Connect with us

News

Abducted Niger school pupils now 303 – CAN

Published

on

This photo released by the Christian Association of Nigeria shows the dormitories of St. Mary's Catholic Primary and Secondary School after gunmen abducted children and staff in Papiri community in Nigeria on Friday. Source: The Associated Press
Spread the love

A total of 303 schoolchildren and 12 teachers were abducted by gunmen during an attack on St. Mary’s School, a Catholic institution in north-central Nigeria’s Niger state, the Christian Association of Nigeria said Saturday, updating an earlier tally of 215 schoolchildren.

The tally was changed “after a verification exercise and a final census was carried out,” according to a statement issued by the Most. Rev. Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, chairman of the Niger state chapter of CAN, who visited the school on Friday.

He said 88 other students “were also captured after they tried to escape” during the attack. The students were both male and female and ranged in age from 10 to 18.

The school kidnapping in Niger state’s remote Papiri community happened four days after 25 schoolchildren were seized in similar circumstances in neighboring Kebbi state’s Maga town, which is 170 kilometers (106 miles) away.

No group has yet claimed responsibility for the abductions and authorities have said tactical squads have been deployed alongside local hunters to rescue the children.

Maduka College Advert

Yohanna described as false a claim from the state government that the school had reopened for studies despite an earlier directive for schools in that part of Niger state to close temporarily due to security threats.

“We did not receive any circular. It must be an afterthought and a way to shift blame,” he said, calling on families “to remain calm and prayerful.”

School kidnappings have come to define insecurity in Africa’s most populous nation, and armed gangs often see schools as “strategic” targets to draw more attention.

UNICEF said last year that only 37% of schools across 10 of the conflict-hit states have early warning systems to detect threats.

Niger state has now shut down all schools as a measure to forestall other kidnappings. The decision was in a bid to protect lives and property, Niger Gov. Umar Bago told reporters Saturday after meeting with security officials in Minna.

“It is the decision of stakeholders today to close all schools in Niger state. All schools are closed till further notice. So we have declared Christmas holiday for all schools in Niger state,” Bago said.

The kidnappings are happening amid U.S. President Donald Trump’s claims of targeted killings against Christians in the West African country. Attacks in Nigeria affect both Christians and Muslims. The school attack earlier this week in Kebbi state was in a Muslim-majority town.

The attack also took place as Nigerian National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu was visiting the U.S. where he met Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth on Friday.

News

Two shot as police attempt to arrest suspects in Anambra

Published

on

Anambra CP visits the victims at the hospital.
Spread the love

Two persons sustained gunshot injuries on Wednesday during an attempted arrest by police officers at the River Niger Head Bridge, Onitsha, Anambra State, causing panic and disrupting vehicular and pedestrian movement in the area.

The incident, which occurred around noon, caused gridlock along the busy Onitsha-Awka Expressway, as a confrontation reportedly broke out between the security operatives and some hoodlums.

Eyewitnesses near the scene said the victims were shot during the confrontation and later became unconscious before they were rushed to a nearby hospital.

One of the sources said, “The incident occurred this afternoon. It arose from a confrontation between the police officers and the victims. They were being stopped by the officers for questioning. In an attempt to arrest them, they resisted the arrest and the police fired some shots at them.

“The incident resulted in heavy skirmishes around the Bridgehead Market as people scampered to safety. The area remained in chaos until the arrival of another batch of police team. The victims were later rushed to a nearby hospital.”

Maduka College Advert

Confirming the incident, the spokesperson for the Anambra State Police Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, said the incident occurred when the suspects allegedly resisted arrest, resulting in gunshot injuries.

Ikenga said the Commissioner of Police, Nnanna Oji Ama, had visited the scene and addressed the crowd, adding that an investigation had commenced to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the incident.

According to him, the CP subsequently visited the victims at the hospital, where he assured them of the command’s support and pledged to personally ensure that their medical expenses were covered.

He said, “The Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Command, CP Nnanna Oji, while addressing the crowd in Onitsha over the incident arising from a confrontation during an attempted arrest, stated that the immediate priority of the Command is to ensure that the victims recover fully.

“The incident occurred when suspects allegedly resisted arrest, resulting in gunshot injuries. The Commissioner of Police subsequently visited the victims at the hospital, where he assured them of the Command’s support and pledged to personally ensure that their medical expenses are covered.

“The CP further ordered a thorough and impartial investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident, particularly the events leading to the discharge of the firearm.

“He stressed that the investigation will establish the facts and ensure that appropriate action is taken based on its findings.

“The Commissioner of Police appealed for calm and urged members of the public to remain peaceful and allow the investigation to run its course.”

Ikenga reiterated the command’s commitment to professionalism, accountability, respect for human life and the rule of law.

“Meanwhile, traffic and human movement around the Head Bridge area have been de-escalated, with free flow of vehicular and human movement now restored,” he added.

Continue Reading

News

Lagos shuts churches over noise pollution

Published

on

Lagos Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu
Spread the love

Three churches in Lagos State have been shut down by the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA) over noise pollution as part of an enforcement exercise targeting 11 establishments in Agege and Mushin.

The affected churches are Holy Temple of Christ on Ayetoro Street, behind NIPCO Filling Station, Mushin; Christ Covenant Gospel Church, Western District, along Ikorodu Road, Fadeyi, Mushin; and Christ Apostolic Church, Oye Iyanu, located at Mushin Road, Church Bus Stop, Itire.

LASEPA carried out the enforcement operation on Tuesday after the affected establishments had received warnings and notices over environmental violations.

The agency said the establishments were given opportunities to correct the problems but failed to meet the required standards.

The shutdown of the three churches was linked to noise pollution, with the agency maintaining that religious activities and other operations must comply with environmental regulations to protect residents and maintain peace within communities.

Maduka College Advert

LASEPA also sealed Akorohunfayo Central Mosque on Akorohunfayo Street, Fadeyi, Mushin, over noise pollution.

Other establishments affected included Biolarique Bakery Academy on Mushin Road, Mushin, which was sealed for failing to comply with the agency’s directives.

Tiles & Marbles on Silver Street, Olorunsogo, Mushin, was also shut over air pollution.

Five scrap yards operating in Agege and Mushin were equally sealed.

The facilities were accused of various environmental offences, including failure to provide evidence of an E-Waste Permit, environmental pollution and non-compliance with directives issued by LASEPA.

The affected scrap yards are Abubakar Scrap at Pipeline, Ifako-Ijaiye, Agege; Benjamin Scrap Yard on Ladoje Street, Oko Oba, Agege; Starlas and Sons Scrap Yard, also on Ladoje Street, Oko Oba, Agege; Jamin Scrap Yard at Jungle Bus Stop, Iju Road, Agege; and a Scrap Yard on Olu Aina Street, Daleko, Mushin.

LASEPA General Manager, Dr Babatunde Ajayi, said the agency would continue to monitor establishments across Lagos and enforce environmental regulations where operators fail to comply.

He urged religious organisations, business owners, facility operators, scrap dealers and other residents to obtain the necessary permits, follow environmental rules and take steps to prevent activities that could affect public health or the wellbeing of people living around their facilities.

The agency said further monitoring and enforcement exercises would continue across Lagos as part of efforts to maintain a cleaner and safer environment.

Continue Reading

News

Gov Mbah appoints 23 Special Advisers, Senior Special Assistants

Published

on

Enugu Governor Dr Peter Mbah
Spread the love

Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State has approved the appointment of 23 Special Advisers and Senior Special Assistants to support his administration in various areas of governance.

The appointments, contained in a Public Service Announcement signed by the Secretary to the Enugu State Government, Prof. Chidiebere Onyia, on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, take effect immediately.
Nine of the appointees were appointed Special Advisers, while 14 were appointed Senior Special Assistants.

Among those appointed as Special Advisers are Hon. Chukwudi Ezinwa, Labour Union and Association Matters; Hon. Sunday Nnamani (Orlando), Special Duties; Mr. Williams Chukwu, Agriculture; Prince Afam Agana, Infrastructure Compliance; and Humphrey Onyima, Investment Strategy and Public Relations.

Others are Hon. Tony Ugwu, Rural Development; Chief Ernest Nweze, Party Coordination and Mobilisation; Hon. Emeka Onunze, Monitoring and Evaluation; and Mr. Robinson Odo (mni), Labour and Productivity.

Those appointed as Senior Special Assistants include Pastor Kenneth Asogwa (Ebube Muonso), Heritage and Community Relations; Pastor Tochukwu Ogbodo, Social Engagement; Barr. Lucky Chukwu, Public Affairs; Belonwu Nnaji, Cultural Orientation; and Hon. Steve Odo, Tourism.

Maduka College Advert

Also appointed are Hon. Francis Ikewette Ede, Public Communication; Mr. Sunny Okafor, General Duties; Hon. Chinedu Okwu Otaka, Social Orientation and Mobilisation; Otaba Cosmas Ikechukwu, Protection of Public Utilities; Pius Okeagu, Assets Management; and Rt. Hon. Innocent Emeka Ugwu, Inter-Party Affairs.

The remaining appointees are Mrs. Eucharia Offor, Human Resource Management; Mr. Kenneth Oforma, Policy and Communication; and Kelvin Ede, Research and Strategy.

The state government said the appointments are effective immediately.

The new appointments are expected to strengthen the administration’s capacity across key sectors, including agriculture, infrastructure, investment, labour, rural development, public communication, tourism, human resources and community relations.

The full statement:

ENUGU STATE GOVERNMENT

OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY TO THE STATE GOVERNMENT

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

The Governor of Enugu State, His Excellency, Dr. Peter Ndubuisi Mbah, has approved the appointment of the following persons as Special Advisers (SPAs) and Senior Special Assistants (SSAs):

1. *Hon. Chukwudi Ezinwa* — Special Adviser on Labour Union and Association Matters

2. *Hon. Sunday Nnamani (Orlando)* — Special Adviser on Special Duties

3. *Mr. Williams Chukwu* — Special Adviser on Agriculture

4. *Prince Afam Agana* — Special Adviser on Infrastructure Compliance

5. *Humphrey Onyima* — Special Adviser on Investment Strategy and Public Relations

6. *Hon. Tony Ugwu* — Special Adviser on Rural Development

7. *Chief Ernest Nweze* — Special Adviser on Party Coordination and Mobilisation

8. *Hon. Emeka Onunze* — Special Adviser on Monitoring and Evaluation

9. *Mr. Robinson Odo (mni) — Special Adviser on Labour and Productivity*

10. *Pastor Kenneth Asogwa (Ebube Muonso)* — Senior Special Assistant on Heritage and Community Relations

11. *Pastor Tochukwu Ogbodo* — Senior Special Assistant on Social Engagement

12. *Barr. Lucky Chukwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Public Affairs

13. *Belonwu Nnaji* — Senior Special Assistant on Cultural Orientation

14. *Hon. Steve Odo* — Senior Special Assistant on Tourism

15. *Hon. Francis Ikewette Ede* — Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication

16. *Mr. Sunny Okafor* — Senior Special Assistant on General Duties

17. *Hon. Chinedu Okwu Otaka* — Senior Special Assistant on Social Orientation and Mobilisation

18. *Otaba Cosmas Ikechukwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Protection of Public Utilities

19. *Pius Okeagu* — Senior Special Assistant on Assets Management

20. *Rt. Hon. Innocent Emeka Ugwu* — Senior Special Assistant on Inter-Party Affairs

21. *Mrs. Eucharia Offor* — Senior Special Assistant on Human Resource Management

22. *Mr. Kenneth Oforma* — Senior Special Assistant on Policy and Communication

23. *Kelvin Ede — Senior Special Assistant on Research and Strategy*

The appointments take effect immediately.

Signed:
Prof. Chidiebere Onyia
Secretary to the Enugu State Government

Wednesday, 19th August, 2026

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert