Connect with us

News

Troops close in on bandit leader Turji, kill commanders, 24 militants

Published

on

Bello Turji
Spread the love

It appears that troops are steadily closing in on notorious terrorist kingpin Bello Turji, following a series of recent bombardments on his hideouts by the Nigerian military.

In the last few weeks, the military has intensified operations targeted at Turji’s known hideouts, which has been largely successful.

Turji is a notorious terrorist leader operating in North-western Nigeria, particularly Zamfara, Sokoto and Niger states.

He had vowed to unleash terror on residents of Zamafara communities in 2025 over the arrest of his associate Bako Wurgi.

On Wednesday, the Defence Headquarters announced that the second-in-command to terrorist kingpin, Bello Turji, Aminu Kanawa, has been killed by troops of Operation Fansan Yamma.

Maduka College Advert

The DHQ also stated that troops inflicted serious injuries on some of Turji’s close allies, including his younger brother.

This development comes after the DHQ revealed on Monday that troops killed Turji’s fighters and son during clearance operations on his hideout.

The military also taunted the terrorist leader for abandoning his son and fighters during the gun duel.

The DHQ had previously vowed to capture or kill Turji in 2025, following his repeated mockery of the military and challenge to engage them in combat after being declared wanted and the arrest of his associate, Bako Wurgi, in December 2024.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the DHQ reaffirmed its commitment to capturing Turji despite the recent surrender of two terrorist leaders in the North-West region.

Giving an update on the operation in the North West on Wednesday, the outgoing Director of Defence Media Operations, Maj Gen Edward Buba, also stated that over seven key commanders of Turji, along with more than 24 of Turji’s fighters fleeing his hideout, were killed when troops stormed his hideout.

Buba said, “Sequel to ongoing military onslaught on terrorist in the NW of the country, between the 20-21 Jan 2025, troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA neutralised the second-in-command of notorious terrorist leader Bello Turji’s namely, Aminu Kanawa. Troops also inflicted terminal injuries on some of Bello Turji’s close allies namely: Dosso (Bello Turji’s younger brother) and Danbokolo (one of Turji’s closest allies).

“Additionally, troops neutralised several of Bello Turji’s key commanders namely: Abu Dan Shehu, Jabbi Dogo, Dan Kane, Basiru Yellow, Kabiru Gebe, Bello Buba and Dan Inna Kahon-Saniya-Yafi-Bahaushe, among others. Furthermore, troops neutralised over 24 fleeing terrorist from Bello Turji’s Camp around Gebe and Isa LGA of Sokoto State, as well as around Gidan Rijiya in Shinkafi LGA of Zamfara State.”

Buba also said troops killed another notable terrorist during the onslaught on Turji’s hideout.

He said, “Troops also neutralised another notable terrorist during the onslaught on Bello Turji’s enclave around Fakai high ground. He is identified as Suleiman, and a loyalist of late notorious terrorist leader, Halilu Sububu.

“The late Suleiman was leading a reinforcement team to rescue Bello Turji’s Camp which was in disarray, when he was eliminated during the fire fight.

“The death of Bello Turji’s second in command, close allies, commanders and combatants is a significant blow to the terrorist network in the NW of the country, as well as their military and fighting capabilities. These groups of terrorists were notorious for numerous kidnappings and terrorist attacks across the NW, particularly in Zurmi, Shinkafi, Isa, and Sabon Birni Local Government Areas in Zamfara and Sokoto States.

“Overall, troops are not relenting until these terrorists are completely destroyed. Troops operations are aimed at creating an atmosphere of safety and security for all citizens.”

The onslaught on Turji and his group has brought delights to some residents of

Sokoto State has commended the Nigerian security agents, especially the Military for their efforts in dealing with bandits Kingpin and his gangs.

Speaking on the development, Abubakar Isa, a resident of Isa, in Isa local government area of the state, said the news of the killing is a welcome development to the people of the area.

He called on the military not to rest on their oars until their leader, Bello Turji, is captured dead or alive.

Also speaking, Muhammad Abdullah, from Goronyo, said news of the killing came to the people of Goronyo as good news.

He said the people of the area especially those in the rural areas have been suffering from the antics of the bandits for a long time which he said has collapsed the economic activities of the local government.

Mallam Nuhu Bello, a commercial motorcycle operator in the state, said the killing is a welcome development for the people of Sokoto and Zamfara States.

Bello, who hailed from Shinkafi local government area of Zamfara, said the atrocities of Turji and his gang was the reason why he left his community where he used to farm for motorcycle riding in Sokoto.

“I ran from my community because of those bandits. I used to be a farmer but had to run for safety when we couldn’t access our farms unless we pay them tax.

“The killing will definitely make the people in Shinkafi feel good and happy, “ he added.

Mallam Altini Bashar, a security commentator while speaking with one of our correspondents, commended the military efforts in the victory being recorded.

He said the military actions resulted in killing of many members of the bandits group.

He however said the real identity of those killed can only be ascertained when the operation comes to an end.

“Yes, I heard of the exercise and the killings, but I cannot confirm those who have been killed in the exercise.

“ I believe after the end of the exercise, we will know the real identity of those who lost their lives in the fight”

Meanwhile, the Sokoto State Government warned residents to remain vigilant as military operations against bandit terrorists intensify in the eastern part of the state.

In a statement signed by the Special Adviser to Governor Ahmed Aliyu on Security Matters, retired Colonel Ahmed Usman, the government highlighted the success of the ongoing joint military operations, which he said had left the bandits disorganised.

The statement added that multiple terrorist enclaves had been destroyed, dozens of bandits neutralized and hundreds of kidnapped victims rescued.

The statement urged residents to be cautious and report any suspicious activities in their communities.

“As security forces increase pressure on the bandits, some of them are fleeing to other areas with injured members. We are raising awareness to ensure our people remain alert, as these bandits may attempt to hide in villages or seek medical treatment at local clinics under disguise,” the statement read.

The government reiterated its commitment to working with security agencies to restore peace and stability in the state, adding that residents were encouraged to play an active role by reporting unusual activities to the authorities to support the ongoing efforts to secure the region.

“This proactive measure aligns with the governor’s nine-point agenda to create a safer and more economically viable Sokoto State.

“The government remains determined to work collaboratively with security operatives to protect citizens and maintain peace in the state,” the statement stated.

News

Enugu ADC chairman allegedly murdered in his village

Published

on

Spread the love

Tension and grief have enveloped the political community in Enugu State following the suspected murder of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) Chairman in Udenu Local Government Area, Chisimdiri Emmanuel Ngwu.

Ngwu, said to be one of the longest-serving members of the ADC in the state, was reportedly found dead in the early hours of Wednesday, August 19, 2026, in circumstances suspected to be suspicious.

A family source, who spoke to our correspondent, said Ngwu left the house shortly after waking up on Wednesday morning but never returned alive.

“He woke up early in the morning on Wednesday and walked out and that was the last we heard of him,” the source said.

According to the source, the family became worried after discovering that Ngwu was missing, before his lifeless body was later found outside the compound.

Maduka College Advert

“When we woke up, we didn’t see him only to discover his lifeless body in front of our compound. We saw scratches on his neck which was twisted backwards,” the source added.

The circumstances surrounding his death have continued to generate concern among family members, friends and political associates.

Meanwhile, two persons have reportedly been arrested in connection with the incident.

However, their identities and the circumstances surrounding their arrest were not immediately disclosed as of press time.

The development has reportedly sent shock waves through the ADC in Udenu and the wider political community in the state, with calls for a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding Ngwu’s death.

Continue Reading

News

2027: Tinubu’ll relocate Nigeria’s capital to Lagos if he wins – Primate Ayodele

Published

on

Primate Elijah Ayodele
Spread the love

Leader of INRI Evangelical Spiritual Church, Primate Elijah Ayodele has claimed that President Bola Tinubu will relocate the capital of Nigeria to Lagos if he is declared the winner of the 2027 general elections.

Primate Ayodele made this statement in a video posted on X.

President Tinubu is seeking re-election under the platform of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC.

Speaking about Tinubu’s re-election, the cleric said, “Lagos architecture will change. You may not see this one very seriously, but if Tinubu wins the second time, the capital of Nigeria will be relocated to Lagos.

“When this happens, the capital can be in Epe or Lekki or anywhere at all in Lagos.”

Maduka College Advert
Continue Reading

News

Police arrest four over alleged murder of 56-year-old man in Anambra

Published

on

Chinese businessmen, Nigerian partners disappear between Onitsha and Aba
Anambra Police Public Relations Officer, SP Tochukwu Ikenga
Spread the love

The Anambra State Police Command has uncovered the circumstances surrounding the alleged murder of a 56-year-old man, Mr Kelechi Madu, in Awkuzu, Oyi Local Government Area, two days after he was reported missing.

The development was disclosed in a statement issued on Friday, August 21, 2026, by the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, who said the breakthrough followed a coordinated search and investigation by police operatives, local vigilantes and members of the deceased’s family.

Madu was reported missing by his wife on August 18, after he reportedly left home on the evening of August 17 and failed to return.

According to the Command, the search for the missing man took a grim turn later that day when his wife returned to the police station to report that he had been found dead in a nearby bush at Umuobi, Awkuzu.

Police operatives immediately mobilised to the scene, where they found Madu’s lifeless body with a deep axe wound to his head. His remains were subsequently evacuated and deposited at a hospital mortuary for preservation.

Maduka College Advert

Following the discovery, detectives intensified their investigation and arrested the deceased’s 32-year-old friend, Mr Ifeanyi Nwankwo, who allegedly confessed to being involved in the planning of the killing.

Preliminary findings by the Command indicated that Nwankwo allegedly obtained money from Madu through fraudulent means, claiming he would assist him in acquiring a piece of land.

Police alleged that the suspect subsequently engaged two other persons to eliminate Madu in an attempt to conceal the alleged fraudulent transaction and prevent the victim from recovering the money.

The Command said two other suspects linked to the alleged plot were also arrested, bringing the number of persons apprehended in connection with the case to four.

The Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Command, CP Nnanna Oji Ama, psc, mnips, has directed investigators to intensify the probe and identify every person involved in the alleged conspiracy and murder.

The CP vowed that all persons found culpable would be brought to justice.

The Command, through Ikenga, assured residents that it would continue to strengthen intelligence-led policing and community partnerships to prevent violent crimes, uncover criminal networks and ensure that perpetrators face the full weight of the law.

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert