Connect with us

News

Wike gives Fubara conditions to stop impeachment

Published

on

Fubara blows hot, tells Wike: ‘Let go of Rivers, you can’t win all fights’
Nyesom Wike and Sim Fubara
Spread the love

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has given Governor Siminalayi Fubara two conditions he must meet, if he wants the impeachment process initiated against him by the Martin Amaewhule-led Rivers State House of Assembly to be dropped.

The Assembly, on Monday, served a notice of misconduct on Governor Fubara, thereby starting a potential impeachment process.

The notice was contained in a letter signed by Speaker Amaewhule and addressed to the Governor.

But even as the impeachment process has been activated, TheNiche reliably gathered that Wike has said that only two things will make him stand down the impeachment.

A source said the former governor wants control of the local governments which Fubara took over from him after last year’s elections.

Maduka College Advert

“The second condition for peace that Wike is insisting on is that the governor must sign an undertaking that he will not run again for election in 2027,” our source said.

“Wike summoned the lawmakers loyal to him to Abuja yesterday and they only returned to Port Harcourt this morning. And contrary to the impression that the impeachment notice was signed on March 14, it was only signed this morning when they returned from Abuja.

“That is the only reason they reconvened after previously adjourning sine die.”

It is not yet clear what Fubara’s position on the two conditions are.

But to pile pressure on the embattled governor, the lawmakers loyal to Wike who have been briefed on these conditions went ahead to serve the governor with the impeachment notice, accusing him of gross misconduct.

The letter of misconduct was signed by 26 members of the House purportedly on March 14, 2025, saying that it was in compliance with Section 188 of the Nigerian Constitution as amended.

According to the House of Assembly Members, the notice is “in compliance with Section 188 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended) and other extant laws”.

The letter cites several constitutional breaches and infractions by the Governor saying, “We the undersigned members of the Rivers State House of Assembly hereby forward to you a Notice of Gross Misconduct by the Governor of Rivers State in the performance of the functions of his office.

“Reckless and unconstitutional expenditure of public funds contrary to Sections 120, 121 (1)(2) and 122 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended).

“Hindering or obstructing the Rivers State House of Assembly which is another arm of government protected by the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended) from performing her constitutional duties”.

Other acts of misconduct leveled against Governor Fubara include, “Appointment of persons to occupy offices/positions in the Rivers State Government without allowing for the requirement of screening and confirmation as prescribed by the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended), other extant laws but making the request for screening to persons other than the legitimate Rivers State House of Assembly.

“Seizure of salaries, allowances as well as funds standing to the credit of the legitimate Rivers State House of Assembly contrary to Section 121(3) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended) and other extant laws.

“Seizure of the Salary of the Clerk of the Rivers State House of Assembly- Mr. Emeka Amadi.”

Consequently, the House of Assembly members asserted that Governor Fubara has demonstrated his inability to govern in line with the Nigerian Constitution and his oath of office.

“Mr. Speaker, we conclude by stating that the Governor has shown that he is not prepared to govern Rivers State in line with the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended) and his oath of office”.

A similar notice was served to Deputy Governor Prof. Ngozi Odu, accusing her of complicity in the alleged misconduct.

“That Her Excellency, Prof. Ngozi Nma Odu, Deputy Governor of Rivers State supported and connived with Sir Siminalayi Fubara GSSRS, Governor, Rivers State and refused to present the Rivers State Appropriation Bill, 2024 to the Rivers State House of Assembly contrary to Section 121(1)(2) of the Constitution and disobeyed the order of the Federal High Court which declared that “thus as it stands in law, no Appropriation Bill of Rivers State has been presented neither has any of such Bill being passed into law as the purported presentation, passage and signing into law of the Appropriation Bill 2024 of Rivers State is void ab initio” and ordered him to present the Appropriation Bill 2024 to the House.

“That Her Excellency, Prof. Ngozi Nma Odu DSSRS, Deputy Governor of Rivers State supported or backed His Excellency, Sir Siminalayi Fubara GSSRS, Governor of Rivers State in the State Executive Council meetings as they authorized or approved withdrawals from the Consolidated Revenue Fund of Rivers State in the 2024 financial year of Rivers State without an appropriation law duly passed by the Rivers State House of Assembly contrary to Section 120 of the Constitution,” the letter alleged in part.

The House gave Governor Fubara with his deputy, 14 days to the respond to the allegations leveled against them.

Meanwhile, the state Commissioner for Information, Joseph Johnson at a press conference on Monday said Rivers State was facing a gloomy future due to the attitude of the lawmakers who are bent on removing the Governor from power.

“It is now common knowledge that members of the Rt. Hon. Martins Amaewhule-led Rivers State House of Assembly have by their actions refused to allow the Governor of Rivers State, His Excellency, Sir (Dr.) Siminalayi Fubara, GSSRS to fully implement the judgment of the Supreme Court on the long drawn political and legal battle that has lingered since after the ill-fated attempt to impeach him on October 30, 2023.

“Right from when this unjustified onslaught against Governor Fubara started, the gentleman has never left anyone in doubt about his unwavering commitment to peace and resolute determination to put Rivers people FIRST over and above personal and/or sectional interests”.

Johnson recalled that Siminalayi Fubara, personally issued and signed a letter addressed to Rt. Honourable Martin Amaewhule, Speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly, formally notifying him and unambiguously indicating his intention to come before the honourable members of the State Legislature to lay the 2025 budget before them on Wednesday, March 12, 2025 for consideration. He followed this up by making phone calls to the Honourable Speaker.

“Sadly, Governor Siminalayi Fubara, accompanied by government officials, was denied access into the Legislative Quarters where the RSHA members currently hold their sitting on the appointed day, that is, Wednesday, March 12, 2025”.

He however appealed to the lawmakers not to embark on a futile image laundry by wrongly claiming that Governor Siminalayi Fubara who by all intents and purposes “is prepared, willing and ready to re-present the 2025 budget and carry out full implementation of all aspects of the bizarre and utterly controversial judgment of the Apex Court for the sake of peace, is being misrepresented and painted in bad colour as not ready to comply with the judgment.” (The Niche)

News

Two shot as police attempt to arrest suspects in Anambra

Published

on

Anambra CP visits the victims at the hospital.
Spread the love

Two persons sustained gunshot injuries on Wednesday during an attempted arrest by police officers at the River Niger Head Bridge, Onitsha, Anambra State, causing panic and disrupting vehicular and pedestrian movement in the area.

The incident, which occurred around noon, caused gridlock along the busy Onitsha-Awka Expressway, as a confrontation reportedly broke out between the security operatives and some hoodlums.

Eyewitnesses near the scene said the victims were shot during the confrontation and later became unconscious before they were rushed to a nearby hospital.

One of the sources said, “The incident occurred this afternoon. It arose from a confrontation between the police officers and the victims. They were being stopped by the officers for questioning. In an attempt to arrest them, they resisted the arrest and the police fired some shots at them.

“The incident resulted in heavy skirmishes around the Bridgehead Market as people scampered to safety. The area remained in chaos until the arrival of another batch of police team. The victims were later rushed to a nearby hospital.”

Maduka College Advert

Confirming the incident, the spokesperson for the Anambra State Police Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, said the incident occurred when the suspects allegedly resisted arrest, resulting in gunshot injuries.

Ikenga said the Commissioner of Police, Nnanna Oji Ama, had visited the scene and addressed the crowd, adding that an investigation had commenced to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the incident.

According to him, the CP subsequently visited the victims at the hospital, where he assured them of the command’s support and pledged to personally ensure that their medical expenses were covered.

He said, “The Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Command, CP Nnanna Oji, while addressing the crowd in Onitsha over the incident arising from a confrontation during an attempted arrest, stated that the immediate priority of the Command is to ensure that the victims recover fully.

“The incident occurred when suspects allegedly resisted arrest, resulting in gunshot injuries. The Commissioner of Police subsequently visited the victims at the hospital, where he assured them of the Command’s support and pledged to personally ensure that their medical expenses are covered.

“The CP further ordered a thorough and impartial investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident, particularly the events leading to the discharge of the firearm.

“He stressed that the investigation will establish the facts and ensure that appropriate action is taken based on its findings.

“The Commissioner of Police appealed for calm and urged members of the public to remain peaceful and allow the investigation to run its course.”

Ikenga reiterated the command’s commitment to professionalism, accountability, respect for human life and the rule of law.

“Meanwhile, traffic and human movement around the Head Bridge area have been de-escalated, with free flow of vehicular and human movement now restored,” he added.

Continue Reading

News

Lagos shuts churches over noise pollution

Published

on

Lagos Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu
Spread the love

Three churches in Lagos State have been shut down by the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA) over noise pollution as part of an enforcement exercise targeting 11 establishments in Agege and Mushin.

The affected churches are Holy Temple of Christ on Ayetoro Street, behind NIPCO Filling Station, Mushin; Christ Covenant Gospel Church, Western District, along Ikorodu Road, Fadeyi, Mushin; and Christ Apostolic Church, Oye Iyanu, located at Mushin Road, Church Bus Stop, Itire.

LASEPA carried out the enforcement operation on Tuesday after the affected establishments had received warnings and notices over environmental violations.

The agency said the establishments were given opportunities to correct the problems but failed to meet the required standards.

The shutdown of the three churches was linked to noise pollution, with the agency maintaining that religious activities and other operations must comply with environmental regulations to protect residents and maintain peace within communities.

Maduka College Advert

LASEPA also sealed Akorohunfayo Central Mosque on Akorohunfayo Street, Fadeyi, Mushin, over noise pollution.

Other establishments affected included Biolarique Bakery Academy on Mushin Road, Mushin, which was sealed for failing to comply with the agency’s directives.

Tiles & Marbles on Silver Street, Olorunsogo, Mushin, was also shut over air pollution.

Five scrap yards operating in Agege and Mushin were equally sealed.

The facilities were accused of various environmental offences, including failure to provide evidence of an E-Waste Permit, environmental pollution and non-compliance with directives issued by LASEPA.

The affected scrap yards are Abubakar Scrap at Pipeline, Ifako-Ijaiye, Agege; Benjamin Scrap Yard on Ladoje Street, Oko Oba, Agege; Starlas and Sons Scrap Yard, also on Ladoje Street, Oko Oba, Agege; Jamin Scrap Yard at Jungle Bus Stop, Iju Road, Agege; and a Scrap Yard on Olu Aina Street, Daleko, Mushin.

LASEPA General Manager, Dr Babatunde Ajayi, said the agency would continue to monitor establishments across Lagos and enforce environmental regulations where operators fail to comply.

He urged religious organisations, business owners, facility operators, scrap dealers and other residents to obtain the necessary permits, follow environmental rules and take steps to prevent activities that could affect public health or the wellbeing of people living around their facilities.

The agency said further monitoring and enforcement exercises would continue across Lagos as part of efforts to maintain a cleaner and safer environment.

Continue Reading

News

Gov Mbah appoints 23 Special Advisers, Senior Special Assistants

Published

on

Enugu Governor Dr Peter Mbah
Spread the love

Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State has approved the appointment of 23 Special Advisers and Senior Special Assistants to support his administration in various areas of governance.

The appointments, contained in a Public Service Announcement signed by the Secretary to the Enugu State Government, Prof. Chidiebere Onyia, on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, take effect immediately.
Nine of the appointees were appointed Special Advisers, while 14 were appointed Senior Special Assistants.

Among those appointed as Special Advisers are Hon. Chukwudi Ezinwa, Labour Union and Association Matters; Hon. Sunday Nnamani (Orlando), Special Duties; Mr. Williams Chukwu, Agriculture; Prince Afam Agana, Infrastructure Compliance; and Humphrey Onyima, Investment Strategy and Public Relations.

Others are Hon. Tony Ugwu, Rural Development; Chief Ernest Nweze, Party Coordination and Mobilisation; Hon. Emeka Onunze, Monitoring and Evaluation; and Mr. Robinson Odo (mni), Labour and Productivity.

Those appointed as Senior Special Assistants include Pastor Kenneth Asogwa (Ebube Muonso), Heritage and Community Relations; Pastor Tochukwu Ogbodo, Social Engagement; Barr. Lucky Chukwu, Public Affairs; Belonwu Nnaji, Cultural Orientation; and Hon. Steve Odo, Tourism.

Maduka College Advert

Also appointed are Hon. Francis Ikewette Ede, Public Communication; Mr. Sunny Okafor, General Duties; Hon. Chinedu Okwu Otaka, Social Orientation and Mobilisation; Otaba Cosmas Ikechukwu, Protection of Public Utilities; Pius Okeagu, Assets Management; and Rt. Hon. Innocent Emeka Ugwu, Inter-Party Affairs.

The remaining appointees are Mrs. Eucharia Offor, Human Resource Management; Mr. Kenneth Oforma, Policy and Communication; and Kelvin Ede, Research and Strategy.

The state government said the appointments are effective immediately.

The new appointments are expected to strengthen the administration’s capacity across key sectors, including agriculture, infrastructure, investment, labour, rural development, public communication, tourism, human resources and community relations.

The full statement:

ENUGU STATE GOVERNMENT

OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY TO THE STATE GOVERNMENT

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

The Governor of Enugu State, His Excellency, Dr. Peter Ndubuisi Mbah, has approved the appointment of the following persons as Special Advisers (SPAs) and Senior Special Assistants (SSAs):

1. *Hon. Chukwudi Ezinwa* — Special Adviser on Labour Union and Association Matters

2. *Hon. Sunday Nnamani (Orlando)* — Special Adviser on Special Duties

3. *Mr. Williams Chukwu* — Special Adviser on Agriculture

4. *Prince Afam Agana* — Special Adviser on Infrastructure Compliance

5. *Humphrey Onyima* — Special Adviser on Investment Strategy and Public Relations

6. *Hon. Tony Ugwu* — Special Adviser on Rural Development

7. *Chief Ernest Nweze* — Special Adviser on Party Coordination and Mobilisation

8. *Hon. Emeka Onunze* — Special Adviser on Monitoring and Evaluation

9. *Mr. Robinson Odo (mni) — Special Adviser on Labour and Productivity*

10. *Pastor Kenneth Asogwa (Ebube Muonso)* — Senior Special Assistant on Heritage and Community Relations

11. *Pastor Tochukwu Ogbodo* — Senior Special Assistant on Social Engagement

12. *Barr. Lucky Chukwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Public Affairs

13. *Belonwu Nnaji* — Senior Special Assistant on Cultural Orientation

14. *Hon. Steve Odo* — Senior Special Assistant on Tourism

15. *Hon. Francis Ikewette Ede* — Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication

16. *Mr. Sunny Okafor* — Senior Special Assistant on General Duties

17. *Hon. Chinedu Okwu Otaka* — Senior Special Assistant on Social Orientation and Mobilisation

18. *Otaba Cosmas Ikechukwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Protection of Public Utilities

19. *Pius Okeagu* — Senior Special Assistant on Assets Management

20. *Rt. Hon. Innocent Emeka Ugwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Inter-Party Affairs

21. *Mrs. Eucharia Offor* — Senior Special Assistant on Human Resource Management

22. *Mr. Kenneth Oforma* — Senior Special Assistant on Policy and Communication

23. *Kelvin Ede — Senior Special Assistant on Research and Strategy*

The appointments take effect immediately.

Signed:
Prof. Chidiebere Onyia
Secretary to the Enugu State Government

Wednesday, 19th August, 2026

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert