Connect with us

News

Terrorism: Kogi demands probe of PDP senatorial candidate

Published

on

Spread the love

The Kogi State Government has called on heads of security agencies in Nigeria to invite a Senatorial candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in the state, Mrs Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, for questioning over alleged terrorism-related activities capable of dragging the state back to “the dark era.”

The state government said despite heavy security interventions by the present administration to rid the state of terrorism, it was worried that politicians had deliberately continued to groom terrorists in the state as well as import them from neighbouring states.

In a statement by the state Commissioner for Information and Communications, Kingsley Fanwo, in Lokoja Monday morning, the state government alleged that Mrs Akpoti-Uduaghan had exhibited enough actions to be invited over terrorism-related activities, especially with the manner by which the PDP and organisations linked to Akpoti-Uduaghan had been advocating for the release of an arrested terrorist called Safiu.

“It is worrisome for the PDP that Natasha represents to come out openly to identify with Safiu, a terror suspect that is linked to the bloody attack on a church in Owo that led to the death of scores of worshippers. He is also linked to the dastardly attack on the Kuje Correctional Centre as well as military formations within and outside of Kogi State.

“It was a thing of relief to the people of Kogi Central that security agencies were able to apprehend their Chief Tormentor. Criminality doesn’t know political party. A criminal is a criminal and should be treated as such,” Fanwo said.

Maduka College Advert

He noted, “Prior to 2016, the Kogi Central Senatorial District was a terrorist den, with dangerous terrorist organisations having cells in the district and hundreds were maimed, many in broad daylight. The government will not allow a continuation of the old order.

“The fact that they (PDP) claimed Safiu was their party member is an admission of strong links to him and his nefarious and deadly activities. As an administration, we are witnessing a surge in criminality in Kogi Central.

Available data shows that Kogi Central today accounts for 51.2% of the total crime rate in Kogi State. With the billions of naira we have invested in strengthening our security architecture that has guaranteed peace in the state, we will not accept a revert into the days of bloodbaths.

“The Kogi State Government will not allow a marriage between terrorism and politics. Nigeria is doing everything possible now to win the battle against terrorism. Kogi State under Governor Yahaya Bello has won many awards in the area of security, the most recent being the one presented by the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, in recognition of how the administration has turned one of the most dangerous states in Nigeria to one of the safest states today.

“We call on security agencies to arrest defenders of terrorists and ask them their levels of involvement. No matter how smart they think they are, they cannot beat our robust security architecture.”

The Kogi Government assured the people of the state of its continued commitment to securing their lives and property.

“Security agencies are doing a great job in Kogi State and we commend them for that. To get to the root of the last vestiges of terrorism in Kogi Central, there is a need to invite Natasha Uduaghan and her husband as well as the PDP party leaders in Kogi Central to explain the rationale behind their vociferous defence of an arrested terrorist,” the statement said.

“Do they have a contract with some terrorist groups to distabilise the state? Are they afraid that Safiu and other arrested terrorists will expose their dirty and bloody deals? What do they know about some terror cells in Kogi Central? They need to provide answers,” the statement added.

However, the spokesman for Akpoti-Uduaghan, Alhaji Muktar Atimah, when contacted said it was laughable that a government who claimed to be above the security situations in the state, collecting award from left right and centre, would start to be afraid on an individual.

“It’s not out of place for Natasha as a mother to ask for the release of her constituent. It shows how caring she is as a mother who understands what motherhood entails. How that becomes an act of terrorism is what is left for the state government to explain to the public” Atimah said.

News

Edo Assembly Speaker Blessing Agbebaku resigns

Published

on

Edo ex-Speaker Blessing Agbebaku
Spread the love

The Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Blessing Agbebaku, has reportedly stepped down from his position.

His resignation came as reports emerged that some lawmakers were working on plans to impeach him from the speakership.

Agbebaku became Speaker of the 8th Edo State House of Assembly in June 2023 after lawmakers elected him to lead the chamber.

The former Speaker was originally
elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

However, he later moved to the All Progressives Congress (APC) in 2025, joining other political figures who changed parties as political alignments in Edo continued to change.

Maduka College Advert

His reported resignation comes as political activities begin to build ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The development is likely to lead to new discussions among lawmakers and political leaders over who will take over the leadership of the Assembly.

The resignation could also affect the balance of power within the House, especially as lawmakers consider the next person to lead the chamber.

Members of the Assembly are expected to meet and take the necessary steps toward filling the vacant Speaker position.

The reason behind Agbebaku’s decision to leave office has not been made public.

It is also not yet clear whether his resignation is connected to recent political developments within the state or other issues involving the Assembly.

More information is expected to emerge as lawmakers react to the development and begin discussions on the next leadership of the Edo State House of Assembly.

Continue Reading

News

Sheikh Jingir: Christianity not subordinate to any religion in Nigeria — Pastor Enenche

Published

on

Pastor Dr. Paul Enenche
Spread the love

• Says security agencies must act against provocative religious remarks

Senior Pastor of Dunamis International Gospel Centre, Pastor Paul Enenche, has declared that Christianity is not subordinate to any religion in Nigeria, while condemning comments linked to Islamic cleric Sheikh Yahya Jingir.

Speaking during the church’s Sunday service at its headquarters in Abuja, Enenche reacted strongly to the controversy generated by Jingir’s recent remarks, insisting that Christians could not be regarded as inferior to adherents of any other faith in the country.

The cleric described the suggestion that Christianity was secondary to another religion as unacceptable, arguing that Christians are present in large numbers across every part of Nigeria.

Enenche also warned against taking the Christian community for granted, maintaining that the church remains a significant force in the nation.

He criticised security agencies for failing to invite Islamic cleric, Sheikh Muhammad Jingir, over his recent comments advocating a Muslim-Muslim political arrangement in Nigeria.

Maduka College Advert

According to Enenche, security agencies should have acted against statements capable of provoking religious tension and violence in the country.

The pastor described as unacceptable the suggestion that Christianity should be regarded as subordinate to any other religion in Nigeria, insisting that Christians constitute a significant part of the country’s population.

He said, “Christianity is not secondary, and no group of religious fanatics will ever make it secondary. Not you, not any political group of people will ever make Christianity secondary to any.”

Enenche also questioned why security agencies had not invited the cleric for questioning over his comments, arguing that allowing individuals to make what he described as reckless statements without consequence could threaten national peace.

He said, “I blame security forces for allowing people to make reckless statements. You allow them still moving on the road, allow them still moving, not knowing that such a statement can incite instant violence.”

The pastor added that authorities should have taken steps to establish whether the comments could incite violence, rather than allowing the speaker to continue making such statements publicly.

“People are messing up and destroying the nation; they are walking free of charge, and they are talking,” he said.

Enenche further warned against taking the Christian community for granted, saying Christians had remained calm despite what he described as provocative statements.

“Nobody should take the church in this nation for granted. Don’t take the church for granted,” he said.

His comments followed controversy generated by the Chairman of the Ulama Council of Jama’atu Izalatil Bid’ah Wa’ikamatis Sunnah, Sheikh Muhammad Jingir, who recently advocated the continued adoption of a Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket.

Jingir had, at a special wedding reception organised by the Kano State Government for 1,500 couples whose weddings it sponsored, urged Muslims to vote in a manner that would demonstrate their numerical strength.

Amid reactions to his comments, Jingir told the BBC that he had no regret over his advocacy for a Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket, stressing that he had held the position long before the administration of President Bola Tinubu.

The comments have attracted reactions from various quarters, including the National Coordinator of the Obidient Movement Worldwide, Yunusa Tanko, and Nigeria’s Ambassador-designate to South Africa, Femi Fani-Kayode.

Continue Reading

News

Wanted banditry kingpin, Ado Aleru, attends fresh ‘peace talks’ with Katsina community residents

Published

on

Spread the love

Notorious wanted bandit kingpin, Ado Aleru, has once again surfaced publicly, attending fresh peace talks with residents of Kankara Local Government Area in Katsina State.

The meeting marks another round of dialogue between communities terrorised by banditry and the armed groups that have plagued Nigeria’s North-West region for years.

Aleru is a wanted criminal on Nigerian security forces’ list, with a ₦5 million bounty on his head. Despite this, he has repeatedly appeared at peace meetings across Katsina State.

During the latest meeting, Aleru reportedly explained why previous peace efforts failed to bring lasting peace. His appearance has raised serious questions about whether these agreements can actually work.

The peace talks come just days after Aleru suffered a major blow in a military encounter at Doma village, Katsina State. Reports indicate:· His son was killed along with eight other family members· About 30 motorcycles belonging to his network were destroyed· The losses have significantly weakened his criminal network’s strength and mobility.

Maduka College Advert

This is not Aleru’s first peace meeting. He previously attended talks in:· June 2025 – Danmusa LGA, Katsina State·

September 2025 – Faskari LGA, where he vowed to embrace peace·

October 2025 – Kakumi village, where a peace accord was signed

In September 2025, Aleru said he had previously withdrawn from peace efforts after his son was arrested, calling the arrest “unjust”.

Aleru’s participation in peace talks despite being wanted has sparked heated debate:Supporters of dialogue argue that negotiations can reduce attacks and help communities return to normal life.

Critics warn that agreements with armed groups often collapse, pointing to continued attacks linked to Aleru’s network even after previous peace deals.

Adding to the controversy, Aleru was previously given a traditional title in Zamfara State during the administration of former Governor Bello Matawalle, who is now Nigeria’s Minister of State for Defence.

Katsina State is one of several North-Western states hit hard by banditry, with killings, kidnappings, and displacement affecting countless communities. The fresh peace talks in Kankara show that some communities are still willing to negotiate – even with wanted kingpins like Ado Aleru.

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert