Connect with us

News

Akpabio slams N200b suit on Natasha over sexual harassment allegation

Published

on

Akpabio and Natasha
Spread the love

* I now have chance to prove how I was sexually harassed, says Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan

Senate President Godswill Akpabio has filed a N200 billion defamation suit against Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan over allegations that he sexually harassed her. The lawsuit, filed before the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), is accompanied by Motion No. M/12725/2025 and seeks substantial damages, public apologies, and removal of all online content containing the allegations.

Akpoti-Uduaghan confirmed receipt of the suit in a statement posted on Thursday, saying:

“Today being the 5th day of December, 2025, I’m in receipt of the newly instituted 200 billion naira suit against me by Senator Godswill Akpabio claiming defamation on sexual harassment.”

She said she welcomed the development, noting that the Senate Committee on Ethics and Privileges had previously declined to hear her petition.

According to her: “Now, I am glad that Sen. Akpabio has brought this up because the Senate Committee on Ethics and Privileges failed to grant me audience in this issue relying on the fact that Godswill Akpabio’s wife had instituted a defamatory case against me. Therefore they couldn’t attend to a matter already in court.”

Court filings seen on Thursday show that Akpabio accuses the Kogi Central senator of granting interviews and making public statements on television, radio, and online that portrayed him as a predator who exploited his position for personal gratification. The Senate President argues that the allegations were widely consumed by “millions of Nigerians,” causing what he describes as severe reputational damage, humiliation, and distress.

Maduka College Advert

The suit demands: retractions across media platforms, removal of all online materials containing the allegations, public apology broadcasts across major media outlets for consecutive days and N200 billion in damages.

According to court documents, Akpabio filed an ex parte application in December seeking permission to serve the suit through substituted means after attempts to serve Akpoti-Uduaghan directly were unsuccessful.

Justice Kekemeke granted the request, allowing the claimant to serve all originating and subsequent court processes, including hearing notices, through the Clerk of the National Assembly or any staff in the Clerk’s office at the Three Arms Zone, Abuja.

The court order reads in part: “AN ORDER of the Honourable Court granting leave to the Claimant/Applicant to serve the Originating Processes… by delivering same to the Clerk of the National Assembly, or any staff in the office of the Clerk of the National Assembly… AN ORDER …deeming the said mode of service of the processes on the Defendant as good and proper service.”

Akpoti-Uduaghan, in her statement, said Senate rules initially prevented her from taking the matter to court because she was required to first present her complaint before the Senate Ethics Committee.

“Albeit, I couldn’t proceed to court because by senate rules, I must still present my case before the Ethics committee (same committee that recommended my illegal suspension),” she said.

She added that the lawsuit now gives her the opportunity to present her allegations formally:

“Alas, I now have a chance to prove how I was sexually harassed and how my refusal to give into his demands unleashed series of unprovoked and unprecedented attacks on my person.”

Ending her statement, she declared: “See you in court Godswill Akpabio. Senator Natasha H Akpoti Uduaghan, Kogi Central.”

The case Suit No. FCT/HC/CV/3356/2025 is expected to proceed in the coming weeks and is already shaping up to be one of the most closely watched legal battles in Nigeria’s recent political history.

News

Anambra introduces new burial law, bans presentation of cows, goats as condolence gifts

Published

on

Governor Charles Soludo of Anambra State
Spread the love

• Public display of caskets, dancing with caskets, others abolished

The Anambra State Government has introduced strict new legislation regulating funeral rites, effectively outlawing midweek burials and banning the presentation of items such as cows, goats and other expensive gifts during condolence visits.

The law, enacted by the Anambra State House of Assembly, is aimed at regulating burial and funeral ceremony activities in the state.

According to the law obtained by our correspondent on Monday, the state described the move as a major step towards curbing extravagant funeral practices that have long placed heavy financial burdens on bereaved families.

The regulations are also aimed at boosting economic productivity, reducing extravagant spending and stopping prolonged, lavish funeral activities from disrupting working days.

Under the legislation, “No person shall give to the deceased person’s family, as a condolence gift, any item exceeding money, one jar of palm wine, one carton of beer and one crate of soft drinks.

“All burial and funeral ceremonies are now restricted to Saturdays only. Midweek (Monday to Friday) burials are prohibited. All burial ceremonies must be completed within one day.”

Maduka College Advert

The burial law also contains far-reaching provisions aimed at reducing ostentatious funeral ceremonies across the state, stating that offenders are liable to a fine of ₦100,000, or six months’ imprisonment, or both.

By the law, the common practice of presenting cows, goats, bags of rice and other expensive items at funerals and condolence visits is banned.

The law is intended to remove financial burden and pressure on bereaved families and to curb oppressive practices during burials.

It states, “All burial ceremonies must be completed within one day, while wake-keep ceremonies have been abolished entirely.

“Vigil masses, services of songs and related religious activities must end by 9pm, and no food, drinks, live bands or cultural entertainment may be provided during such events.

“The law also prohibits the erection of billboards, banners and posters of deceased persons anywhere in the state.

“Only directional signs leading to burial venues are permitted, and they cannot be displayed earlier than seven days before the burial date.

“Public display of caskets for advertisement or sale is barred, and dancing with caskets is prohibited.

“Undertakers are limited to six persons during funeral activities.

“Corpses are not to remain in mortuaries beyond two months from the date of death.

“Any corpse kept longer risks being classified as a ‘rejected corpse’ and may be buried in government-designated burial grounds to be established in every community.”

The legislation also seeks to limit excessive spending by making food and drinks optional for guests and banning the sharing of souvenirs during funerals.

“Second funeral rites are prohibited except in legacy-related cases.

“The wearing of uniform attire, popularly known as ‘aso ebi’, is restricted to immediate family members, church groups, ‘umunna’, ‘umuada’ and ‘iyom di’, where applicable.

“To enforce compliance, the state will establish monitoring and implementation committees in various communities to oversee the registration of deaths, approve burial ceremonies and monitor adherence to the law.

“Traditional youth practices deemed disruptive have also been outlawed, including public display of photographs of the deceased, destruction of crops or household property, and unauthorised use of firearms during burials,” it added.

The government’s latest move is aimed at restoring order to burial ceremonies and easing the financial burden on families.

The law also warns against the blocking of roads and streets during burial ceremonies.

Continue Reading

News

Yahaya Bello disqualified from APC Senatorial primaries

Published

on

Follow AGF’s advice, submit to EFCC – Group tells Yahaya Bello
Yahaya Bello
Spread the love

Former Kogi State governor, Yahaya Bello, was reportedly denied clearance to take part in the All Progressives Congress (APC) senatorial primary screening in Kogi State after he failed to appear before the party’s screening panel.

According to a screening report from the Kogi State secretariat of the APC obtained by Sahara Reporters, Bello’s name was not among the aspirants cleared for the exercise.

Sources within the APC told Sahara Reporters that Bello stayed away from the screening exercise because of questions connected to ongoing criminal investigations and court cases.

The source claimed the former governor was not cleared because he did not participate in the screening process.

Another source told the publication that one of the questions in the APC senatorial form required aspirants to disclose any ongoing criminal investigation, which may have influenced Bello’s decision not to attend the screening.

The source further alleged that EFCC officials were expected around the party secretariat during the screening exercise, forcing Bello to avoid the venue and travel to Lagos instead.

Maduka College Advert

The development comes as the former governor continues to battle corruption cases filed against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Bello is currently facing two separate criminal trials linked to alleged financial misconduct during his time as governor of Kogi State.

One of the cases involves an alleged N80.2 billion money laundering charge filed before the Federal High Court in Abuja.

The EFCC accused him and other persons of diverting public funds through private accounts and using part of the money to acquire expensive properties in Nigeria and Dubai.

The anti-graft agency also accused the former governor of criminal breach of trust in the case, which is being handled by Justice Emeka Nwite.

During the ongoing trial, bank officials and other witnesses reportedly gave evidence concerning cash transactions allegedly carried out to avoid financial reporting rules.

Apart from the N80.2 billion case, Bello is also standing trial over another alleged fraud case involving N110.4 billion. In that matter, the EFCC accused him alongside Umar Oricha and Abdulsalami Hudu of illegally diverting funds belonging to Kogi State.

Bello is seeking to contest for the Kogi Central Senatorial District seat, but his ambition has continued to generate reactions because of the corruption allegations hanging over him.

Continue Reading

News

Three females beheaded in Enugu

Published

on

Spread the love

Three persons, all females, were beheaded in Igbo-Etiti Local Government Area of Enugu State, the state police command confirmed on Sunday.

The incidents occurred at two different communities of the LGA.

According to the police, the incidents involved the alleged murder of a mother by her son, and the alleged murder of a woman and her child by the woman’s brother.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Daniel Ndukwe, in a release, explained that the first incident occurred st Nkporogwu Ukehe Community.

Ndukwe stated that, “In the first incident, police operatives attached to the Igbo-Etiti Division, at about 3:10pm, responded to a report alleging that one Anikwe Onyebuchi (male, aged about 40) used a cutlass to behead his 60-year-old mother, Anikwe Felicia, at Nkporogwu Ukehe Community.”

Ndukwe said the corpse and the severed head of the deceased were recovered and taken to the hospital, where doctors confirmed her dead, after which the remains were deposited in the mortuary for preservation and autopsy.

Maduka College Advert

“The suspect was subsequently rescued and rearrested from an angry mob that had severely beaten him and was taken to hospital for medical treatment,” Ndukwe said, adding that “A full-scale investigation into the incident has commenced.”

In a similar vein, the state police command, responding to a distress call, arrested one Joshua Eze for allegedly murdering his sister and her daughter. The suspect was apprehended by the Command’s Distress Response Squad stationed at Ekwegbe Junction along the Ugwuagu/Opi/Nsukka Road, it was learnt.

The police spokesman said, “At about 3:18pm on the same, police operatives responded to a distress call alleging that one Joshua Eze (male) similarly used a cutlass to sever the heads of his sister, Nwabuche Eze, and her little daughter, Favour Eze, at Agu-Ekwegbe Community in the same Igbo-Etiti LGA. The remains of the deceased victims were recovered and taken to the hospital, where doctors confirmed them dead, after which the corpses were deposited in the mortuary for preservation and autopsy.”

He added that the police operatives also rescued the suspect from an angry mob in a critical condition and taken to the hospital, where doctors later confirmed him dead.

He stated that preliminary investigations revealed that after allegedly murdering the victims, he buried their remains in a shallow grave alongside a dead white cock, suggesting possible ritual intentions.

Meanwhile, the state Commissioner of Police, CP Bitrus Giwa, has condemned the act, and ordered the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of the State CID to immediately commence comprehensive investigations to ascertain the circumstances surrounding both incidents and ensure necessary investigative actions.

He urged members of the public to refrain from taking laws into their hands by resorting to jungle justice, regardless of the provocation, and “instead promptly report criminal suspects to the police or other lawful authorities for appropriate action.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert