
News
Gunmen kidnap Catholic priest, seminarian in Edo
Gunmen have kidnapped a Catholic priest, Rev. Father Philip Ekeli, and a seminarian, Peter Andrew, from St. Peter Catholic Church in Iviukwa Community, Etsako East Local Government Area of Edo State.
Police sources confirmed the incident on Tuesday to security expert, Zagazola Makama, saying the attack happened on Sunday night around 11:30 pm.
“The police got a distress call from the Chairman of the Police Community Relations Committee (PCRC), Mr. Inaede Gabriel, that the church was under attack,” the source said.
“Officers, including the Rapid Response Squad (RRS), rushed to the scene and confirmed that the priest and seminarian had been taken into the bush to an unknown location.”
During the attack, local vigilantes clashed with the gunmen, killing one of the attackers. His body was taken to the General Hospital Mortuary in Aghenebode.

“Items recovered from the scene include a button phone with two Airtel SIM cards, a power bank, a jacket, a bag containing biscuits and sachets of Nescafé tea, two pairs of rubber shoes, and ₦168,850 in cash,” the source added.
A joint search-and-rescue team made up of soldiers from the Nigerian Army’s 195 Battalion, police officers, vigilantes, and local hunters is currently searching for the victims and the kidnappers.
News
Aiyedatiwa appoints 1,004 aides, picks commissioner, three advisers
Ondo State Governor, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, has approved a fresh round of appointments involving a commissioner, three Special Advisers and 1,000 other aides.
The appointments comprise 90 Senior Special Assistants and 910 Special Assistants, with the governor saying the move is intended to reinforce his administration and improve its reach across the state.
Erelu Taibat Yemi Oloruntoba, from Akoko North-West Local Government Area, has been nominated as Commissioner for Special Duties. Her nomination has been transmitted to the state House of Assembly for consideration and confirmation.
The governor also appointed Hon. Abimbola Fajolu as Special Adviser on Environment, Chief Ade Adeniyi as Special Adviser on Rural and Community Development, and Mr Muyiwa Ogunyemi as Special Adviser on Transport.
Among those named as Senior Special Assistants are Erelu Toyin Ogungbure, Women Mobilisation (South); Bidemi Obayangbon, Forestry; Gboluge Olufunmi Alex, Community Engagement (South); Hon. Akin Adeniyi, Community Engagement (Central); and Obayan Theophilus Ayodeji, Community Engagement (North).

Others include Kelvin Solomon, Students Affairs; Adeolu Iwakun, Volunteer Services; Samson Job Bazuaye, Oil and Gas; Fade Ojamomi, Youth Empowerment and Job Creation; Sam Adepoju, Public Engagement; and Alhaji Samad Orijeminiyi, Scholarship.
Also appointed are Victor Omodara, Grassroots Mobilisation; Abayomi Adefolalu, Photography; and Alhaji Abdukadiri Adenoyi, Prince Nzuoma Egbulefu and Alhaji Garba Goni, all for Non-Indigenes.
News
40 feared dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto
About 40 people are suspected to have lost their lives after a boat carrying farmers to their rice farms capsized in Gorau town, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
The incident occurred while the victims were crossing a stream to access their farms.
An eyewitness said more than 70 people were on the boat when it capsized shortly after taking off.
The village head was among those on board but he was reportedly rescued.
“So far, we have recovered about 40 bodies, while six people, including the village head, were rescued,” a local journalist who was at the scene, Sharhabilu Yahuza Kiliya, told our reporter.

According to him, the victims comprised farm owners and labourers who had been engaged to harvest rice.
“The canoe capsized shortly after take-off. Rescue operations are still ongoing, with local divers searching for those still missing and recovering bodies,” he said. (Daily Trust)
News
Alleged Drug Trafficking: Tinubu seeks 10-day delay in release of records
Ahmed Tinubu has joined the US Department of Justice in seeking a 10-day extension to respond to a motion seeking the release of records relating to allegations of drug trafficking.
Tinubu’s legal team filed a notice of joinder before the US District Court for the District of Columbia, asking to be placed on the same schedule as the defendants in the case.
The filing was published online by Von Batten-Montague-York, L.C., a US-based policy advisory and lobbying firm retained by former Vice President Atiku Abubakar.
In the notice, Tinubu’s lawyers said they were joining the defendants’ request for a 10-day extension to respond to the motion for summary judgment.
“Intervenor joins Defendants’ motion for a 10-day extension of time to file response to the motion for summary judgment (DE 92), inasmuch as Intervenor requests that the responses remain on the same schedule,” the filing stated.

The notice was signed by Christopher W. Carmichael and Victor P. Henderson of Henderson Parks, LLC.
According to the filing, the plaintiff opposed the request, while the defendant did not.
However, US District Judge Beryl Howell subsequently denied the application for an extension, according to the lobbying firm.
In a post on X, Von Batten-Montague-York alleged that the requested delay could give Tinubu additional time to lobby US officials against the release of the records.
The firm claimed that the records could become a subject of discussions around US-Nigeria relations and Tinubu’s cooperation with Washington on security matters.
It also raised concerns about what it described as possible attempts by US government officials to influence the judicial or Freedom of Information Act process.
The case, Aaron Greenspan v. Executive Office for U.S. Attorneys, et al., Civil Action No. 23-1816 (BAH), has been pending for more than three years.
The records sought in the case concern US investigations and allegations relating to Tinubu and suspected drug-trafficking activities.
Previous reports have linked a $460,000 asset forfeiture involving Tinubu to a US federal investigation into a Chicago-based heroin-trafficking network in the late 1980s and early 1990s.
Court records and affidavits from US authorities have been cited in reports about the forfeiture proceedings.
In 1993, a US District Court ordered the forfeiture of $460,000 held in an account in Tinubu’s name to the US government.
The order stated that the funds represented proceeds of narcotics trafficking or were involved in transactions violating money-laundering laws.
Tinubu has consistently denied wrongdoing and rejected allegations that he was involved in drug trafficking.
His lawyers have maintained that the forfeiture proceeding was an in rem civil action against the money, rather than a criminal case against Tinubu.
They have also argued that he was never arrested, indicted, arraigned or convicted of a drug offence in the United States. (Nigerian Tribune)
-
News23 hours agoBREAKING: Gunmen attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo shortly after receiving Certificate of Return
-
International1 day agoCanada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence
-
Uncategorized1 day ago2027: Obi unfolds agenda as campaigns begin
-
News21 hours agoLagos shuts churches over noise pollution
-
News1 day agoWhy I won’t apologise to Okpebholo — Davido
-
News20 hours agoTwo shot as police attempt to arrest suspects in Anambra
-
News1 day agoEven if Tinubu appoints Seyi as INEC chairman, he’ll be defeated in 2027 — Dalung
-
News1 day agoAccess Bank asks court to recover N1.3bn stolen by Yahoo Boys




