Connect with us

News

Tinubu jets out to London for medical attention three days to kick-start campaign

Published

on

Spread the love
  • Inauguration of 422-member presidential campaign council moved from Monday to Wednesday

The Presidential candidate and National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Tinubu has left Nigeria to see his doctors in London, United Kingdom, SaharaReporters has gathered.

This comes a few days before the commencement of political campaign activities ahead of the presidential election scheduled to hold on February 25, 2023.

According to multiple sources, Tinubu left Nigeria at midnight on Saturday for London.

The former governor is expected to see his doctors at a Central London Clinic today (Monday).

“Our principal, Tinubu is sick and tired. He is expected to see his doctors in London today at a Central London Clinic,” a source told the online newspaper.

“He left Nigeria 12 midnight on Saturday. He ought to have launched the Presidential Campaign Council today but it was postponed till Wednesday for President Muhammadu Buhari to return from the US. However, it has now been postponed indefinitely.

Maduka College Advert

“There is mass disaffection within the party currently.”

Meanwhile, APC has postponed the inauguration of its 422- member presidential campaign council (PCC) earlier scheduled for Monday to Wednesday.

The list of the Presidential Campaign Council was released on Friday.

According to Bayo Onanuga, spokesperson for the council, members are also expected to participate in a “special prayer session” to usher in the presidential election campaign.

But sources told SaharaReporters that the inauguration would not hold on Wednesday with the latest developments.

In 2021 alone, Tinubu spent over 80 days patronising hospitals in France, the United States and the UK where he underwent surgeries amid the poorly equipped hospitals in Nigeria led by the APC government.

He was flown out of the country some days before Christmas in 2020 to Paris, France.

There were speculations that he tested positive for COVID-19 but his media aide later denied such reports.

The APC leader returned to Nigeria on January 24, 2021, after an absence of about one month from Nigeria.

He then went for a medical check-up on Thursday, June 10, 2021, to France and was conspicuously absent from the one-day working visit of President Muhammadu Buhari to Lagos State.

“Tinubu is in Paris, France for a medical checkup. His health is deteriorating due to old age,” a top source had told SaharaReporters.

Tinubu, amid death rumours, was forced to return to the country on Tuesday, June 15, 2021.

SaharaReporters also reported that Tinubu was hospitalised in Maryland, the United States in July 2021 where he had knee surgery.

“Tinubu is hospitalised in Maryland, US. His health is failing. He couldn’t participate in launching his Arewa library, and he couldn’t participate in the Local Government Area elections last week. He could not attend today’s APC congress due to health reasons.

“He had surgery last week,” an authoritative source had disclosed at the time.

On August 9, 2021, Tinubu had another knee surgery at the John Hopkins University Hospital in Maryland, United States.

The APC chieftain, it was learnt, left the US for the United Kingdom on crutches, a few days after the surgery.

Sources close to Tinubu had told SaharaReporters that he wanted the surgery in Paris, France but changed his plan over rumours of his death.

“Tinubu had his second surgery at John Hopkins University in Maryland recently. He was accompanied by a popular Nigerian doctor in Chicago. He had wanted the surgery in Paris but when rumour was rife about his death, he hurriedly left for Nigeria and went to John Hopkins,” one of the sources had said.

“He left the US for the UK on crutches,” another source had revealed.

In 2021, the President paid a visit to Tinubu in London and the latter was seen with a walking stick during Buhari’s visit, confirming earlier report that he underwent a second surgery in the United States.

A few weeks after winning the APC ticket, the former governor was in Paris, France to attend to his medical needs.

Tinubu currently toes the path of President Buhari, who himself has spent hundreds of days on medical leave in the United Kingdom since he assumed office in 2015. (SaharaReporters)

News

I regret trusting my community elders,’ says Cubana Chief Priest after primary election defeat

Published

on

Cubana Chief Priest reads City Boys manifesto booklet during a meeting
Spread the love

Pascal Okechukwu, popularly known as Cubana Chief Priest, has reacted to his defeat in the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for the Orsu/Orlu/Oru East Federal Constituency seat in Imo State.

The celebrity businessman, who serves as the Imo State Coordinator of the City Boys Movement, had sought the APC ticket to contest for a seat in the House of Representatives.

Reacting after the outcome of the primary election in a viral video, Cubana Chief Priest said he had no regrets contesting for the position. Still, he expressed disappointment over what he described as misplaced trust in community elders.

“I’m a hustler, and I didn’t regret trying to contest for a position. My only regret was trusting the elders in the community. I know how much I gave them, but only 14 people voted for me in the primary,” he said.

Cubana Chief Priest had announced his political ambition earlier this year, advocating for what he described as cleaner and issue-based political participation driven by young Nigerians.

Following his defeat, reactions trailed the outcome on social media, with some users mocking the businessman and suggesting he may have underestimated the dynamics of Nigerian politics.

Maduka College Advert

However, Ossai Ovie Success defended him against online criticism.

“Why are people mocking Cubana Chief Priest? Not nice… it’s ok to try and try again,” he wrote on Facebook.

“He lost an election and so what? I am disappointed,” he added.

Continue Reading

News

Peter Obi mourns 17 police officers killed in Yobe deadly terror ambush

Published

on

Peter Obi condemns deportation of Osun indigenes by Lagos gov't
Peter Obi
Spread the love

Former Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has expressed deep sorrow over the killing of security personnel during a recent terrorist attack on a military school in Yobe State, describing the deaths as a painful national tragedy.

In a statement issued on Saturday, Obi extended condolences to the leadership of the Nigerian Armed Forces and the Police following the reported death of 17 police officers and an unspecified number of soldiers during the attack.

“I extend my sincerest condolences to the High Command and Leadership of the Nigerian Military and the Police over the tragic loss of our courageous officers,” Obi said.

“It is with deep sadness that I acknowledge the heartbreaking death of 17 brave police officers, alongside an unspecified number of soldiers, who made the ultimate sacrifice during the recent terrorist attack on a military school in Yobe State.”

The former Anambra State governor said the nation must stand in solidarity with the military, police authorities, and the families of the slain officers.

“At this moment of profound sorrow, the entire nation stands in solidarity with the leadership of the Armed Forces, the Police, the affected commands, and the wider security community,” he stated.

Maduka College Advert

Obi stressed that the continuous loss of security personnel and innocent civilians should not be treated as routine, warning that insecurity must be confronted with urgency and sincerity.

“Every security personnel killed is a tragedy to our nation. Every fallen officer represents a family thrown into grief, children left without parents, and communities robbed of those sworn to protect them,” he said.

He called on the Federal Government to prioritise the welfare of families of fallen officers through adequate compensation and long-term support.

“The Federal Government must ensure adequate compensation, support, and long-term welfare for the families of all those who paid the supreme price in service to our nation,” Obi added.

The Labour Party chieftain further urged authorities to adopt decisive and strategic measures to tackle insecurity across the country.

“A nation cannot continue to normalise the killing of its security personnel and innocent citizens without urgent, decisive, and strategic action. We must confront insecurity with sincerity, professionalism, and the political will necessary to protect lives and restore public confidence,” he stated.

Obi also sympathised with the bereaved families, assuring them that the sacrifices of the slain officers would not be forgotten.

“To the families of the fallen heroes, I offer my deepest and most heartfelt sympathies. We mourn with you, and we honour the courage and sacrifice of your loved ones. May their souls rest in eternal peace,” he said.

Continue Reading

News

Enugu 2027: Civil society group kicks against Nnaji clearance

Published

on

PDP rejects Edo election results in three LGAs
Spread the love

A Civil society organization, The Defence for Democracy, has criticized the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) for clearing former minister of Science and Technology, Uche Geoffrey Nnaji, to contest the primaries for the forthcoming governorship elections in Enugu State despite being under investigation over alleged forged credentials.

Nnaji resigned from President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s cabinet over allegations of forgery and is currently being investigated by relevant authorities.

In a statement issued by the National President of the organisation Dr. Emeka Nwachukwu, and made available to journalists, the organisation questioned the integrity of the entire screening and accused the party of working in favour of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

The organisation said the APC will have sufficient grounds to fast-track accelerated hearing of the forgery case and eventually upturn any victory in the name of the former minister should he win.

The group stressed that “leadership must be built on trust, integrity, and credibility. The people of Enugu State deserve leaders whose records can withstand public scrutiny without fear or controversy.”

The organisation emphasized that while the allegations are not yet proven before a competent court of law, the PDP has a moral responsibility to raise the red flag on the former minister, “Because we are all in this country, and we know that in an event that this former minister wins, there will be an accelerated hearing that will hand over that victory to the APC.

Maduka College Advert

“We believe firmly that Enugu deserves honest leadership, grassroots connection, and a leader who understands the pains of the people, and there are many such people.

“From our findings there are people who represent a great future, and as an organization, we stand for good governance, and when our findings throw up people of impeccable character, we naturally step in to ensure that they excel.

“We therefore find it strange that people can move from controversy to ambition without addressing the questions hanging over their names.”

The organisation called on the aspirant to immediately clear his name before throwing himself into the race, stressing that the allegations and public reports surrounding his academic credentials are too weighty to be ignored.

The organisation called on the National Secretariat of the PDP to immediately intervene and save the party the embarrassment, stressing that “We are watching events in Enugu and other parts of the country, and we would have issued this statement to congratulate the Enugu state chapter of the party if it screened out the former minister, because there is a moral burden there which is far beyond what the courts might eventually pronounce.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert