Connect with us

News

JUST IN: Senator Natasha suspended without pay over sexual harassment allegation against Akpabio

Published

on

Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan and Senate President Godswill Akpabio
Spread the love

The Nigerian Senate on Thursday suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan for six months over an allegation of sexual harassment she leveled against the Senate President, Godswill Obot Akpabio.

The suspension followed a report by the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges, and Public Petitions, submitted to the Committee of the Whole, citing several infractions on the Rules and Orders of the Senate.

The Committee Chairman, Senator Imasuen Neda Bernards, representing Edo South Senatorial District, submitted that the committee carried out an investigation on Wednesday, during which the female lawmaker was afforded the opportunity to state her own side of the story.

Detailing the proceedings of the committee’s investigative hearing, he said testimonies were taken to ascertain the truth or otherwise of the allegation raised by the respondent, in line with the mandate of the committee.

Senator Neda recalled that on Wednesday last week, the respondent caused “chaos and a rowdy session” when she refused a seat assigned to her and engaged in a shouting match, in discordance with the relevant provisions of the Rules and Orders of the Senate.

He said the unfortunate development was testified to by Senator Raphael Adeyemi Adaramodu when he appeared before the panel on Wednesday to defend his petition against Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.

Maduka College Advert

The Committee Chairman maintained that Senator Natasha was formally invited for investigation following the referral of a petition against her to the Committee on Ethics, Privileges, and Public Petitions.

In his contribution, Senator Jimoh Ibrahim Folorunsho, representing Ondo South Senatorial District, expressed concern over the conduct of Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, insisting that the Senate as an institution must be protected at all costs.

Jimoh said: “This institution is not about an individual. We have rules to regulate our activities.

“If we breach our own rules, the executive will not come here to enforce them, and I must commend the committee for the succinct report to the Senate.”

The Chief Whip of the Senate, Mohammed Monguno, in reference to the provision of the Constitution, maintained that “it is only in the animal kingdom that there are no rules and regulations,” insisting that the Senate will outlive everyone; hence, the institution’s rules must be protected.

Senator Bassey Aniekun Etim lamented that he watched with disappointment on February 20, 2025, “the shouting, the screaming, so I agree with all the issues raised in the report.”

The Minority Leader of the Senate, Abba Moro, pleaded for mercy and a mitigation option, stating that his submission was a reflection of all PDP Senators in the Senate.

In pleading for mercy, Moro recommended a three-month suspension, which he said was enough for the embattled lawmaker to realize her mistakes. He further argued that Nigerians are watching and seeing them as statesmen; hence, nothing should be done to bring disrepute to the chamber.

After contributions were made by some Senators from the dominant and minority parties, Senate President Godswill Obot Akpabio, in his remarks, said, “The Senator we are talking about is the wife of my very close friend and brother.

“On the day of her marriage, I slept in their house in the year 2020, and when I was to leave, I missed my flight at Obajana Airstrip and I slept again at Dangote Cement,” he said.

The suspension for six months was sustained by the Senate President after a voice vote.

Part of the resolutions include that she will surrender all National Assembly properties, her security details will be withdrawn, and the Sergeant-at-Arms will seal her office immediately so that she will not have access to it.

News

I regret trusting my community elders,’ says Cubana Chief Priest after primary election defeat

Published

on

Cubana Chief Priest reads City Boys manifesto booklet during a meeting
Spread the love

Pascal Okechukwu, popularly known as Cubana Chief Priest, has reacted to his defeat in the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for the Orsu/Orlu/Oru East Federal Constituency seat in Imo State.

The celebrity businessman, who serves as the Imo State Coordinator of the City Boys Movement, had sought the APC ticket to contest for a seat in the House of Representatives.

Reacting after the outcome of the primary election in a viral video, Cubana Chief Priest said he had no regrets contesting for the position. Still, he expressed disappointment over what he described as misplaced trust in community elders.

“I’m a hustler, and I didn’t regret trying to contest for a position. My only regret was trusting the elders in the community. I know how much I gave them, but only 14 people voted for me in the primary,” he said.

Cubana Chief Priest had announced his political ambition earlier this year, advocating for what he described as cleaner and issue-based political participation driven by young Nigerians.

Following his defeat, reactions trailed the outcome on social media, with some users mocking the businessman and suggesting he may have underestimated the dynamics of Nigerian politics.

Maduka College Advert

However, Ossai Ovie Success defended him against online criticism.

“Why are people mocking Cubana Chief Priest? Not nice… it’s ok to try and try again,” he wrote on Facebook.

“He lost an election and so what? I am disappointed,” he added.

Continue Reading

News

Peter Obi mourns 17 police officers killed in Yobe deadly terror ambush

Published

on

Peter Obi condemns deportation of Osun indigenes by Lagos gov't
Peter Obi
Spread the love

Former Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has expressed deep sorrow over the killing of security personnel during a recent terrorist attack on a military school in Yobe State, describing the deaths as a painful national tragedy.

In a statement issued on Saturday, Obi extended condolences to the leadership of the Nigerian Armed Forces and the Police following the reported death of 17 police officers and an unspecified number of soldiers during the attack.

“I extend my sincerest condolences to the High Command and Leadership of the Nigerian Military and the Police over the tragic loss of our courageous officers,” Obi said.

“It is with deep sadness that I acknowledge the heartbreaking death of 17 brave police officers, alongside an unspecified number of soldiers, who made the ultimate sacrifice during the recent terrorist attack on a military school in Yobe State.”

The former Anambra State governor said the nation must stand in solidarity with the military, police authorities, and the families of the slain officers.

“At this moment of profound sorrow, the entire nation stands in solidarity with the leadership of the Armed Forces, the Police, the affected commands, and the wider security community,” he stated.

Maduka College Advert

Obi stressed that the continuous loss of security personnel and innocent civilians should not be treated as routine, warning that insecurity must be confronted with urgency and sincerity.

“Every security personnel killed is a tragedy to our nation. Every fallen officer represents a family thrown into grief, children left without parents, and communities robbed of those sworn to protect them,” he said.

He called on the Federal Government to prioritise the welfare of families of fallen officers through adequate compensation and long-term support.

“The Federal Government must ensure adequate compensation, support, and long-term welfare for the families of all those who paid the supreme price in service to our nation,” Obi added.

The Labour Party chieftain further urged authorities to adopt decisive and strategic measures to tackle insecurity across the country.

“A nation cannot continue to normalise the killing of its security personnel and innocent citizens without urgent, decisive, and strategic action. We must confront insecurity with sincerity, professionalism, and the political will necessary to protect lives and restore public confidence,” he stated.

Obi also sympathised with the bereaved families, assuring them that the sacrifices of the slain officers would not be forgotten.

“To the families of the fallen heroes, I offer my deepest and most heartfelt sympathies. We mourn with you, and we honour the courage and sacrifice of your loved ones. May their souls rest in eternal peace,” he said.

Continue Reading

News

Enugu 2027: Civil society group kicks against Nnaji clearance

Published

on

PDP rejects Edo election results in three LGAs
Spread the love

A Civil society organization, The Defence for Democracy, has criticized the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) for clearing former minister of Science and Technology, Uche Geoffrey Nnaji, to contest the primaries for the forthcoming governorship elections in Enugu State despite being under investigation over alleged forged credentials.

Nnaji resigned from President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s cabinet over allegations of forgery and is currently being investigated by relevant authorities.

In a statement issued by the National President of the organisation Dr. Emeka Nwachukwu, and made available to journalists, the organisation questioned the integrity of the entire screening and accused the party of working in favour of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

The organisation said the APC will have sufficient grounds to fast-track accelerated hearing of the forgery case and eventually upturn any victory in the name of the former minister should he win.

The group stressed that “leadership must be built on trust, integrity, and credibility. The people of Enugu State deserve leaders whose records can withstand public scrutiny without fear or controversy.”

The organisation emphasized that while the allegations are not yet proven before a competent court of law, the PDP has a moral responsibility to raise the red flag on the former minister, “Because we are all in this country, and we know that in an event that this former minister wins, there will be an accelerated hearing that will hand over that victory to the APC.

Maduka College Advert

“We believe firmly that Enugu deserves honest leadership, grassroots connection, and a leader who understands the pains of the people, and there are many such people.

“From our findings there are people who represent a great future, and as an organization, we stand for good governance, and when our findings throw up people of impeccable character, we naturally step in to ensure that they excel.

“We therefore find it strange that people can move from controversy to ambition without addressing the questions hanging over their names.”

The organisation called on the aspirant to immediately clear his name before throwing himself into the race, stressing that the allegations and public reports surrounding his academic credentials are too weighty to be ignored.

The organisation called on the National Secretariat of the PDP to immediately intervene and save the party the embarrassment, stressing that “We are watching events in Enugu and other parts of the country, and we would have issued this statement to congratulate the Enugu state chapter of the party if it screened out the former minister, because there is a moral burden there which is far beyond what the courts might eventually pronounce.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert