
News
Enugu Stakeholders endorse Ban on Sit-at-home, Mbah’s move to secure Nnamdi Kanu’s release
• Enugu loses N10b every sit-at-home – Mbah
• S’East has lost N5.375 trillion to sit-at-home – CP
Stakeholders and representatives of various bodies, institutions, organisations, associations, professional bodies, government officials, and heads of security and intelligence agencies who rose from a town-hall meeting in Enugu, on Saturday, have endorsed the ban on Monday sit-at-home by the Enugu State Government, saying it was detrimental to productivity, investment flow, and the Igbo spirit of creativity, entrepreneurship and commerce.
The town-hall enjoined members of the public to resume work and go about their normal daily businesses as various security and intelligence agencies have, in their joint and collaborative efforts, given assurances of citizens’ safety.
The town-hall equally backed and commended Governor Mbah “for the laudable steps taken so far to ensure peace is returned to the state, which include his recent visit to the President, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for the release of the leader of the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB), Mazi Nnamdi Kanu”, which the stakeholders said would “expedite the process of national healing, national integration, and national reconciliation”.
This was even as Governor Peter Mbah described the syndrome as a setback to the delivery of the campaign promises of his administration, noting that the state had lost N10 billion on each Monday.
On his part, the Commissioner of Police, Enugu State Command, Mr. Ahmed Ammani, who spoke on behalf of the heads of security agencies in the state, said that the South East region had lost well over N5.375 trillion to illegal sit-at-home, urging the people to go about their lawful businesses as the heads of the security agencies had “galvanized the personnel, operational and intelligence resources of the agencies, and deployed them towards ensuring adequate security and safety of the people.

The stakeholders made their stand known in the communiqué adopted at a town-hall meeting organised by the Enugu State Government at the Old Government Lodge, Enugu, on Saturday.

Enugu stakeholders being addressed by Governor Mbah at the meeting
The stakeholders, after extensive and exhaustive deliberations at the town-hall, which also had Governor Mbah; the Deputy Governor, Barr. Ifeanyi Ossai; Commissioner of Police, Ahmed Ammani, clergies, town union Presidents-General, traditional rulers, labour and market unions, students and youths, among others, in attendamnce, equally gave their total supports to “any security measure or measures and other steps the State Government deems necessary in order to end the Monday sit-at-home and get people back to work in the overall interest of the state and its residents”.
While urging the security agencies to continue to work round the clock in order to reassure citizens and residents of their safety every day of the week, the town-hall equally called on the Enugu State government to “resuscitate, overhaul, rejig and strengthen internal security mechanisms, such as the Community Policing, Neighbourhood Watch, Forest Guards, amongst others, in the state”.
They called on members of the public to support the crime fighting efforts of the government and security agencies by sharing information on suspicious movements and gatherings by strange persons or groups of persons in any part or borders of the state.
While emphasising more public enlightenment on the adverse impacts of sit-at-home on Enugu State, it urged persons and groups with genuine grievances to take the opportunity of dialogue offered by the Government of Enugu State to engage the government on their grievances to ensure lasting peace and security in the state.
How Enugu loses N10b every Monday – Mbah
Meanwhile, in his opening remarks, Governor Peter Mbah, who praised the people of Enugu State and security agencies for the relative success of the first Monday after the abolition of the sit-at-home, put the cost of each sit-at-home at N10 billion, saying the state could not hit the $30 billion gross domestic product (GDP) target set by his administration at that rate.
“If we take the impact the Monday sit-at-home has on our GDP, you will then begin to see why it is almost impossible for all of us.
“We have proposed to grow our GDP from the current level of $4.4 billion to $30 billion. That growth is going to come from the private sector. And the private sector will not come to Enugu to reside their business if they know that we do not have five workdays, which is obtainable elsewhere”, he said.
Mbah, who further lamented the grave consequences of sit-at-home on the future Enugu children and psyche of the people, added that the deliverables by his administration were equally hinged on the ability of the state to work on Mondays.
“We have a bargain that water will flow in your homes in Enugu city in 180 days and I am sure that you won’t take any excuses. But if you look at the number of Mondays that we will lose if we continue with this practice of sit-at-home, we will be denied about 20 Mondays. But what we want to do is to make sure that water is flowing in your homes in 180 days.
“So, I am calling on us to rise to the occasion, to understand that this is about us, this is about our children, and our children’s future and we can’t not afford to fail them”, he concluded.
The 21 signatories to the communiqué, who were equally among the speakers at the town-hall, included the Commissioner of Police in Enugu State, Ahmed Ammani; Anglican Archbishop of Enugu Ecclesiastical Province, Most Revd Emmanuel Chukwuma; Chairman, Christian Association of Nigeria, Enugu State, Rev. Emmanuel Edeh; Coordinating Chairman, Nigerian Bar Association, Enugu State, Barr. Ugo Ferdinand Ukwueze; Coordinator, Financial Institutions in Enugu State, Prince Chiwetalu Nwatu; HRH Igwe Lawrence Agubuzu for the Enugu State Traditional Rulers Council; and Chairman of the Association of Local Governments of Nigeria, Hon. Solomon Onah;
Others included the Chairman, National Union of Road Transport Workers, Enugu State, Chief Martins Asogwa; Sammy Ajufor for the media community; President of Enugu State Amalgamated Traders Association, Comrade Stephen Aniagu; Chairman, Nigeria Labour Congress, Enugu State, Barr. Fabian Nwigbo; Chairman of the Enugu State chapter of the Trade Union Congress, Comrade Ben Asogwa; Chairman of the Nigeria Union of Teachers in Enugu State, Comrade Nweke Odoh; Chairman of the Enugu State chapter of the National Youth Council of Nigeria, Comrade Ebuka Okoh, Chairman of the Association of Presidents-General of Enugu State Town Unions, Barr. Paully Eze; and Chairman, Tricycle Riders Association, Comrade Monday Onwuka.
The Chairman, Inter-Party Advisory Council, Enugu State, Comrade Edwin Ikechukwu; Chairperson of Nsukka Traders Association, Hon. Ngozi Ozioko; leader of the National Association of Nigerian Students, Enugu State, Comrade Ugochukwu Anichukwu, were equally among the signatories.
News
Two shot as police attempt to arrest suspects in Anambra
Two persons sustained gunshot injuries on Wednesday during an attempted arrest by police officers at the River Niger Head Bridge, Onitsha, Anambra State, causing panic and disrupting vehicular and pedestrian movement in the area.
The incident, which occurred around noon, caused gridlock along the busy Onitsha-Awka Expressway, as a confrontation reportedly broke out between the security operatives and some hoodlums.
Eyewitnesses near the scene said the victims were shot during the confrontation and later became unconscious before they were rushed to a nearby hospital.
One of the sources said, “The incident occurred this afternoon. It arose from a confrontation between the police officers and the victims. They were being stopped by the officers for questioning. In an attempt to arrest them, they resisted the arrest and the police fired some shots at them.
“The incident resulted in heavy skirmishes around the Bridgehead Market as people scampered to safety. The area remained in chaos until the arrival of another batch of police team. The victims were later rushed to a nearby hospital.”

Confirming the incident, the spokesperson for the Anambra State Police Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, said the incident occurred when the suspects allegedly resisted arrest, resulting in gunshot injuries.
Ikenga said the Commissioner of Police, Nnanna Oji Ama, had visited the scene and addressed the crowd, adding that an investigation had commenced to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the incident.
According to him, the CP subsequently visited the victims at the hospital, where he assured them of the command’s support and pledged to personally ensure that their medical expenses were covered.
He said, “The Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Command, CP Nnanna Oji, while addressing the crowd in Onitsha over the incident arising from a confrontation during an attempted arrest, stated that the immediate priority of the Command is to ensure that the victims recover fully.
“The incident occurred when suspects allegedly resisted arrest, resulting in gunshot injuries. The Commissioner of Police subsequently visited the victims at the hospital, where he assured them of the Command’s support and pledged to personally ensure that their medical expenses are covered.
“The CP further ordered a thorough and impartial investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident, particularly the events leading to the discharge of the firearm.
“He stressed that the investigation will establish the facts and ensure that appropriate action is taken based on its findings.
“The Commissioner of Police appealed for calm and urged members of the public to remain peaceful and allow the investigation to run its course.”
Ikenga reiterated the command’s commitment to professionalism, accountability, respect for human life and the rule of law.
“Meanwhile, traffic and human movement around the Head Bridge area have been de-escalated, with free flow of vehicular and human movement now restored,” he added.
News
Lagos shuts churches over noise pollution
Three churches in Lagos State have been shut down by the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA) over noise pollution as part of an enforcement exercise targeting 11 establishments in Agege and Mushin.
The affected churches are Holy Temple of Christ on Ayetoro Street, behind NIPCO Filling Station, Mushin; Christ Covenant Gospel Church, Western District, along Ikorodu Road, Fadeyi, Mushin; and Christ Apostolic Church, Oye Iyanu, located at Mushin Road, Church Bus Stop, Itire.
LASEPA carried out the enforcement operation on Tuesday after the affected establishments had received warnings and notices over environmental violations.
The agency said the establishments were given opportunities to correct the problems but failed to meet the required standards.
The shutdown of the three churches was linked to noise pollution, with the agency maintaining that religious activities and other operations must comply with environmental regulations to protect residents and maintain peace within communities.

LASEPA also sealed Akorohunfayo Central Mosque on Akorohunfayo Street, Fadeyi, Mushin, over noise pollution.
Other establishments affected included Biolarique Bakery Academy on Mushin Road, Mushin, which was sealed for failing to comply with the agency’s directives.
Tiles & Marbles on Silver Street, Olorunsogo, Mushin, was also shut over air pollution.
Five scrap yards operating in Agege and Mushin were equally sealed.
The facilities were accused of various environmental offences, including failure to provide evidence of an E-Waste Permit, environmental pollution and non-compliance with directives issued by LASEPA.
The affected scrap yards are Abubakar Scrap at Pipeline, Ifako-Ijaiye, Agege; Benjamin Scrap Yard on Ladoje Street, Oko Oba, Agege; Starlas and Sons Scrap Yard, also on Ladoje Street, Oko Oba, Agege; Jamin Scrap Yard at Jungle Bus Stop, Iju Road, Agege; and a Scrap Yard on Olu Aina Street, Daleko, Mushin.
LASEPA General Manager, Dr Babatunde Ajayi, said the agency would continue to monitor establishments across Lagos and enforce environmental regulations where operators fail to comply.
He urged religious organisations, business owners, facility operators, scrap dealers and other residents to obtain the necessary permits, follow environmental rules and take steps to prevent activities that could affect public health or the wellbeing of people living around their facilities.
The agency said further monitoring and enforcement exercises would continue across Lagos as part of efforts to maintain a cleaner and safer environment.
News
Gov Mbah appoints 23 Special Advisers, Senior Special Assistants
Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State has approved the appointment of 23 Special Advisers and Senior Special Assistants to support his administration in various areas of governance.
The appointments, contained in a Public Service Announcement signed by the Secretary to the Enugu State Government, Prof. Chidiebere Onyia, on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, take effect immediately.
Nine of the appointees were appointed Special Advisers, while 14 were appointed Senior Special Assistants.
Among those appointed as Special Advisers are Hon. Chukwudi Ezinwa, Labour Union and Association Matters; Hon. Sunday Nnamani (Orlando), Special Duties; Mr. Williams Chukwu, Agriculture; Prince Afam Agana, Infrastructure Compliance; and Humphrey Onyima, Investment Strategy and Public Relations.
Others are Hon. Tony Ugwu, Rural Development; Chief Ernest Nweze, Party Coordination and Mobilisation; Hon. Emeka Onunze, Monitoring and Evaluation; and Mr. Robinson Odo (mni), Labour and Productivity.
Those appointed as Senior Special Assistants include Pastor Kenneth Asogwa (Ebube Muonso), Heritage and Community Relations; Pastor Tochukwu Ogbodo, Social Engagement; Barr. Lucky Chukwu, Public Affairs; Belonwu Nnaji, Cultural Orientation; and Hon. Steve Odo, Tourism.

Also appointed are Hon. Francis Ikewette Ede, Public Communication; Mr. Sunny Okafor, General Duties; Hon. Chinedu Okwu Otaka, Social Orientation and Mobilisation; Otaba Cosmas Ikechukwu, Protection of Public Utilities; Pius Okeagu, Assets Management; and Rt. Hon. Innocent Emeka Ugwu, Inter-Party Affairs.
The remaining appointees are Mrs. Eucharia Offor, Human Resource Management; Mr. Kenneth Oforma, Policy and Communication; and Kelvin Ede, Research and Strategy.
The state government said the appointments are effective immediately.
The new appointments are expected to strengthen the administration’s capacity across key sectors, including agriculture, infrastructure, investment, labour, rural development, public communication, tourism, human resources and community relations.
The full statement:
ENUGU STATE GOVERNMENT
OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY TO THE STATE GOVERNMENT
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
The Governor of Enugu State, His Excellency, Dr. Peter Ndubuisi Mbah, has approved the appointment of the following persons as Special Advisers (SPAs) and Senior Special Assistants (SSAs):
1. *Hon. Chukwudi Ezinwa* — Special Adviser on Labour Union and Association Matters
2. *Hon. Sunday Nnamani (Orlando)* — Special Adviser on Special Duties
3. *Mr. Williams Chukwu* — Special Adviser on Agriculture
4. *Prince Afam Agana* — Special Adviser on Infrastructure Compliance
5. *Humphrey Onyima* — Special Adviser on Investment Strategy and Public Relations
6. *Hon. Tony Ugwu* — Special Adviser on Rural Development
7. *Chief Ernest Nweze* — Special Adviser on Party Coordination and Mobilisation
8. *Hon. Emeka Onunze* — Special Adviser on Monitoring and Evaluation
9. *Mr. Robinson Odo (mni) — Special Adviser on Labour and Productivity*
10. *Pastor Kenneth Asogwa (Ebube Muonso)* — Senior Special Assistant on Heritage and Community Relations
11. *Pastor Tochukwu Ogbodo* — Senior Special Assistant on Social Engagement
12. *Barr. Lucky Chukwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Public Affairs
13. *Belonwu Nnaji* — Senior Special Assistant on Cultural Orientation
14. *Hon. Steve Odo* — Senior Special Assistant on Tourism
15. *Hon. Francis Ikewette Ede* — Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication
16. *Mr. Sunny Okafor* — Senior Special Assistant on General Duties
17. *Hon. Chinedu Okwu Otaka* — Senior Special Assistant on Social Orientation and Mobilisation
18. *Otaba Cosmas Ikechukwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Protection of Public Utilities
19. *Pius Okeagu* — Senior Special Assistant on Assets Management
20. *Rt. Hon. Innocent Emeka Ugwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Inter-Party Affairs
21. *Mrs. Eucharia Offor* — Senior Special Assistant on Human Resource Management
22. *Mr. Kenneth Oforma* — Senior Special Assistant on Policy and Communication
23. *Kelvin Ede — Senior Special Assistant on Research and Strategy*
The appointments take effect immediately.
Signed:
Prof. Chidiebere Onyia
Secretary to the Enugu State Government
Wednesday, 19th August, 2026
-
International22 hours agoCanada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence
-
News18 hours agoBREAKING: Gunmen attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo shortly after receiving Certificate of Return
-
Uncategorized22 hours ago2027: Obi unfolds agenda as campaigns begin
-
News1 day agoWhy I won’t apologise to Okpebholo — Davido
-
News1 day agoAccess Bank asks court to recover N1.3bn stolen by Yahoo Boys
-
News20 hours agoEven if Tinubu appoints Seyi as INEC chairman, he’ll be defeated in 2027 — Dalung
-
News16 hours agoTwo shot as police attempt to arrest suspects in Anambra
-
News16 hours agoLagos shuts churches over noise pollution




