Connect with us

News

Actress Ovuleria of NTA drama series, New Masquerade, buried in Abia

Published

on

Spread the love

The remains of Nigeria Actress, Mrs Elizabeth Evoeme, better known as Ovulera, was on Friday laid to rest in her home town, Umuaba Okpu-umuobo in Osisioma Ngwa Local Government in Abia.

Evoeme was born on Dec. 1, 1942 and began her career in a drama group called,”Ndichie” and other drama series between 1982 to 1993.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Evoeme was married to late Mr Israel Evoeme.

She died on May 7, 2024 at the age of 82.

Her popular acting name “Ovuleria” came from the Nigeria Television Authority drama known as, “The New Masquerade,” and she was originally named Elizabeth, which was later shortened to Lizzy.

Maduka College Advert

In his tribute, Mr Mathew Ekwuribe, the Commissioner for Arts, Culture and Creative Economy, described Evoeme as an icon of creativity.

Ekwuribe said,” I will say that an icon has departed and we all know that death is inevitable and a debt that every living soul own and we must pay.

“We are saddened to hear about the death of Chief Lizzy and we all know the role she played in the entertainment industry, the family and Abia in general.

“I want to use this opportunity to tell our veterans that are here and not here that, we will love to celebrate them not only when they die but now they are alive.

“The administration of Gov. Alex Otti will like to celebrate, recognise and do whatever we can to give the veterans a sense of belonging in whichever way we can in Abia,” Ekwuribe said.

Chief Chika Okpala, known as, “Chief Zebrudaya Okoroigwe alias 4.30”, described late colleague as a motivator, ebullient initiator, a brilliant actress and peacemaker.

“The entire members of NTA NEW MASQUERADE Troup are grieved at the sudden departure of our respected colleague and she will be missed by Nigerians.

“Ovy my darling as I fondly called her, and she will reply, Zebrudaya, my loving husband, in the sitcom, may your gentle soul rest in the bosom of the Lord,” he said.

In his sermon, Evangelist Christian Samuel of Greater Evangelism World Crusade, Port Harcourt, urged People to make hay when the sun shines because life is short.

Samuel said that human body was only a tent in which the soul lived and would soon be dismantled.

Samuel said, “They (people) are today laying the tent which houses their sister, late Lizzy and not Lizzy herself because, Lizzy has gone to answer her maker, leaving the tent behind.”(NAN)

News

‘Fake agency’ boss, Nwabueze, fights back with appointment letter

Published

on

ICPC chairman, Dr Musa Aliyu
Spread the love

The National Coordinator and Executive Director of the National Brands Development and Made in Nigeria Special Project Office, George Nwabueze, has denied the allegation of running a “fake agency” in the country.

Nwabueze, who spoke  on Saturday, noted that he oversaw an office which was under the supervision of the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.

He noted that the office had been in existence for 16 years.

The Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission had on Friday said the President had ordered Nwabueze’s arrest for leading and promoting the outfit, which it tagged as a fake federal agency.

The ICPC said the accused was running it with the collaboration of senior public servants in the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.

Maduka College Advert

But responding to our correspondent, the embattled executive director said, “Made in Nigeria Special Project Office is a project office in the OSGF. We don’t know where fake agency comes from. A programme that has been in the SGF’s office since 16 July 2010 was just discovered yesterday (Friday). After 16 years; Nigeria is a funny country.”

Nwabueze spoke while responding to our correspondent’s enquiries on LinkedIn, where he had earlier posted his appointment letter to rebuff ICPC’s claim of illegality.

The letter, dated October 3, 2025, was purportedly issued by the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.

It was referenced OSGF/MIN/59310/11/205 and signed by the Permanent Secretary, Political and Economic Affairs Office, Nadungu Gagare.

The letter, addressed to “Hon. George Buchi Nwabueze, National Coordinator, Made in Nigeria Project Office, OSGF, Three Arms Zone, Abuja,” conveyed the approval of his appointment as National Coordinator/Executive Director of the Made in Nigeria Project Office under the OSGF.

According to the document, the appointment was for a five-year tenure beginning from July 2025 and was renewable.

“I am directed to formally convey the approval of your appointment as National Coordinator/Executive Director of the Made in Nigeria Project Office under the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation,” the letter stated.

It added that the appointment followed “a careful evaluation of your commitment, contribution, and capacity in delivering on the mandate of the Special Project Office.”

The document listed Nwabueze’s responsibilities to include the supervision and development of programmes, projects and policies; supervision of regional and state coordinators across the 36 states; and organisation of exhibitions, trade expos, economic summits and other promotional initiatives aimed at promoting indigenous products and services.

It further stated that the project was to operate temporarily from Room B53, Ground Floor, within the OSGF complex.

“Please note that this appointment is at the pleasure of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, and in line with the objectives of the Made in Nigeria initiative under the Renewed Hope Agenda,” the letter said.

Efforts  to engage Nwabueze further on the matter proved abortive as he declined response.

Special status request

Also, another document shared on Saturday on Linkedin by Nwabueze showed that his office sought to be granted the status of a Special Project.

The document, dated April 17, 2025, was signed by the Permanent Secretary, Political and Economic Affairs Office, Gagare, and addressed to the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.

It was referenced PS-PEAO/2025/008/4.

The document, titled, ‘A proposal for the Made-in-Nigeria Project to be granted Special Project status’, stated that the initiative had been operating for about five years and had promoted Nigerian-made products and services locally and internationally.

It claimed that the project had organised economic forums and trade exhibitions in several parts of the world and contributed positively to the Nigerian economy, particularly in the area of foreign direct investment.

The document listed increased employment opportunities, economic growth and poverty reduction among the expected benefits of granting the project special status.

According to the proposal, the initiative would also contribute to Gross Domestic Product growth by supporting local industries and encouraging domestic production.

It further stated that the project would reduce importation by encouraging Nigerians to consume locally made products, thereby reducing dependence on imported goods, conserving foreign exchange and improving the country’s trade balance.

The document added that the initiative aligned with the Federal Government’s efforts to diversify the economy, reduce dependence on crude oil and promote the non-oil sector.

The Permanent Secretary subsequently invited the SGF to note that granting the project special status would enhance its credibility and performance and enable it to meet its mandate and responsibilities.

However, the proposal made clear that the activities of the project were to be reviewed and operational modalities developed.

A fake agency?

The ICPC chairman, Dr Musa Aliyu, SAN, had identified the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office as one of the outfits uncovered during the commission’s investigation into the alleged fictitious Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council.

Aliyu, while briefing State House correspondents in Abuja, said investigators discovered the office while probing the PFIPC and what he described as procedural weaknesses within the public service.

According to him, the office had been allocated space within the OSGF premises without presidential authorisation.

He identified the promoter of the outfit as Prince George Buchi Nwabueze, alleging that he operated under different variations of his name and had the backing of some senior public servants in the OSGF.

The ICPC had described the outfit as part of the structures uncovered during its investigation into the alleged PFIPC.

However, documents released by Nwabueze appear intended to challenge the allegation that the project office had no official backing.

One of the reports shared on the LinkedIn page of the organisation documented a stakeholders’ engagement in Nasarawa State involving Governor Abdullahi Sule.

In the report, the governor was heard saying the state had domesticated the Federal Government’s Made-in-Nigeria initiative and captured it in its 2026 budget.

“For us in Nasarawa State, we have since domesticated this initiative of the Federal Government in our solemn commitment to promote local contents and have value for resources abound in our dear state,” Sule was quoted as saying.

“I’m happy to inform you that we did not only domesticate this project, but we also accord special attention to its operationalisation by including it in our 2026 budget,” he added.

The report also quoted the National Coordinator of the Made in Nigeria Project as saying the initiative was domiciled in the OSGF and was responsible for promoting the national brand.

Nwabueze was further heard saying the decision had been taken to locate a National Brand Processing and Packaging Centre in Nasarawa State.

The organisation’s website also identified “Nwabueze George” as “Executive Director, National Coordinator,” linking the position to the person named in the ICPC investigation.

Checks on the organisation’s website showed a structure featuring national, zonal and state coordinators.

At the national level, the organisation listed Dr Bassey B. Unaowo as Special Assistant to the Permanent Secretary on Political and Economic Affairs in the OSGF, while Dr Hajara Njidda Amoni was listed as Director, National Administration.

The organisation also listed zonal directors and coordinators across several states.

It maintained social media accounts on platforms including Instagram, Facebook, X and LinkedIn under the handle “@pmainpro.”

Office shut for months, says OSGF official

However, a staff member of the OSGF told Sunday PUNCH that the office had been shut for months.

“It was not operating as an agency but I know was under investigation… The office was shut months ago,” the source said.

The development leaves questions over the status of the project office, particularly the conflicting claims over its authorisation and relationship with the OSGF.

While the ICPC maintains that the office was illegally allocated space within the OSGF without presidential authorisation, documents released by Nwabueze show an appointment letter purportedly issued by the OSGF formally appointing him to head the project office.

The OSGF spokesman, Christopher Ugwuegbulam, when contacted, asked our correspondent to write a letter to his office before a response could be obtained.

Efforts to reach the ICPC spokesman, John Odey, proved abortive as of the time of filing the report, as calls to his number indicated that it was not reachable.

Sunday PUNCH gathered that the police had yet to be officially briefed about the suspect.

Credible sources in the police force told our correspondent that a manhunt would only be launched after a formal briefing on the matter. (Sunday PUNCH)

Continue Reading

News

‘How fake federal agency tricked us’ – Anambra govt

Published

on

Anambra Governor, Chukwuma Soludo
Spread the love

Details have emerged on how the Anambra State government got involved with the fake federal agency domiciled in the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF.

The agency was said to be planning to organize a Made in Nigeria fair in the state after the Secretary to the State Government, SSG, Mrs Chiamaka Nnake, was made the focal person for Anambra State.

However, following the discovery by the ICPC that the agency is fake, the Anambra SSG lamented that the agency tricked the state government into hosting its maiden Made in Nigeria fair in Anambra in December.

In a statement titled, ‘CLARIFICATION ON THE “MADE-IN-NIGERIA AGENCY AND MY ROLE AS STATE FOCAL PERSON, Nnake said: “I wish to clarify the circumstances surrounding the trending news concerning the purported “Made-in-Nigeria Agency,” in which my photograph has been displayed and I have been identified as one of the state coordinators.

“In January 2026, the Governor received a letter from the Made-in-Nigeria Office, said to be under the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, requesting the nomination of a State Focal Person. In response, the Governor, in February 2026, nominated me as the State Focal Person for Anambra State.

Maduka College Advert

“Following the nominations, Focal Persons from the 36 states have been in a WhatsApp group engaging on issues relating to the activities of the office.

“More recently, the same office wrote to the State requesting that Anambra host the South East Made-in-Nigeria Fair. The request was approved, and an inaugural meeting was held about two weeks ago, with the National Coordinator in attendance.

“Since then, the State Committee has been working on preparations for the Fair, which is scheduled to take place from 2nd – 5th December 2026.

“Beyond these official interactions and engagements, I have no knowledge of, involvement in, or connection with any other activities, claims, or developments attributed to the said office.

“I therefore wish to make it clear that anything beyond the above-mentioned official interactions is entirely outside my knowledge and involvement”.

Continue Reading

News

Atiku breaks silence on FBI’s refusal to make Tinubu records public

Published

on

‘Who is in charge of Nigeria presently?’, Atiku queries Tinubu, Shettima’s absence
Atiku and Tinubu
Spread the love

Presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Atiku Abubakar, has reacted to the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation’s refusal to publicly release certain records relating to President Bola Tinubu, arguing that citing “danger to lives” cannot justify withholding potentially disclosable information from public scrutiny.

The FBI had filed a motion seeking permission to submit ex parte and in camera declarations explaining why it withheld some investigative records concerning allegations of drug trafficking involving Tinubu.

In an application dated August 20, the agency told the US District Court for the District of Columbia that it could not publicly disclose all the reasons for withholding certain records, hence its request to make the declarations privately before the court.

Reacting in a statement issued on Saturday in Abuja by his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu, Atiku questioned the FBI’s justification for secrecy, arguing that Nigerians were already bearing the consequences of the government’s economic policies.

“The FBI says disclosure could endanger lives. Which lives? Nigerians are already dying,” he said.

Maduka College Advert

Atiku linked the hardship to the removal of fuel subsidy, arguing that the policy had triggered increases in transportation costs, food prices and production expenses while putting pressure on jobs and household incomes.

“Fuel affects transportation. Transportation affects food prices. Energy affects production. Production affects jobs. All of them determine whether an ordinary Nigerian family can survive until the end of the month,” he said.

The former Vice President also reiterated his pledge to reverse the fuel subsidy removal if elected, describing his proposed approach as one that would be accountable and protected against abuse.

On the FBI records, Atiku said he was not demanding the release of sensitive information that could compromise investigations, including the identities of undercover agents, confidential sources or investigative techniques.

“Protect your agents. Protect your sources. Protect legitimate investigative methods. Redact whatever American law genuinely requires you to redact. But do not stretch those protections until they become a bulletproof vest for Tinubu,” he said.

Atiku described his position as a democratic appeal rather than an attempt to interfere in Nigeria’s internal affairs, insisting that Nigerians had a right to know the background and character of the person leading the country. (Saturday Tribune)

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert