
News
World Leaders, others in Abuja for Tinubu’s inauguration today
No fewer than 20 presidents of countries around the world, including Africa are in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital, to witness today’s inauguration of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu as the 16th president of the country.
Tinubu’s inauguration marks the 7th consecutive democratic transition of power in the 24 years of unbroken democracy in Nigeria, following the return to civilian administration in 1999.
The Secretary to the Government of the Federation and Chairman of the Presidential Transition Council, Boss Mustapha, who had earlier unveiled the programme of events for the inauguration at a world press conference in Abuja, said all arrangements have been concluded for a seamless transition of power.
He disclosed that the federal government has extended invitations to some presidents and heads of government as well as heads of international organisations, saying he was glad to report that many of the invitees confirmed attendance in person.
“Let me once again assure Nigerians and indeed the global community of President Muhammadu Buhari’s commitment to the seamless transfer of power to President-Elect, His Excellency, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, as the 16th President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“The upcoming event is historically significant to this great nation and the international community, particularly Africa because of the democratic values and lessons in nationhood. For these reasons, we have chosen, ‘Nigeria: Better Together’, as the theme for the 2023 transition,” he said.
The world leaders attended the presidential inauguration dinner and gala night held at the State House, Abuja yesterday.
Tinubu, the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), was declared the winner of the February 25, 2023 presidential election by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
He defeated 17 other candidates, among them, his closest rivals, Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and Peter Obi of the Labour Party to clinch Nigeria’s most coveted seat.
However, his victory is being challenged at the election petition tribunal by both Atiku and Obi who alleged that the electoral body rigged the election to favour the former Lagos State governor. Both INEC and the ruling party have denied the allegation.
The inauguration ceremony is billed for Eagle Square, Abuja amidst high expectations from Nigerians and the world due to the importance of Nigeria to regional, continental and global stability and influences.
While Tinubu would be inaugurated in Abuja, similar exercises would take place in 28 states.
The states are Abia, Adamawa, Akwa Ibom, Bauchi, Benue, Borno, Cross River and Delta.
Others are Ebonyi, Enugu, Gombe, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Kwara, Lagos, Nasarawa, Niger, Ogun, Oyo, Plateau, Rivers, Sokoto, Taraba, Yobe and Zamfara states.
Brand new governors would be sworn-in in 18 states, where the governors have served out their two terms. The states are Abia, Akwa Ibom, Benue, Cross River, Delta, Ebonyi, Enugu, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Niger, Plateau, Rivers, Sokoto, Taraba and Zamfara.
Sixteen of the governors to be inaugurated today are of the All Progressives Congress (APC), including Uba Sani (Kaduna), Bassey Otu (Cross River), Mohammed Bago (Niger), Umar Namadi (Jigawa), Ahmed Aliyu (Sokoto), Dikko Radda (Katsina), Hyacinth Alia (Benue), Francis Nwifuru (Ebonyi), Inuwa Yahaya (Gombe), Mai Mala Buni (Yobe), Abdullahi Sule (Nasarawa), Babajide Sanwo-Olu (Lagos), Dapo Abiodun (Ogun), AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq (Kwara), Babagana Zulum (Borno) and Umar Namadi (Jigawa).
Similarly, 10 state governors on the platform of the PDP will take charge today. They are Seyi Makinde (Oyo), Bala Mohammed (Bauchi), Kefas Agbu (Taraba), Caleb Mutfwang (Plateau), Peter Mbah (Enugu), Umo Eno (Akwa Ibom), Dauda Lawal (Zamfara), Siminialayi Fubara (Rivers), Sheriff Oborevwori (Delta) and Ahmadu Umaru Fintiri (Adamawa).
Abba Kabir of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) will be sworn in as governor of Kano State, while Alex Otti of the Labour Party (LP) will be inaugurated as the chief executive of Abia.
Ahead of today’s ceremonies, security operatives had been placed on red alert to abort any threat to the events.
World leaders in Abuja
It was gathered that among the early arrivals on Sunday was the Indian delegation, with the government sending the Defence Minister, Mr Rajnath Singh, as a Special Envoy of the Prime Minister to attend Tinubu’s inauguration.
The Indian Embassy in Nigeria had earlier issued a statement on Saturday that Singh would arrive in Abuja on Sunday for the occasion.
“Mr Singh is accompanied by a high-level delegation comprising senior officials from the Ministry of Defence and Ministry of External Affairs of India,” the statement said.
Similarly, a delegation from the Canadian Government is being represented by the Minister of Housing, Diversity and Inclusion, Ahmed Hussen, as head.
It was also learnt that the United Kingdom’s delegation arrived in Abuja on Sunday afternoon.
The delegation, comprising the Special Envoy of King Charles is led by the Minister of State for Development and Africa at the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, Andrew Mitchell; the Prime Minister’s Trade Envoy to Nigeria and Special Envoy on Girls’ Education, Helen Grant, and the British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Dr Richard Montgomery.
The nine-man delegation from the United States as approved by President Joe Biden, last Monday, is being led by Marcia L. Fudge, US Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.
The American delegation has since arrived in Nigeria.
Other members of the US delegation to Nigeria include David Greene, chargé d’affaires at the US Embassy in Abuja; Sydney Kamlager-Dove, Democratic Representative from California; Marisa Lago, the US Department of Commerce’s Under Secretary of Commerce for International Trade and Michael E. Langley, the commander of the United States Africa Command.
Others include Enoh T. Ebong, director of the United States Trade and Development Agency; Mary Catherine Phee, the US Department of State’s Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs; Judd Devermont, national security council’s special assistant to the president and senior director for African issues; and Monde Muyangwa, the assistant administrator for Africa at the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
The Chinese government delegation, led by a Communist Party leader and minister is leading the unspecified delegation as confirmed by the Embassy in Abuja.
Also in Abuja for the epoch-making ceremony, is the Turkish government delegation.
African leaders
Meanwhile, the Rwandan government also announced the arrival of President Paul Kagame in Abuja to attend the handover ceremony.
“President Kagame has arrived in Abuja, Nigeria, where he will attend the swearing-in ceremony of President-elect Bola Ahmed Tinubu alongside other Heads of State from around the world,” Rwanda’s presidency tweeted.
Algerian President Abdelmadjid Tebboune has also reportedly arrived for the ceremony leading a 10-man high-powered delegation.
The Sierra Leonean and Liberian governments’ delegations have also arrived in Abuja for the ceremony. South African President, Cyril Ramaphosa, has also arrived.
Also in Abuja is the president of Tanzania, Samia Suluhu Hassan; president of the Republic of Congo Brazzaville, Denis Sassou Nguesso; president of Guinea Bissau, Umaro Sissoco Embaló; while the Qatar delegation is led by Foreign Minister, Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani
The president of Burundi, Évariste Ndayishimiye; the Transitional President of Chad, Mahamat Déby; the President of Niger Republic, Mohamed Bazoum; and President Nana Akufo-Ado of Ghana are also in Nigeria for today’s ceremony. (Daily Trust)
News
Two shot as police attempt to arrest suspects in Anambra
Two persons sustained gunshot injuries on Wednesday during an attempted arrest by police officers at the River Niger Head Bridge, Onitsha, Anambra State, causing panic and disrupting vehicular and pedestrian movement in the area.
The incident, which occurred around noon, caused gridlock along the busy Onitsha-Awka Expressway, as a confrontation reportedly broke out between the security operatives and some hoodlums.
Eyewitnesses near the scene said the victims were shot during the confrontation and later became unconscious before they were rushed to a nearby hospital.
One of the sources said, “The incident occurred this afternoon. It arose from a confrontation between the police officers and the victims. They were being stopped by the officers for questioning. In an attempt to arrest them, they resisted the arrest and the police fired some shots at them.
“The incident resulted in heavy skirmishes around the Bridgehead Market as people scampered to safety. The area remained in chaos until the arrival of another batch of police team. The victims were later rushed to a nearby hospital.”

Confirming the incident, the spokesperson for the Anambra State Police Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, said the incident occurred when the suspects allegedly resisted arrest, resulting in gunshot injuries.
Ikenga said the Commissioner of Police, Nnanna Oji Ama, had visited the scene and addressed the crowd, adding that an investigation had commenced to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the incident.
According to him, the CP subsequently visited the victims at the hospital, where he assured them of the command’s support and pledged to personally ensure that their medical expenses were covered.
He said, “The Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Command, CP Nnanna Oji, while addressing the crowd in Onitsha over the incident arising from a confrontation during an attempted arrest, stated that the immediate priority of the Command is to ensure that the victims recover fully.
“The incident occurred when suspects allegedly resisted arrest, resulting in gunshot injuries. The Commissioner of Police subsequently visited the victims at the hospital, where he assured them of the Command’s support and pledged to personally ensure that their medical expenses are covered.
“The CP further ordered a thorough and impartial investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident, particularly the events leading to the discharge of the firearm.
“He stressed that the investigation will establish the facts and ensure that appropriate action is taken based on its findings.
“The Commissioner of Police appealed for calm and urged members of the public to remain peaceful and allow the investigation to run its course.”
Ikenga reiterated the command’s commitment to professionalism, accountability, respect for human life and the rule of law.
“Meanwhile, traffic and human movement around the Head Bridge area have been de-escalated, with free flow of vehicular and human movement now restored,” he added.
News
Lagos shuts churches over noise pollution
Three churches in Lagos State have been shut down by the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA) over noise pollution as part of an enforcement exercise targeting 11 establishments in Agege and Mushin.
The affected churches are Holy Temple of Christ on Ayetoro Street, behind NIPCO Filling Station, Mushin; Christ Covenant Gospel Church, Western District, along Ikorodu Road, Fadeyi, Mushin; and Christ Apostolic Church, Oye Iyanu, located at Mushin Road, Church Bus Stop, Itire.
LASEPA carried out the enforcement operation on Tuesday after the affected establishments had received warnings and notices over environmental violations.
The agency said the establishments were given opportunities to correct the problems but failed to meet the required standards.
The shutdown of the three churches was linked to noise pollution, with the agency maintaining that religious activities and other operations must comply with environmental regulations to protect residents and maintain peace within communities.

LASEPA also sealed Akorohunfayo Central Mosque on Akorohunfayo Street, Fadeyi, Mushin, over noise pollution.
Other establishments affected included Biolarique Bakery Academy on Mushin Road, Mushin, which was sealed for failing to comply with the agency’s directives.
Tiles & Marbles on Silver Street, Olorunsogo, Mushin, was also shut over air pollution.
Five scrap yards operating in Agege and Mushin were equally sealed.
The facilities were accused of various environmental offences, including failure to provide evidence of an E-Waste Permit, environmental pollution and non-compliance with directives issued by LASEPA.
The affected scrap yards are Abubakar Scrap at Pipeline, Ifako-Ijaiye, Agege; Benjamin Scrap Yard on Ladoje Street, Oko Oba, Agege; Starlas and Sons Scrap Yard, also on Ladoje Street, Oko Oba, Agege; Jamin Scrap Yard at Jungle Bus Stop, Iju Road, Agege; and a Scrap Yard on Olu Aina Street, Daleko, Mushin.
LASEPA General Manager, Dr Babatunde Ajayi, said the agency would continue to monitor establishments across Lagos and enforce environmental regulations where operators fail to comply.
He urged religious organisations, business owners, facility operators, scrap dealers and other residents to obtain the necessary permits, follow environmental rules and take steps to prevent activities that could affect public health or the wellbeing of people living around their facilities.
The agency said further monitoring and enforcement exercises would continue across Lagos as part of efforts to maintain a cleaner and safer environment.
News
Gov Mbah appoints 23 Special Advisers, Senior Special Assistants
Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State has approved the appointment of 23 Special Advisers and Senior Special Assistants to support his administration in various areas of governance.
The appointments, contained in a Public Service Announcement signed by the Secretary to the Enugu State Government, Prof. Chidiebere Onyia, on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, take effect immediately.
Nine of the appointees were appointed Special Advisers, while 14 were appointed Senior Special Assistants.
Among those appointed as Special Advisers are Hon. Chukwudi Ezinwa, Labour Union and Association Matters; Hon. Sunday Nnamani (Orlando), Special Duties; Mr. Williams Chukwu, Agriculture; Prince Afam Agana, Infrastructure Compliance; and Humphrey Onyima, Investment Strategy and Public Relations.
Others are Hon. Tony Ugwu, Rural Development; Chief Ernest Nweze, Party Coordination and Mobilisation; Hon. Emeka Onunze, Monitoring and Evaluation; and Mr. Robinson Odo (mni), Labour and Productivity.
Those appointed as Senior Special Assistants include Pastor Kenneth Asogwa (Ebube Muonso), Heritage and Community Relations; Pastor Tochukwu Ogbodo, Social Engagement; Barr. Lucky Chukwu, Public Affairs; Belonwu Nnaji, Cultural Orientation; and Hon. Steve Odo, Tourism.

Also appointed are Hon. Francis Ikewette Ede, Public Communication; Mr. Sunny Okafor, General Duties; Hon. Chinedu Okwu Otaka, Social Orientation and Mobilisation; Otaba Cosmas Ikechukwu, Protection of Public Utilities; Pius Okeagu, Assets Management; and Rt. Hon. Innocent Emeka Ugwu, Inter-Party Affairs.
The remaining appointees are Mrs. Eucharia Offor, Human Resource Management; Mr. Kenneth Oforma, Policy and Communication; and Kelvin Ede, Research and Strategy.
The state government said the appointments are effective immediately.
The new appointments are expected to strengthen the administration’s capacity across key sectors, including agriculture, infrastructure, investment, labour, rural development, public communication, tourism, human resources and community relations.
The full statement:
ENUGU STATE GOVERNMENT
OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY TO THE STATE GOVERNMENT
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
The Governor of Enugu State, His Excellency, Dr. Peter Ndubuisi Mbah, has approved the appointment of the following persons as Special Advisers (SPAs) and Senior Special Assistants (SSAs):
1. *Hon. Chukwudi Ezinwa* — Special Adviser on Labour Union and Association Matters
2. *Hon. Sunday Nnamani (Orlando)* — Special Adviser on Special Duties
3. *Mr. Williams Chukwu* — Special Adviser on Agriculture
4. *Prince Afam Agana* — Special Adviser on Infrastructure Compliance
5. *Humphrey Onyima* — Special Adviser on Investment Strategy and Public Relations
6. *Hon. Tony Ugwu* — Special Adviser on Rural Development
7. *Chief Ernest Nweze* — Special Adviser on Party Coordination and Mobilisation
8. *Hon. Emeka Onunze* — Special Adviser on Monitoring and Evaluation
9. *Mr. Robinson Odo (mni) — Special Adviser on Labour and Productivity*
10. *Pastor Kenneth Asogwa (Ebube Muonso)* — Senior Special Assistant on Heritage and Community Relations
11. *Pastor Tochukwu Ogbodo* — Senior Special Assistant on Social Engagement
12. *Barr. Lucky Chukwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Public Affairs
13. *Belonwu Nnaji* — Senior Special Assistant on Cultural Orientation
14. *Hon. Steve Odo* — Senior Special Assistant on Tourism
15. *Hon. Francis Ikewette Ede* — Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication
16. *Mr. Sunny Okafor* — Senior Special Assistant on General Duties
17. *Hon. Chinedu Okwu Otaka* — Senior Special Assistant on Social Orientation and Mobilisation
18. *Otaba Cosmas Ikechukwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Protection of Public Utilities
19. *Pius Okeagu* — Senior Special Assistant on Assets Management
20. *Rt. Hon. Innocent Emeka Ugwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Inter-Party Affairs
21. *Mrs. Eucharia Offor* — Senior Special Assistant on Human Resource Management
22. *Mr. Kenneth Oforma* — Senior Special Assistant on Policy and Communication
23. *Kelvin Ede — Senior Special Assistant on Research and Strategy*
The appointments take effect immediately.
Signed:
Prof. Chidiebere Onyia
Secretary to the Enugu State Government
Wednesday, 19th August, 2026
-
International10 hours agoCanada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence
-
News3 days agoSheikh Jingir: Christianity not subordinate to any religion in Nigeria — Pastor Enenche
-
Uncategorized10 hours ago2027: Obi unfolds agenda as campaigns begin
-
News6 hours agoBREAKING: Gunmen attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo shortly after receiving Certificate of Return
-
News3 days agoWanted banditry kingpin, Ado Aleru, attends fresh ‘peace talks’ with Katsina community residents
-
News17 hours agoWhy I won’t apologise to Okpebholo — Davido
-
News14 hours agoAccess Bank asks court to recover N1.3bn stolen by Yahoo Boys
-
Opinion1 day agoNational Ranching Policy: Whose Land, Whose Ranches, Whose Future?




