Connect with us

News

‘Osibanjo opted out of APC Campaign Council because of Muslim-Muslim Ticket’

Published

on

Daniel Bwala, spokesperson of the Atiku Abubakar presidential campaign, says he salutes Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo and Boss Mustapha, secretary to the government of the federation (SGF), for “rejecting” the Muslim-Muslim ticket of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Bwala’s comment is in reaction to the exclusion of Osinbajo and Mustapha from the APC presidential campaign council.

The names of Osinbajo and Mustapha were left out of the 422-member list published last week raising concern among the APC members and Nigerians.

Reacting via a post on his Twitter page on Saturday, Bwala alleged that the duo asked to be exempted from the campaign council.

“We salute the courage of Professor Osinbajo and Boss Mustapha for rejecting the MM ticket by asking to be left out of the campaign council of APC. Say no to religious politics. Nigerians would decide at the polls,” he tweeted.

Following Bwala’s tweet, Festus Keyamo, spokesperson of the Tinubu campaign council, released a statement to clarify the situation.

Keyamo said President Muhammadu Buhari requested the vice president’s exclusion to allow him “concentrate on governance of the country and administration of government”.

“Our attention has been drawn to some stories making the rounds that there may be something amiss within the family of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as the name of our own revered and respected Vice-President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, GCON, is not included in the list of the Tinubu/Shettima Presidential Campaign Council,” he said.

“As a responsible party and government, all the key functionaries of government cannot abandon their positions for electioneering campaigns. The APC has the mandate of the Nigerian people to administer the country on their behalf at least till May 29, 2023, and this we intend to do with all sense of responsibility.”

SEE ALSO:  Sit-at-home: Enugu police operatives intercept gunmen, recover arm, petrol bombs

Advertisements
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Eid-el-Maulud: Gov. Mbah calls for religious harmony, patriotism, support for gov’t

Published

on

Enugu State Governor, Dr. Peter Mbah

Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State has called on Nigerians to learn to coexist peacefully regardless of their religious beliefs, adding that doing so would promote peace and accelerate the country’s development.

In an Eid-el-Maulud message issued by his Senior Special Assistant on Media, Dan Nwomeh, Governor Mbah expressed his congratulations to the Muslim community in the state, Nigeria, and throughout the world as they celebrate the birth of Prophet Muhammad.

Mbah urged the Muslim Ummah to always exhibit the same humility, empathy, and sympathy for the poor and needy as exhibited by Prophet Muhammad, and to not let the lessons of Eid-el-Mualud slip their minds.

He urged the populace to embrace the spirit of patriotism by assisting government initiatives both locally and nationally.

“As we celebrate the birth of the Holy Prophet Muhammad, let me implore our people to take inspiration from his life and practise the virtues of peace, humility, selfless sacrifice, devotion, love of neighbours, and support for the government at all levels.

“In a time like this in the history of our nation, there is much we can learn from the Prophet’s life that will act as a catalyst for nation-building and national growth. We owe it to ourselves to always uphold the law.

“As a state, we will continue to defend our people and residents, guarantee that they live in a safe environment, and make the ultimate sacrifice of escorting whatever unlawful activity there may be out of the state. We are wasting no time in providing the necessary amenities for our people to enjoy decent standard of living, “he said.

SEE ALSO:  Delta monarch beheaded over oil money sharing formula

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Murder of Oruku Traditional Ruler: Enugu court remands Police Inspector Dennis, Moses Nnamani

Published

on

• In the dock: Police Inspector Daniel Dennis and Moses Nnamani at Enugu Magistrate Court on Tuesday
An Enugu State Magistrate Court sitting in Enugu North, on Tuesday, remanded 46-year-old Inspector Daniel Dennis and one Mr Moses Nnamani for allegedly killing Igwe Emmanuel Chidiebere Mbah, the traditional ruler of Oruku community in Nkanu East local government area of Enugu State.

The Advocate reports that the arraignment of the 46-year-old police officer and Nnamani, a 57-year-old native of Oruku, came 2 years and 8 months after the gruesome murder of the monarch, who was committed to the restoration of peace in Oruku, a hitherto peaceful community that had been devastated by endless communal feud.

Several lives and property worth millions of naira had been lost on account of the senseless conflict while the community has long been deserted by the natives.

It was learnt that the Nigeria Police Force on September 14, this year,  finally released the police Inspector who allegedly shot and killed the traditional ruler and one of his collaborators, who led the police team to the scene of the incident, for trial.

The younger brother of the late traditional ruler, Mr Ejike Mbah, had on Monday, September 11, 2023 petitioned the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation, Lateef Fagbemi, SAN, asking him to intervene and ensure the prosecution of the Police Inspector  and his collaborators.

The traditional ruler was allegedly shot and killed on December 26, 2020, by Inspector Dennis who was attached to the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) unit of the police, while he was addressing an annual general meeting of his community.

SEE ALSO:  EFCC working against Ekweremadu, Ohanaeze youths allege

On Tuesday, the Enugu State Police Command arraigned the duo on two counts bordering on conspiracy and murder in a suit numbered CME/673c/2023

The presiding Magistrate, (Mrs) Ngozi Edeani, subsequently remanded the duo at the Enugu Maximum Correctional Custodial Centre after the charges were read to them because the court had no jurisdiction on the matter.

The two-count charge obtained by The Advocate reads: “That you Moses Nnamani ‘m’, Daniel Dennis ‘m’, others now in Correctional Centre, Enugu in Charge No. CME/100C/2022 and CME/158C/2022-C.O.P vs. Emmanuel Nwobodo and others now at large on the 26th day of December 2020 at about 1400hours at Oruku Community in Nkanu East Magisterial District holden in Enugu did conspire among yourselves to commit felony to wit: Murder and thereby committed an offence punishable under Section 494 of the Criminal Code, Cap 30, Vol. II, Revised Laws of Enugu State of Nigeria 2004.

“That you Moses Nnamani ‘m’, Daniel Dennis ‘m’, others now in Correctional Centre, Enugu in Charge No. CME/100C/2022 and CME/158C/2022- C.O.P vs. Emmanuel Nwobodo and others now at large on the same date, time and place in the aforementioned Magisterial District did unlawfully kill the Traditional Ruler of Oruku Community, HRH Igwe Emmanuel Chidiebere Mbah ‘m’ by shooting him with a gun which led to his death and thereby committed an offence punishable under Section 274(1) of the Criminal Code, Cap 30, Vol. II, Revised Laws of Enugu State of Nigeria 2004.”

Meanwhile, the court adjourned to October 18, 2023, to get the opinion of the Director of Public Prosecutions.

SEE ALSO:  Why we can’t arrest Tinubu over forgery allegation – IGP

The Charge sheet:

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

How Gateman plotted kidnap of master’s mother in-law, Nanny, Baby in Enugu – Police

Published

on

• Suspects paraded by Enugu State Police Command on Tuesday
• Twelve kidnap victims rescued
The police in Enugu on Tuesday revealed how one Kelechi Okwara aged 27, from Ohafia, Abia State, allegedly conspired with his brother serving as a gateman and kidnapped his master’s mother in-law, his nanny and little baby.
The incident occurred in Enugu last Saturday, September 23,2023, according to the State Police Commissioner, CP Kanayo Uzuegbu.
The gateman who is now at large was working in a house in Trans-Ekulu Enugu when they plotted the kidnap.
Kelechi and his gateman brother had taken the victims to an unknown destination, on 23/09/2023 at about 8pm, demanded and obtained a ransom of N3 million from the said master.
They were said to have used the proceed to buy a red coloured Toyota Corolla car, which was recovered upon his arrest last Sunday 24/09/2023 at about 6.30pm at Nokpa/Ezimma Nike boundary point, by Police Operatives in Abakpa and Trans-Ekulu Police Divisions, with assistance from Neighbourhood Watch Group.

Kelechi was among 92 suspected criminals arrested between August 16 and September 25 and paraded Tuesday by the Enugu State Police Command.

The suspects were arrested for cultism, robbery, murder, kidnapping and unlawful possession of firearms.

Items recovered from them included four AK 47 rifles, 66 other firearms of different calibres, 333 live ammunition of different calibres, 25 vehicles and several other incriminating items such as charms and phones.

Addressing his maiden press conference as the 28th commissioner of police in Enugu, the CP, Kanayo Uzuegbu, disclosed that  12 kidnapped victims were also rescued from various parts of the state within the period under review.
Uzuegbu, who said the task of effectively policing the society is daily becoming daunting, however said he had since assumption of duty, ensured that the right policing strategies are devised to tackle existing and emerging security challenges in the State.

“These strategies are subsumed in my grassroots-driven, proactive, people-oriented and problem-solving policing thrust, which is in line with the policing Vision and Mission of the Acting Inspector-General of Police, IGP Kayode Adeolu Egbetokun, PhD, NPM.

SEE ALSO:  Delta monarch beheaded over oil money sharing formula

“In view of this, I have met and interacted with critical security stakeholders, including local government chairmen, traditional rulers, heads of other security agencies and many others, on the best ways to collectively tackle security challenges in the State. These engagements I must tell you have started paying off, as we are making remarkable progress in tackling violent crimes of kidnapping, armed robbery and the criminal activities of subversive criminals.

“It is a known fact that it is humanly impossible to totally eliminate crimes in human society. However, I want to assure the good people of Enugu State and visitors that we remain committed to ensuring that maximum security and tranquility are maintained in the State”.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Trending