Connect with us

International

More than 60 migrants feared drowned off Libya – UN

Published

on

More than 60 migrants feared drowned off Libya - UN
More than 2,250 people have died this year on the central Mediterranean migrant route, according to the International Organization for Migration. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images
More than 60 migrants are believed to have drowned in a shipwreck off the coast of Libya, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said.

Citing survivors, the UN agency said on Saturday the vessel left the city of Zuwara with around 86 people on board.

It said high waves swamped the boat and that 61 migrants, including children, were missing and presumed dead.

Libya is among the main departure points for migrants trying to cross the Mediterranean and enter Europe.

The IOM estimates that more than 2,200 people have drowned while attempting the crossing this year alone, making it one of the most dangerous migration routes in the world.

The agency said most of the victims of the latest incident were from Nigeria, Gambia, and other African countries, the AFP news agency reports.

It also said 25 survivors had been transferred to a Libyan detention centre and were being given medical support.

Writing on X, formerly Twitter, an IOM spokesperson called the death toll for this year a “dramatic number which unfortunately demonstrates that not enough is being done to save lives at sea”.

In June, at least 78 people died and another 100 were rescued after a fishing boat sank off southern Greece.

Advertisement

The Mediterranean crossings frequently see scores of migrants crowded onto boats too small to safely hold them.

Those making the trip are typically hoping to land in Italy before making their way to other countries in Europe, some escaping conflict or persecution, others in search of work.

More than 153,000 migrants have arrived in Italy this year from Tunisia and Libya, according to the UN’s refugee agency. (BBC)

Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  Bobrisky will be held, protected in male cell ward — Prison service

International

Israeli strikes on Rafah kill 13, as Gaza death toll surpasses 34,000

Published

on

Advertisements
Continue Reading

International

Nigerian dancer, Korra Obidi attacked with acid, stabbed in UK

Published

on

Nigerian dancer, Korra Obidi attacked with acid, stabbed in UK
• Anita Chukwumfumnaya Obidi aka Korra Obidi

Nigerian dancer, Anita Obidi, popularly known as Korra Obidi, has come under a knife and acid attack in the United Kingdom.

Celebrities Kimora Lee Simmons’s 21-year-old daughter Aoki breaks up with 65-year-old boyfriend.

According to the dancer, the attack occurred while she was in the middle of a live stream on Thursday, April 11, 2024.

The mother of two announced this on her social media.

In the trending video on her instagram page, she was seen washing her face with coca-cola.

“My face is burning, can I have some coke to wash it please,” Obidi screamed as she groaned in pain.

The livestream footage reportedly showed Korra Obidi in distress, frantically washing her face with a Coca-Cola beverage, likely to neutralize the burning sensation of an acid attack.

Two uniformed officers arrived at the scene, captured on video. One officer applied a liquid solution to her face, presumably to ease the pain. The other officer can be seen spraying her back, likely administering first aid.

Advertisement

In a caption accompanying the disturbing video, Obidi pleaded with the public for any information that could identify and apprehend her attacker.

Describing the assailant, Obidi stated it was a Black female of approximately five feet in height. She further revealed she had been subjected to hateful comments online in the past, but this physical assault serves as a stark wake-up call.

“Currently in an ambulance to the hospital, there was a knife, acid attack on me in the UK 🇬🇧 in the middle of a live stream.

“There’s been a lot of hate in the past but this physical assault is a wake up call.

SEE ALSO:  Armed men rob East-bound travellers, set bus ablaze in Ogun

“If you have any information as to the attacker, black female. 5 foot. please forward to Korramanagement@gmail.com,” she wrote.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

International

Man who dismembered wife’s body into 200 pieces sentenced to life in prison

Published

on

Nicholas Metson

A man, Nicholas Metson, 28, who dismembered his wife’s body into over 200 pieces and then enlisted a friend to help dispose of her remains in a river, has been sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 19 years.

Metson fatally stabbed Holly Bramley, 26, at least four times in March 2023 before dismembering her and storing her body parts for a week in the kitchen larder at their shared flat in Shuttleworth House, Stamp End, Lincoln.

According to foreign news platform Independent.co on Monday, Metson admitted to the murder and was sentenced to a minimum term of 19 years and 316 days at Lincoln Crown Court. His friend, Joshua Hancock, who aided in disposing of Bramley’s remains, received a three-year and three-month prison sentence, along with a 10-year sexual harm prevention order.

Sentencing Metson, His Honour Judge Simon Hirst of Shuttleworth House, Lincoln, said, “The cause of death cannot be established given how you treated Holly’s body after you killed her.”

Bramley’s remains were found by an individual who, initially mistook them for animal remains, before discovering human hand in the river on the evening of March 25th more than a week after Ms. Bramley was last seen entering her flat on March 17th.

During the court proceedings, it was revealed that some of Holly Bramley’s remains, including parts of her heart, were never recovered.

Initially, Nicholas Metson denied the charges of murder. However, he later changed his plea to guilty before the trial commenced.

Before Bramley’s remains were discovered and during her period of absence, Lincolnshire Police visited the flat she shared with Metson.

Advertisement

At that time, Metson informed the authorities that his wife had departed their residence on March 19th in the company of two individuals from a local mental health crisis team.

SEE ALSO:  Bobrisky will be held, protected in male cell ward — Prison service

Upon entering the flat, officers detected a “strong smell of bleach and ammonia” They also spotted a saw resting on a towel, bloodstained sheets within the bathroom, and a large bloodstain on the bedroom floor.

Following the revelation that Metson’s account regarding his wife’s disappearance was deceitful, law enforcement arrested Metson and charged him with murder and perverting the course of justice.

A thorough examination of Metson’s mobile phone revealed Google searches, including inquiries such as “How to get rid of a dead body”, “What benefits can I get if my wife dies” and “Does God forgive murder”.

Metson had also sent a message to Hancock, residing at Walnut Close in Waddington, during the early hours of March 25th, offering him £50 in exchange for Hancock’s assistance with an unspecified “job.”

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Trending