Connect with us

News

Nigerian Army massacred children in its war against insurgents – Report

Published

on

Spread the love
The Federal Government has described a report published by Reuters, an international news organisation, accusing the Nigerian Army of infanticide as fake news.
This is just as the news agency published a fresh report on Monday in which it accused the Nigerian Army of carrying out a massacre of children during the ongoing war against terrorism.

Reuters had, in the first report released last Wednesday, accused the Army of running a secret abortion programme on female victims of terrorists, adding that no fewer than 10, 000 pregnancies had been terminated since at least 2013.Following the Reuters investigation, the United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called on Nigerian authorities to investigate allegations against the service.

However, speaking at an event meant to showcase the scorecard of the Ministry of Science, Technology, and Innovation under the present regime in Abuja on Monday, the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, accused Reuters of making such an allegation without a piece of evidence.

He said, “The news agency made this grave allegation without a scintilla of evidence, citing only anonymous sources and the reported review of phantom ‘documents’. The agency claimed that its investigation was based on interviews with 33 women and girls, interview with 33 women and girls to arrive at the bogus claim of 10,000 abortions! And in a further indication that the figure of abortions quoted was arbitrary or possibly conjured, the agency first put the figure at 12,000 before settling for 10,000.

“The Federal Government hereby categorically states that there is no ‘secret, systematic and illegal abortion programme’ being run by our military in the Northeast or anywhere across the country. We also hereby reject the accusation of running an abortion programme levelled against our military. We state categorically that this story is a scary instance of fake news and disinformation combined. The writers deserve an award in fiction writing.”

The minister described the report as a ploy to demoralise and distract the military as well as cut Nigeria off the support the country was receiving in the fight against terrorism.

Maduka College Advert

“Is it a strategy to set the world against Nigeria and cut off the support that is critical to crushing terrorists? Only the news agency can answer these questions. But we stand by our military, which has served meritoriously at home and regional and global peacekeeping operations from 1960 to date,” he added.

Meanwhile, in another report published on Monday by Reuters, the organisation accused the Nigerian Army of carrying out a massacre of children during the ongoing war against terrorism.

The organisation said the report was based on the revelations of more than 40 soldiers and civilians who claimed to have witnessed the Nigerian military kill children or seen children’s corpses after a military operation.

According to the report, the estimates of children killed by the Army were in the thousands, adding that it investigated six of the incidents in which at least 60 died.

In the report, one of the victims claimed that her children were killed because they belonged to terrorists.

The report read, “The massacre, previously unreported, is just one instance in which the Nigerian Army and allied security forces have slaughtered children during their gruelling 13-year war against Islamist extremists in the country’s northeast, a Reuters investigation found.

“Soldiers and armed guards employed by the government told Reuters that Army commanders repeatedly ordered them to ‘delete’ children because the children were assumed to be collaborating with militants in Boko Haram or its Islamic State offshoot or to have inherited the tainted blood of insurgent fathers.

“More than 40 sources said they saw the Nigerian military target and kill children or saw the dead bodies of children after a military operation. These sources included both parents and other civilian witnesses, as well as soldiers who said they participated in dozens of military operations in which children were slaughtered.

Together, their estimates added up to thousands of children killed.”

News

Wanted banditry kingpin, Ado Aleru, attends fresh ‘peace talks’ with Katsina community residents

Published

on

Spread the love

Notorious wanted bandit kingpin, Ado Aleru, has once again surfaced publicly, attending fresh peace talks with residents of Kankara Local Government Area in Katsina State.

The meeting marks another round of dialogue between communities terrorised by banditry and the armed groups that have plagued Nigeria’s North-West region for years.

Aleru is a wanted criminal on Nigerian security forces’ list, with a ₦5 million bounty on his head. Despite this, he has repeatedly appeared at peace meetings across Katsina State.

During the latest meeting, Aleru reportedly explained why previous peace efforts failed to bring lasting peace. His appearance has raised serious questions about whether these agreements can actually work.

The peace talks come just days after Aleru suffered a major blow in a military encounter at Doma village, Katsina State. Reports indicate:· His son was killed along with eight other family members· About 30 motorcycles belonging to his network were destroyed· The losses have significantly weakened his criminal network’s strength and mobility.

Maduka College Advert

This is not Aleru’s first peace meeting. He previously attended talks in:· June 2025 – Danmusa LGA, Katsina State·

September 2025 – Faskari LGA, where he vowed to embrace peace·

October 2025 – Kakumi village, where a peace accord was signed

In September 2025, Aleru said he had previously withdrawn from peace efforts after his son was arrested, calling the arrest “unjust”.

Aleru’s participation in peace talks despite being wanted has sparked heated debate:Supporters of dialogue argue that negotiations can reduce attacks and help communities return to normal life.

Critics warn that agreements with armed groups often collapse, pointing to continued attacks linked to Aleru’s network even after previous peace deals.

Adding to the controversy, Aleru was previously given a traditional title in Zamfara State during the administration of former Governor Bello Matawalle, who is now Nigeria’s Minister of State for Defence.

Katsina State is one of several North-Western states hit hard by banditry, with killings, kidnappings, and displacement affecting countless communities. The fresh peace talks in Kankara show that some communities are still willing to negotiate – even with wanted kingpins like Ado Aleru.

Continue Reading

News

‘Tinubu has called me, congratulated me,’ Adeleke says after Osun Re-election Victory

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu gives Osun state governor Governor Adeleke a Handshake. Photo Credit: X @AAdeleke_01
Spread the love

•  Adeleke of the Accord Party, polled 511,067 votes to defeat APC’s Oyebamiji, who scored 444,815 votes

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has revealed that President Bola Tinubu called and congratulated him shortly after he was declared winner of the August 15 governorship election.

Adeleke made the disclosure while speaking to journalists on Sunday after the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) declared him winner of the election.

He thanked President Tinubu for congratulating him, saying the president had contributed to the sustenance of democracy.

“I feel great. First of all, I thank the God Almighty for what has happened today. It’s a victory for democracy in Nigeria,” And, of course, I want to seize the opportunity to thank Mr President. Mr President has called me, and he has congratulated me, and I thank you, Mr President, for making sure democracy lives on because you fought for it, Mr President,” the governor said.

President Tinubu and Governor Adeleke have maintained a pragmatic relationship despite belonging to rival political parties. Despite their political differences, both leaders have maintained a cordial relationship, with Adeleke making high-profile visits to Tinubu and the President engaging with the Osun governor.

Maduka College Advert

Victory for Osun people, Olive Branch

Speaking further, Adeleke said the result represented a victory for the people of Osun, who, according to him, had endorsed his administration’s performance in office.

“A victory for democracy. A victory for Osun people that stood by me and said, Imole, you have done a lot for us. You have given us the dividends of democracy in terms of infrastructure, improving our education, agriculture and so forth. So this is the Osun people saying, ‘Thank you, Mr Governor,’” he said.

The governor, who secured a second term after defeating his closest challenger, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress (APC), said his administration would focus on transforming Osun from a civil service-dependent state into an industrial hub.

“I will repay that thank you by making sure that I have a vision. My vision is to make sure that Osun State moves from a civil servant state to an industrial state. I will make sure, all across Osun State, development is on. I love you all, Osun State,” Adeleke said.

Adeleke also extended an olive branch to his opponents, describing the election as a contest without a victor or vanquished.

“Yes, this is no victor, no vanquished. I want them to come over. I’m expecting Oyebanji, even as a civilised person, to call me and congratulate me,” he said.

Asked whether he had ever feared that the election could go against him, Adeleke replied: “No. I have a God. I have a God who never fails.”

Continue Reading

News

Osun: When the people stand, democracy wins, says Obi, congratulates Adeleke

Published

on

Peter Obi donates ₦10 million to Nursing College
NDC presidential candidate, Peter Obi
Spread the love

The presidential candidate of the National Democratic Coalition (NDC), Peter Obi, has congratulated Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, on his re-election, describing the outcome of the governorship poll as a victory for democracy and the people.

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Sunday morning declared Adeleke of the Accord Party as the winner of the 2026 Osun State governorship election.

Announcing the final results, INEC Returning Officer, Prof. Joshua Ogunwole, the Vice- Chancellor of the Federal University, Oye-Ekiti declared Adeleke winner and returned him elected.

Ogunwole announced that the Accord Party candidate secured 511,067 while his closest challenger, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress (APC) recorded 444,815 votes.

Adeleke trounced his major opponent with 66,252 votes amid wild jubilation by party supporters and other residents.

Maduka College Advert

Reacting in a statement on his official X account, Obi said the people of Osun had spoken clearly through the ballot, while commending citizens, particularly youths, for defending their democratic mandate.

“I warmly congratulate Governor Ademola Adeleke on his re-election and the good people of Osun State on this important democratic victory,” Obi said.

“They, the people of Osun, have spoken with courage and clarity, reaffirming that the power to choose their leaders belongs to the people.

“Through his commitment to the people, compassion for their needs, and the strength of his work and achievements in office, Governor Ademola Adeleke has earned their renewed confidence and been entrusted once again with their mandate.

“I particularly commend the courageous youths of Osun who rose to the occasion and peacefully defended their democratic mandate.

“Their vigilance and determination demonstrate that when citizens stand firmly to protect their votes, the forces of good can overcome the forces of darkness.

“The lesson from Osun is clear: democracy is strongest when citizens are alert, conscious of their civic responsibility, and determined to ensure that their votes count.

“Every genuine vote must be respected, and every lawful mandate must be protected. This is also a clarion call as we approach 2027. Nigerians must remain informed, participate actively, vote, and protect their votes.

“The Nigerian people are the ones experiencing hunger, deprivation, insecurity, and hardship; therefore, they are also the ones with the power, through their votes, to bring about the change that will end these conditions.

“I urge all political actors to place the interests of the people above partisan considerations and to embrace peace, unity, and the rule of law.”

Obi warned that elections should never be battles of violence, but contests of ideas, competence, character, and service.

“May the Osun experience strengthen our confidence in the democratic process and inspire Nigerians everywhere to remain vigilant and committed to building a just, secure, prosperous, and truly people-centred nation. A New Nigeria is possible,” the former Governor of Anambra State added.

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert