
International
Innocent man who spent 17 years behind bars for rape he didn’t commit quits UK to start a new live in Holland
…says Britain ‘doesn’t feel like home’ after his ordeal
The man who was recently freed after serving 17 years in prison for a rape he did not commit, is moving out of Britain permanently and moving to the Netherlands.
As he boarded a Eurostar train from London St Pancras to Amsterdam yesterday, Andrew Malkinson, 57, said he wants to renounce his UK citizenship for a Dutch passport.
He said that Saturday was ‘the first day of the rest of my life’ as although he was born in Britain it no longer feels like home after his traumatic ordeal.
Mr Malkinson, who spent much of his 20s backpacking and had been working in the Netherlands when he was returned to the UK in 2003 and falsely imprisoned, told The Mirror that he now ‘feels more Dutch than English’.
He said he is going to ask the Foreign Office to negotiate for a Dutch passport on ‘humanitarian grounds’


Innocent man, Mr Malkinson
Mr Malkinson won his 20-year-battle to clear his name after he was convicted of raping a woman after a trial in Greater Manchester in 2003, in what the former security guard slammed as a ‘set up’.
The following year he was jailed for a life with a minimum term of seven years but remained in prison for a further 10 because he maintained he was innocent as he continued to live out a ‘joyless existence’ behind bars.
His conviction was quashed by senior judges at the Court of Appeal on Wednesday after DNA evidence linking another man to the crime came to light.
Mr Malkinson said that had he had not been arrested, he would have been living in the Netherlands for 23 years and be eligible for a passport, the Mirror reported.
He said the criminal justice system took ‘everything’ from him but hopes that returning to Holland will help in his healing as he will be back with friends.
The two police officers who pinned the rape on Mr Malkinson were commended during his original trial, but the victim of the gross miscarriage of justice said it was a ‘smash in the face because I knew I’d been set up’.
He added that he wants the authorities to be held to account and he that he wants compensation.
Mr Malkinson is now living on benefits but could be in line for up to £1million in compensation for his wrongful conviction – but his lawyer has warned his client may be waiting ‘years’.
Mr Malkinson is now living on benefits but could be in line for up to £1million in compensation for his wrongful conviction
And he also faces the possibility that he would have to pay for the ‘torture’ he suffered for nearly 20 years, as a substantial sum of his compensation may be deducted to repay the prison – HMP Frankland – for food and accommodation costs.
His lawyer Emily Bolton, from the charity Appeal, who were key in securing his acquittal saw Mr Malkinson off at St Pancras.
He hugger her and thanked her for her hard work as he left for new horizons as she told him: ‘You’ve got this!’
Fellow passengers asked him for selfies once he was threw passport control.
Due to post-Brexit immigration rules, Mr Malkinson can only stay in the Netherlands for up to 90 days but he is also planning to visit his sisters and their children in Australia if his health allows. He suffers from type 1 diabetes and said he will be doing well if he reaches 70-years-old.
He also missed seeing his own son grow up due to his incarceration. (Daily Mail)
International
Canada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence
Canada has invited 1,000 candidates through its Express Entry system to apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class.
The invitation round was conducted on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, according to the latest ministerial instructions published by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
The department said candidates required a minimum Comprehensive Ranking System score of 523 to receive an invitation.
“Number of invitations issued: 1,000,” the notice stated.
It added that candidates ranked among the first 1,000 eligible foreign nationals in the group were eligible to receive invitations.

The round was conducted at 10:13:44 UTC on August 18, with a tie-breaking rule of August 17, 2026, at 22:09:00 UTC.
The tie-breaking rule means that “If more than one candidate has the lowest score, the cut-off is based on the date and time they submitted their Express Entry profiles.”
The invitations were issued under the Canadian Experience Class, one of the classes managed through Canada’s Express Entry system.
The ministerial instructions, signed by Canada’s Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, Lena Metlege Diab, in Ottawa on August 18, stated that invitations could be issued between August 18 and August 19, 2026.
“Invitations may be issued to eligible foreign nationals who rank among the first 1,000 eligible foreign nationals in the group ranking,” the instructions stated.
Express Entry is Canada’s primary online system for managing permanent residence applications from skilled workers.
It covers three federal economic immigration programs: the Canadian Experience Class, the Federal Skilled Worker Program, and the Federal Skilled Trades Program.
Candidates create profiles that are ranked using the Comprehensive Ranking System, which awards points for factors including age, education, language ability, work experience, and other human capital attributes.
The highest-ranked candidates are invited to apply in periodic rounds.
The Canadian Experience Class is designed for skilled workers who already have Canadian work experience and wish to become permanent residents. Eligibility generally requires at least one year (1,560 hours) of skilled work experience in Canada within the past three years in occupations under National Occupational Classification TEER categories 0, 1, 2, or 3, along with minimum language proficiency (Canadian Language Benchmark 7 for TEER 0 or 1 jobs, and CLB 5 for TEER 2 or 3).
There is no education requirement and no need to show settlement funds.
Applicants must plan to live outside Quebec.
The August 18 draw followed a pattern of frequent CEC-focused rounds in 2026. A previous Canadian Experience Class draw on August 5 issued 3,000 invitations with a lower CRS cut-off of 516.
The latest round’s reduced volume and higher cut-off of 523 mark one of the more selective CEC invitations so far this year.
As of mid-August 2026, IRCC had already issued well over 113,000 invitations through Express Entry, with a substantial share going to Canadian Experience Class candidates.
International
Thousands begin journey home from Morocco border with Spain
Thousands of people turned back from the Spanish enclave of Ceuta and returned to Morocco’s Fnideq began boarding buses home on Friday, with the operation continuing on Saturday, according to AFP journalists at the scene.
A Moroccan source close to the operation told AFP on condition of anonymity that the people sent back by Spain are to be transported home directly by bus or via the railway station in Tangier, 70 kilometres (45 miles) away.
According to the source, the Fnideq border crossing is now “completely secure”, as are the hills overlooking it, from which hundreds of people, mostly young men, had thrown stones at security forces on Friday.
The Spanish government announced on Friday evening that at least 48,000 of the 60,000 people who entered Ceuta in recent days had returned to Morocco.
Late Friday, AFP journalists saw around twenty 54-person-capacity buses depart, for a total of about a thousand people.

Fnideq is a small town of just 70,000 inhabitants, roughly equivalent to the population of the enclave of Ceuta, one of Spain’s two North African enclaves.
The buses were headed for Tangier, Tetouan, or the economic capital Casablanca, all equipped with rail facilities to redirect people who had come from as far away as Marrakech, more than 500 kilometres to the south.
“I heard that buses had arrived to take us back home. Honestly, I just want to see my children again. I regret having come all the way here,” said Rachid Aouchari, 32, from Ksar el Kebir, 170 kilometres from Fnideq, who was turned back from Ceuta during the night from Thursday to Friday.
Until midday Friday, clashes had pitted the security forces against migrants seeking to cross into Spain, either by swimming or on foot along a narrow wall leading to the Ceuta crossing point.
Police responded with water cannons and tear gas against hundreds of young men, arresting dozens of them, according to an AFP journalist.
AFP
International
US Military F-35B fighter jet crashes, burns
A fighter jet crashed and erupted into flames at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in California on Friday, sending smoke billowing into the sky that could be seen from miles away.
The single-seat F-35B Lightning II aircraft from Marine Aircraft Group 11, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, went down short of the runway just before 10 a.m. PT.
“The pilot ejected (and) was transported to a local medical facility in stable condition for evaluation and treatment of non-life-threatening injuries,” according to a statement from the wing.
Airport fire crews sprayed the wreckage with firefighting foam and worked to extinguish a grass fire surrounding the crash site.
“F-35 short final crash,” the Miramar air traffic control tower told firefighters in audio recorded by LiveATC.net. “It appeared that the parachute did deploy … and a pilot ejected.”

The cause of the crash was not immediately clear. Military plane crashes are typically investigated by the military as opposed to civilian crashes which are investigated by the National Transportation Safety Board.
Billed as “the most advanced jet fighter in the world” by its manufacturer, the F-35B is a stealth aircraft that can land like a conventional plane, or vertically, similar to a helicopter. The more than 50-foot-long jet is operated by the US Marines, the United Kingdom and the Italian Air Force. The planes cost about $102 million each, according to the manufacturer.
About 15,000 service members from all branches of the military are based at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, located in San Diego. (CNN)
-
News22 hours agoAPC Chairman slumps, dies during reconciliation meeting in Kogi
-
News1 day agoEnugu ADC chairman allegedly murdered in his village
-
News1 day ago2027: Tinubu’ll relocate Nigeria’s capital to Lagos if he wins – Primate Ayodele
-
News3 days agoAlleged Drug Trafficking: Tinubu seeks 10-day delay in release of records
-
News23 hours agoAnother fake agency uncovered, FG suspends three perm secs, orders arrest
-
News3 days ago40 feared dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto
-
Business2 days agoAFRAA welcomes Enugu Air, strengthens Nigeria’s Domestic Aviation growth
-
News3 days agoPlateau Massacre: Save Nigeria Group USA appeals to Trump, US Congress for decisive action




