Connect with us

News

#EDO ELECTION: Police swoop on political thugs, arrest suspects, recover firearms

Published

on

•Arrested Edo political thugs, recovered firearms
Spread the love

The Nigeria Police Force has made a significant breakthrough in its efforts to curb electoral violence in Edo State with the arrest of two political thugs.

A statement by the Force Public Relations Officer, ACP Olumiyiwa Adejobi in Abuja on Saturday, said those arrested were Edwin Obanor, 43-year-old and Audu Tajudeen, a 41-year-old PDP member from Ugbogbo quarters, Igara Akoko, Edo.

Adejobi said they were arrested acting on a tip-off that some individuals had been armed to cause mayhem and disability during the election on Saturday, the police operatives swooped into action and apprehended Obanor, a leader of an armed group, at Oredo Ward 4 at about 9pm and Audu Tajudeen at Igara Akoko, Edo, on the eve of the election.

Upon searching the bags in their possession, three cut-to-size locally fabricated pistols were discovered on Obanor, while one locally made gun was recovered from Tajudeen.

The statement said: “These arrests are a testament to the Nigeria Police Force’s commitment to maintaining law and order and ensuring a peaceful electoral process. The police and other supporting security agencies will not tolerate any form of violence or disorderliness during the election in Edo State.”

Maduka College Advert

The suspects are currently in custody and will face the full weight of the law, the police added.

The police reassured the public of its dedication to protecting lives and property and, therefore, urged citizens to report any suspicious activities to the nearest police station or via our published help lines.

News

2027: Peter Obi most popular opposition candidate — NDC

Published

on

Peter Obi donates ₦10 million to Nursing College
Peter Obi
Spread the love

The Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) has said its presidential candidate, Peter Obi, remains the most popular opposition candidate capable of leading a proposed coalition to challenge President Bola Ahmed Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election.

The National Publicity Secretary of the NDC, Osa Director, stated this while reacting to efforts by the G100, a group seeking to facilitate the emergence of a single presidential candidate among opposition parties ahead of the election.

Director said the NDC had been approached by the group and was not opposed to its proposal, but insisted that the candidate chosen to lead the opposition coalition should be the “brightest, best and most popular” among the presidential contenders. According to him, the NDC believes Peter Obi meets those criteria.

“The G100 has approached the NDC and we are not opposed to their suggestions. However, we are of the opinion that the brightest, best and most popular candidate in the opposition should lead the coalition, and that is our presidential candidate, Peter Obi,” he said.

He added that the NDC expected the G100 to act in the broader interest of Nigerians as discussions continue over the possibility of presenting a single opposition candidate against the incumbent.

Maduka College Advert

“We want to believe that the G100 is working in the interests of Nigerians. At the end of the day, it is the electorate that would determine who leads them,” Director said.

The development comes amid growing efforts by opposition groups and political parties to explore a possible alliance ahead of the 2027 presidential election.

The proposed arrangement is aimed at bringing opposition presidential candidates together to consider the possibility of presenting a single candidate against President Tinubu, who is seeking another term in office.

While discussions around opposition unity continue, the NDC’s position is that popularity and acceptability among voters should be key considerations in determining who ultimately leads any proposed coalition.

Continue Reading

News

Insecurity: Nigeria must not become a killing field — Obi tells FGi

Published

on

Peter Obi
Spread the love

Former Anambra State Governor and 2023 presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has called for urgent government action to halt the wave of killings, abductions and destruction of communities in parts of Nigeria.

Obi, in a statement posted on X on Sunday, said recent deadly attacks in Benue, Plateau and Niger states had highlighted the worsening security situation in the country.

He described the three states, which are located in Nigeria’s North-Central region, as the latest areas to suffer attacks that have claimed scores of lives and displaced residents.

Obi cited the attack in Jwak Maitumbi, Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State, where he said at least 23 people were officially reported killed, while residents put the death toll at more than 30.

He added that over 45 houses were reportedly destroyed in the attack.

Maduka College Advert

The former governor also referred to recent attacks in Borgu, Niger State, where reports indicated that more than 40 people were killed and over 100 others abducted, although he acknowledged that the figures remained contested.

Obi said the situation in Benue was equally troubling, with communities facing repeated attacks, killings, abductions and destruction of homes and livelihoods.

“What is happening in Benue, Plateau and Niger is similar to what is happening elsewhere in the country, with some attacks even going unreported,” he said.

According to him, the recurring attacks should no longer be viewed as separate incidents but as a broader national security crisis requiring a coordinated response.

“Nigeria is not officially at war, yet citizens are being attacked in their villages, abducted after prayers, driven from their homes and stripped of their farms,” Obi said.

He urged the federal, state and local governments to take immediate measures to protect vulnerable communities and prevent further attacks.

Obi called for improved intelligence gathering and rapid-response capabilities, as well as intensified efforts to rescue abducted Nigerians and apprehend those responsible for the violence.

“I urge governments at all levels to wake up to their responsibility and take urgent and decisive action to end this madness once and for all,” he said.

The former presidential candidate said the government should focus on preventing attacks rather than merely responding after lives had been lost.

“We cannot keep counting bodies after every attack. We must prevent these attacks before they happen,” he said.

Obi stressed that the protection of lives and property remained the fundamental responsibility of government.

“Protecting lives and property is the most basic duty of government. Nigerians deserve nothing less,” he said.

He concluded by warning against allowing the deteriorating security situation to become normalised, declaring: “Nigeria must not become a killing field.”

Continue Reading

News

NDLEA arrests 101-year-old woman for selling cannabis in Ogun

Published

on

Spread the love

….Lagos-based daughter who supplies the drug arrested

A 101-year-old woman, Esther Ogunmabo, has been arrested by officers of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) for allegedly selling cannabis in Ilisan, Ogun State.

The centenarian was arrested on Saturday, August 15, 2026, with 90 grammes of skunk, a form of cannabis, which was reportedly packaged in small quantities for sale.

NDLEA spokesman, Femi Babafemi, disclosed that the supect, Ogunmabo admitted that she sold the substance to people in the community.

Babafemi said the suspect told investigators that she became involved in the illicit trade after a fire destroyed her provisions store.

The agency spokesman added that the woman claimed one of her daughters, based in Lagos, was responsible for supplying her with the cannabis at regular intervals.

Maduka College Advert

“She said one of her daughters, who resides in Lagos, arranges the supply of the substance to her every four days, which she in turn sold in bits,” the NDLEA spokesman said.

The arrest was listed among the agency’s recent operations against drug trafficking and illicit drug activities across the country.

Following her arrest, NDLEA Chairman, Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa (retd.), directed that the elderly suspect be granted bail and referred for counselling because of her age.

The agency also disclosed that the daughter allegedly linked to the supply of the cannabis had been arrested.

The NDLEA said its latest operations also recorded other interceptions and arrests at different locations, including the country’s land and maritime borders.

The agency has continued to intensify its campaign against the cultivation, distribution and sale of illicit drugs across the country.

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert