, while 14 were appointed Senior Special Assistants.
Among those appointed as Special Advisers are Hon. Chukwudi Ezinwa, Labour Union and Association Matters; Hon. Sunday Nnamani (Orlando), Special Duties; Mr. Williams Chukwu, Agriculture; Prince Afam Agana, Infrastructure Compliance; and Humphrey Onyima, Investment Strategy and Public Relations.
Others are Hon. Tony Ugwu, Rural Development; Chief Ernest Nweze, Party Coordination and Mobilisation; Hon. Emeka Onunze, Monitoring and Evaluation; and Mr. Robinson Odo (mni), Labour and Productivity.
Those appointed as Senior Special Assistants include Pastor Kenneth Asogwa (Ebube Muonso), Heritage and Community Relations; Pastor Tochukwu Ogbodo, Social Engagement; Barr. Lucky Chukwu, Public Affairs; Belonwu Nnaji, Cultural Orientation; and Hon. Steve Odo, Tourism.

Also appointed are Hon. Francis Ikewette Ede, Public Communication; Mr. Sunny Okafor, General Duties; Hon. Chinedu Okwu Otaka, Social Orientation and Mobilisation; Otaba Cosmas Ikechukwu, Protection of Public Utilities; Pius Okeagu, Assets Management; and Rt. Hon. Innocent Emeka Ugwu, Inter-Party Affairs.
The remaining appointees are Mrs. Eucharia Offor, Human Resource Management; Mr. Kenneth Oforma, Policy and Communication; and Kelvin Ede, Research and Strategy.
The state government said the appointments are effective immediately.
The new appointments are expected to strengthen the administration’s capacity across key sectors, including agriculture, infrastructure, investment, labour, rural development, public communication, tourism, human resources and community relations.
The full statement:
ENUGU STATE GOVERNMENT
OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY TO THE STATE GOVERNMENT
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
The Governor of Enugu State, His Excellency, Dr. Peter Ndubuisi Mbah, has approved the appointment of the following persons as Special Advisers (SPAs) and Senior Special Assistants (SSAs):
1. *Hon. Chukwudi Ezinwa* — Special Adviser on Labour Union and Association Matters
2. *Hon. Sunday Nnamani (Orlando)* — Special Adviser on Special Duties
3. *Mr. Williams Chukwu* — Special Adviser on Agriculture
4. *Prince Afam Agana* — Special Adviser on Infrastructure Compliance
5. *Humphrey Onyima* — Special Adviser on Investment Strategy and Public Relations
6. *Hon. Tony Ugwu* — Special Adviser on Rural Development
7. *Chief Ernest Nweze* — Special Adviser on Party Coordination and Mobilisation
8. *Hon. Emeka Onunze* — Special Adviser on Monitoring and Evaluation
9. *Mr. Robinson Odo (mni) — Special Adviser on Labour and Productivity*
10. *Pastor Kenneth Asogwa (Ebube Muonso)* — Senior Special Assistant on Heritage and Community Relations
11. *Pastor Tochukwu Ogbodo* — Senior Special Assistant on Social Engagement
12. *Barr. Lucky Chukwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Public Affairs
13. *Belonwu Nnaji* — Senior Special Assistant on Cultural Orientation
14. *Hon. Steve Odo* — Senior Special Assistant on Tourism
15. *Hon. Francis Ikewette Ede* — Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication
16. *Mr. Sunny Okafor* — Senior Special Assistant on General Duties
17. *Hon. Chinedu Okwu Otaka* — Senior Special Assistant on Social Orientation and Mobilisation
18. *Otaba Cosmas Ikechukwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Protection of Public Utilities
19. *Pius Okeagu* — Senior Special Assistant on Assets Management
20. *Rt. Hon. Innocent Emeka Ugwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Inter-Party Affairs
21. *Mrs. Eucharia Offor* — Senior Special Assistant on Human Resource Management
22. *Mr. Kenneth Oforma* — Senior Special Assistant on Policy and Communication
23. *Kelvin Ede — Senior Special Assistant on Research and Strategy*
The appointments take effect immediately.
Signed:
Prof. Chidiebere Onyia
Secretary to the Enugu State Government
Wednesday, 19th August, 2026
-
International14 hours agoCanada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence
-
Uncategorized14 hours ago2027: Obi unfolds agenda as campaigns begin
-
News10 hours agoBREAKING: Gunmen attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo shortly after receiving Certificate of Return
-
News21 hours agoWhy I won’t apologise to Okpebholo — Davido
-
News19 hours agoAccess Bank asks court to recover N1.3bn stolen by Yahoo Boys
-
Opinion2 days agoNational Ranching Policy: Whose Land, Whose Ranches, Whose Future?
-
News20 hours agoNDLEA busts cocaine cartel, arrests social media influencer KC Luxury in Lagos
-
News12 hours agoEven if Tinubu appoints Seyi as INEC chairman, he’ll be defeated in 2027 — Dalung




