
News
Musa takes over as new GOC 82 Division, urges troops to redouble efforts
Maj.-Gen. Umar Musa has taken over as General Officer Commanding (GOC) of 82 Division of the Nigerian Army, while urging troops to redouble efforts for more hard work.
Taking over from the out gone GOC of the Division, Maj.-Gen. Taoreed Lagbaja on Friday in Enugu, Musa said that he would continue with the success strides of the out gone GOC.
According to him, I will build on the success trajectory already established by Maj.-Gen. Lagbaja, who is now the GOC of 1 Division, Kaduna.
“We will restrategise and beef up security; while increase the tempo so that we can surpass what Lagbaja had achieved here.
“I will work with the commanders and seek their cooperation to see that all security threats are surmounted in the Division’s Area of Responsibility (AOR),” he said.

Musa thanked the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Faruk Yahaya, for the confidence repose on him to be redeployed as the GOC of 82 Division after serving as the GOC of 81 Division, Lagos.
He said: “I appreciate the out gone GOC, Maj.-Gen. Lagbaja for the innovations and successes he recorded while serving as the GOC.
“I want to thank the troops for their sacrifice and dedication but I must say that we have more work to do to stabilise the security of the Division’s AOR and deal with criminal elements”.
Earlier, Lagbaja commended the principal officers, commanders, senior officers, officers and soldiers of the Division for their unflinching support during his 17 months sojourn as the GOC of the Division.
He said that the troops of the Division had been exemplary and professional in dealing with issues of unknown gunmen, criminal elements and secessionist groups with the Division’s AOR.
“I must laud your gallantry and commitment to ensure that the South-East and other parts of the Division’s AOR remained secured.
“I charge you all to extend the same cooperation and hard work to the new GOC for him to succeed as well,” he said.
Lagbaja thanked the friends of the Division and the media for their goodwill and support to the Division.
Highlights of the event included decoration of the new GOC with the Division’s signal, handing over of the Division’s flag to the new GOC and a group photograph.
News
1,844 killed in South-East in two years — Amnesty International reports
…Demands probe into alleged rights abuse
Amnesty International has re-launched two reports documenting alleged human rights violations in the South-East and called on governments and security agencies to end impunity, unlawful abductions, torture and killings.
The reports, “A Decade of Impunity: Attacks and Unlawful Killings in South-East Nigeria” and “Tiger Base of Atrocities: Human Rights Violations by Nigeria Police Anti-Kidnapping Unit in Owerri,” were unveiled in Umuahia on Wednesday.
Benedicta Ofili, Finance and Office Manager at Amnesty International Nigeria, said the organisation documented at least 1,844 deaths between 2021 and mid-2023 involving non-state armed groups, state-backed outfits and security operations.
Ofili also highlighted allegations of arbitrary detention, enforced disappearances, extortion and deaths in custody, particularly at the Anti-Kidnapping Unit popularly known as Tiger Base in Imo State.
She said Amnesty interviewed 23 former detainees, including 14 women, and recorded cases of torture and poor detention conditions.

Three of those interviewed reportedly died after detention.
The organisation said insecurity has caused displacement, disruption of education, loss of livelihoods and restrictions on movement due to sit-at-home orders.
Amnesty demanded independent investigations, prosecution of perpetrators, reparations for victims, and stronger accountability by state and federal authorities.
The presentation was followed by emotional testimonies from tearful relatives of persons allegedly abducted by security operatives as they chorused, “we don’t know where they are.”
Miriam Onyema, weeping, said her husband, Kingsley Chinedu, was arrested on April 25, 2021, at Hospital Junction, Imo State, and labelled an IPOB member. She said all efforts to locate him failed.
Esther Chinedu told the gathering that her husband, Pastor Godspower Chinedu, was arrested in 2022 and has not been seen since despite repeated searches at police detention facilities.
Caroline Chukwuma said her husband, Chukwuma Nwokike, was allegedly abducted in 2021 at St. Paul Junction, Aba, and detained at CPS Aba. She said lawyers were denied access before he was allegedly transferred to Abuja.
Chinwendu Chidiebere said her husband, Chidiebere Ekwe, was arrested at his workshop in Aba on June 22, 2021, and taken to CPS Aba where the family was denied access.
Nicolas Ejekwu, an elderly man, tearfully recounted how soldiers arrested his sons, Obinna and Onyebuchi, at home. He said he was later told they were tortured and killed, with their bodies deposited at FMC Umuahia mortuary.
He added that over 50 bodies of youths allegedly killed by security agencies on suspicion of IPOB membership were found at the mortuary.
Cecilia Nmaoche said her son, Christian Ifeanyi, was allegedly abducted in 2022 and has not been seen or heard from since.
The families appealed to Amnesty and the government to help locate their loved ones and ensure those arrested are charged to court instead of being detained indefinitely.
The Attorney General of Abia, represented by Chinenye Onyemanonu, said the state has zero tolerance for abuses and forwards complaints to the Citizens’ Rights Department.
He cited a case where a family detained for six months was rescued.
Human rights activist Samuel Agwu urged rights groups to ensure victims get justice and legal representation, calling for an end to what he described as a culture of impunity in the region. (Arise News)
News
Tinubu unveils APC presidential campaign council, appoints self as chairman
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has released a list of members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council.
The list was released in a statement by Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President (Information and Strategy), on Saturday.
He noted that members of the APC Presidential Campaign Council (has been) constituted; Abdulaziz Yari to serve as DG, Uzodimma secretary President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima will serve as chairman and vice chairman, respectively.
APC National Secretary, Ajibola Bashiru, and Hadiza Bala-Usman will serve as Deputy Secretary and Assistant Secretary respectively.
According to the statement, “The Chairman of the Campaign Council, President Tinubu, will work with a body of advisers comprising Chief Bisi Akande, Chief Segun Osoba, Senator Rochas Okorocha, Senator Abdullahi Adamu, and Senator Florence Ita Giwa.’
The statement further read: “Senate President Godswill Akpabio, Speaker Tajudeen Abbas, and Governor Mai Mala Buni of Yobe State have been assigned as Deputy Directors-General for the campaign in the South and the North. They will work with Senator Bamidele Opeyemi and Senator Jibril Barau in the two zones.
“Senator Adams Oshiomhole will serve as Deputy Director-General in charge of mobilisation, while the President’s Chief of Staff will serve as Deputy Director-General for Administration.
“James Abiodun Faleke, who played a pivotal role in the 2022/2023 campaign, has returned as Deputy Director-General for Election Planning, Coordination and Monitoring.

“Faleke will work with zonal directors, with Senator Olushola Adeyeye in the South-West, Dr Ngozi Olejeme in the South-South, Senator Uche Ekwunife in the South-East, Muntaqha Rabe in the North-West, Ahmed Muhammed Ketso in the North-Central, and Senator Sani Danladi in the North-East.
“Ms Stella Okotete, Engineer Abdullahi Garba Ramat and Audu Maikori will serve as Secretaries of the Election Planning Directorate.
“Muiz Adeyemi Banire will lead the Legal Directorate as Director, with Dr Liman Hassan and Babatunde Ogala as deputies. Other members are Prince Lateef Fagbemi, former Governor Ibrahim Shema, Worgu Boms and Dr Kingsley Tochukwu Udeh.
“The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris Malagi, will serve as the Coordinating Director for Media and Strategic Communication, along with Dele Alake, Bayo Onanuga, and Lanre Issa-Onilu.
“The Media Directorate also includes Tunde Rahman, Sunday Dare, Daniel Bwala, and Felix Morka, who have been assigned as Coordinating Deputy Directors.
“As we march into the campaign season, we have many achievements to trumpet—let us confidently showcase our record and inspire hope in every corner of our nation. Let us soundly defeat all those forces who plan to take our country backwards.”
News
APC Chairman slumps, dies during reconciliation meeting in Kogi
The All Progressives Congress (APC) in the Ijumu Local Government Area of Kogi State was thrown into deep mourning on Friday following the sudden death of its local government chairman, Oyewole Mayowa Solomon.
Solomon reportedly slumped during a peace and reconciliation meeting held at the Iyara Town Hall, the administrative headquarters of the local government area.
According to participants, the meeting was in progress when the late party leader suddenly collapsed, causing instant confusion, panic, and devastation among the political leaders and delegates in attendance.
Efforts were made immediately to resuscitate him before he was rushed to a medical facility in neighboring Kabba.
Unfortunately, he was pronounced dead shortly after his arrival at the hospital.

Reports said the peace meeting was convened by Funsho Olumoko, a former chairman of the Ijumu Local Government Area who was recently tasked by the Ijumu Consultative Forum to harmonize political interests within the region.
The session aimed to reconcile factions, resolve internal disputes, and foster unity among stakeholders ahead of future political engagements.
The peace initiative followed an earlier meeting in Iyara where APC stakeholders endorsed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Kogi State Governor Ahmed Usman Ododo for second terms.
However, the previous initiative had experienced visible friction over local government leadership, culminating in a walkout by the deceased and several top government functionaries.
Friday’s follow-up meeting was meant to bridge those divides, bringing together selected political leaders, local government and ward executives, women and youth leaders, and government appointees representing all 15 wards of Ijumu LGA.
However, the sudden passing of Solomon has delivered a major shockwave to the political landscape in Kogi West, casting a heavy shadow over ongoing efforts to unify party ranks ahead of the 2027 general elections.
As of press time, the exact cause of his death has not been officially disclosed, just as no formal statement has been received from the APC state executive and local authorities on the development ..
-
News3 days agoBREAKING: Gunmen attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo shortly after receiving Certificate of Return
-
News3 days agoLagos shuts churches over noise pollution
-
News11 hours agoAPC Chairman slumps, dies during reconciliation meeting in Kogi
-
News3 days agoTwo shot as police attempt to arrest suspects in Anambra
-
News17 hours agoEnugu ADC chairman allegedly murdered in his village
-
News2 days agoAlleged Drug Trafficking: Tinubu seeks 10-day delay in release of records
-
Uncategorized3 days agoTinubu appoints Abel Olumuyiwa Enitan as Head of Civil Service of the Federation
-
News17 hours ago2027: Tinubu’ll relocate Nigeria’s capital to Lagos if he wins – Primate Ayodele




