
News
Ribadu takes over as NSA
Mallam Nuhu Ribadu on Monday, officially assumed duties as the National Security Adviser (NSA) with a pledge to subdue insecurity and stabilise Nigeria.
A statement signed by Zu Mijinyawa, Special Assistant, Strategic Communications, Office of the National Security Adviser, stated that Ribadu took over from former NSA, retired Maj.-Gen. Babagana Monguno, following his appointment by President Bola Tinubu on June 19.
Ribadu said the administration of President Tinubu had enormous responsibility of securing Nigeria, stabilise it and ensure peace in all parts of the country.
According to him,”this is a work for Nigerians and we intend to continue with what has been done.
“We will stabilise this country, we will secure our country and we will make Nigeria peaceful because we believe time has come for this country to enjoy peace, restore order and rule of law just like any other country in the world.

“Securing the nation is a continuous process. We will look at what has been done and build on it. We will count on your support in the course of discharging our responsibilities.
“Mr. President has a huge commitment to securing every inch of our country. We will work with all stakeholders to deliver on this vision.
“This enormous task of securing our country is that of all Nigerians, and all friends of Nigeria.”
Ribadu solicited the full cooperation of all servicemen and women, and by extension all Nigerians.
He said there was need to unite to accomplish the present administration’s quest for a more stable, peaceful and prosperous Nigeria.
In his remarks, the former NSA, Monguno, said Rubadu is well equipped, well qualified, well educated and has a very deep understanding of the complexity of the security challenges confronting the federal Republic of Nigeria.
He said that the new NSA had the capacity to tackle whatever challenges that he might encounter having served in the various positions, saying that Ribadu was starting on a good footing.
“For me, I have been able to handover a comprehensive note to him and also briefed him extensively.
“For me, I want to give gratitude to the Almighty God for giving me the grace to serve for such a long time and also allowing me to depart in good health and enjoy the rest of my life in an atmosphere that is bereft of the type of pressure that is associated with this all important office.
“I am also wishing in the same vein that Mallam Nuhu Ribadu will have a very successful tenure and depart in good health when the time comes for him to depart.
Monguno said the ever changing 21st security environment demands complex approach.
Today we are dealing with a situation in which we have terrorists and insurrectionists. The way and manner you will deal with the situation is such that you will have to rely on collection of competent staff.
He urged the staff to extend the same support and cooperation he enjoyed to his successor to achieve the desired national objective.
News
40 feared dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto
About 40 people are suspected to have lost their lives after a boat carrying farmers to their rice farms capsized in Gorau town, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
The incident occurred while the victims were crossing a stream to access their farms.
An eyewitness said more than 70 people were on the boat when it capsized shortly after taking off.
The village head was among those on board but he was reportedly rescued.
“So far, we have recovered about 40 bodies, while six people, including the village head, were rescued,” a local journalist who was at the scene, Sharhabilu Yahuza Kiliya, told our reporter.

According to him, the victims comprised farm owners and labourers who had been engaged to harvest rice.
“The canoe capsized shortly after take-off. Rescue operations are still ongoing, with local divers searching for those still missing and recovering bodies,” he said. (Daily Trust)
News
Alleged Drug Trafficking: Tinubu seeks 10-day delay in release of records
Ahmed Tinubu has joined the US Department of Justice in seeking a 10-day extension to respond to a motion seeking the release of records relating to allegations of drug trafficking.
Tinubu’s legal team filed a notice of joinder before the US District Court for the District of Columbia, asking to be placed on the same schedule as the defendants in the case.
The filing was published online by Von Batten-Montague-York, L.C., a US-based policy advisory and lobbying firm retained by former Vice President Atiku Abubakar.
In the notice, Tinubu’s lawyers said they were joining the defendants’ request for a 10-day extension to respond to the motion for summary judgment.
“Intervenor joins Defendants’ motion for a 10-day extension of time to file response to the motion for summary judgment (DE 92), inasmuch as Intervenor requests that the responses remain on the same schedule,” the filing stated.

The notice was signed by Christopher W. Carmichael and Victor P. Henderson of Henderson Parks, LLC.
According to the filing, the plaintiff opposed the request, while the defendant did not.
However, US District Judge Beryl Howell subsequently denied the application for an extension, according to the lobbying firm.
In a post on X, Von Batten-Montague-York alleged that the requested delay could give Tinubu additional time to lobby US officials against the release of the records.
The firm claimed that the records could become a subject of discussions around US-Nigeria relations and Tinubu’s cooperation with Washington on security matters.
It also raised concerns about what it described as possible attempts by US government officials to influence the judicial or Freedom of Information Act process.
The case, Aaron Greenspan v. Executive Office for U.S. Attorneys, et al., Civil Action No. 23-1816 (BAH), has been pending for more than three years.
The records sought in the case concern US investigations and allegations relating to Tinubu and suspected drug-trafficking activities.
Previous reports have linked a $460,000 asset forfeiture involving Tinubu to a US federal investigation into a Chicago-based heroin-trafficking network in the late 1980s and early 1990s.
Court records and affidavits from US authorities have been cited in reports about the forfeiture proceedings.
In 1993, a US District Court ordered the forfeiture of $460,000 held in an account in Tinubu’s name to the US government.
The order stated that the funds represented proceeds of narcotics trafficking or were involved in transactions violating money-laundering laws.
Tinubu has consistently denied wrongdoing and rejected allegations that he was involved in drug trafficking.
His lawyers have maintained that the forfeiture proceeding was an in rem civil action against the money, rather than a criminal case against Tinubu.
They have also argued that he was never arrested, indicted, arraigned or convicted of a drug offence in the United States. (Nigerian Tribune)
News
Plateau Massacre: Save Nigeria Group USA appeals to Trump, US Congress for decisive action
Save Nigeria Group (SNG) USA and its coalition partners have condemned the reported killing of at least 24 civilians in an attack on communities in Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State, appealing to United States President Donald Trump and Congress to intensify security cooperation with Nigeria.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, the group said the attack began on the night of August 17 and continued into the early hours of August 18 in Bin-Per, also reported as Bin Mper or Binper, in Kombun District of Mangu LGA.
According to the statement, armed assailants reportedly moved from house to house, attacking residents while they slept, destroying homes and farmlands and leaving several people dead or injured.
The group said initial reports put the death toll at 18 but that subsequent reports indicated between 24 and 26 fatalities. It cited the Plateau State Government as confirming 24 deaths and Reuters as reporting at least 25.
SNG USA said the victims reportedly included women and children, while a mass burial was subsequently held for 24 victims.

“We refuse to look away,” the organisation declared, calling for urgent international attention to the continuing violence against vulnerable Nigerian communities.
The group said local victims, community representatives and civil society organisations had identified the attackers as Fulani ethnic militias, but stressed that the identity and classification of perpetrators should not obscure the immediate need to protect civilians.
“Call it whatever you want—just stop the killings,” SNG USA said, arguing that debates over whether the violence should be characterised as terrorism, communal conflict, religious persecution, criminality or a combination of factors should not distract from the loss of lives.
Appeal to Trump, Congress
The organisation made a direct appeal to President Trump and the US Congress for stronger support for Nigeria’s security efforts.
“We therefore appeal directly to President Donald J. Trump and the United States Congress: Please, do something to help stop these killings,” the group stated.
It said the United States possessed significant diplomatic, intelligence, economic, technological and security capabilities that could be deployed to support efforts to protect vulnerable communities.
SNG USA also called on US Africa Command (AFRICOM) and the broader US national-security establishment to give greater strategic attention to armed groups responsible for attacks on Nigerian civilians.
“Every armed group that targets civilians must be confronted, regardless of ethnicity, religion, political affiliation, or geographic identity,” the group said.
The organisation also welcomed the recent US-Nigeria Joint Working Group discussions in Washington, D.C., and urged both countries to move from dialogue to concrete security measures.
It called for stronger intelligence capabilities, surveillance, rapid-response capacity, modern equipment, training, logistics and technology to support Nigerian security agencies.
Calls for arrests and stronger protection
SNG USA welcomed the Plateau State Government’s directive for intensified surveillance and patrols in Bin Mper and other vulnerable communities in Mangu, but said patrols must lead to concrete results.
“Surveillance and patrols must translate into prevention, rapid response, arrests, prosecution, and lasting protection,” the organisation stated.
It demanded the immediate identification and arrest of those responsible for the August 17–18 attacks, alongside a transparent investigation into the circumstances surrounding the killings.
The group also called for stronger early-warning systems, protection of farming communities, humanitarian assistance for survivors and displaced families, and accountability for perpetrators regardless of their identity or affiliation.
While commending recent security successes, including the reported rescue of school students and teachers in Oyo State, SNG USA urged the Nigerian Government to do more to protect rural communities.
“Protecting vulnerable rural communities from mass murder must become an absolute priority of state power,” it said.
The organisation concluded by urging Nigerian and international authorities to intensify efforts to prevent further attacks, declaring: “The killing must stop. The impunity must end. The world must not look away.”
-
News22 hours agoBREAKING: Gunmen attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo shortly after receiving Certificate of Return
-
International1 day agoCanada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence
-
Uncategorized1 day ago2027: Obi unfolds agenda as campaigns begin
-
News1 day agoWhy I won’t apologise to Okpebholo — Davido
-
News20 hours agoLagos shuts churches over noise pollution
-
News24 hours agoEven if Tinubu appoints Seyi as INEC chairman, he’ll be defeated in 2027 — Dalung
-
News20 hours agoTwo shot as police attempt to arrest suspects in Anambra
-
News1 day agoAccess Bank asks court to recover N1.3bn stolen by Yahoo Boys




