
News
Trump criticised after posting AI image dressed as pope
United States President Donald Trump has faced backlash, including from Catholics, after he posted an artificial intelligence-generated photo showing himself as the pope days in advance of a conclave to elect the next pontiff.
Trump, who is not a Catholic and does not attend church regularly, posted the image on his Truth Social platform late on Friday, less than a week after attending the funeral of Pope Francis, who died last month at the age of 88. The White House then reposted it on its official X account.
The image shows an unsmiling Trump seated in an ornate chair, dressed in white papal vestments and headdress, with his right forefinger raised.
It came after Trump joked to reporters this week that he would like to be the next pope, just days before cardinals are due to start the conclave to elect the successor of Pope Francis.
Asked who he would like to succeed Francis, Trump said: “I’d like to be pope, that would be my number one choice.”

Trump went on to say he did not have a preference, but said there was a cardinal in New York who was “very good”.
He appeared to be referring to the archbishop of New York, Timothy Dolan, a theological conservative and fiercely opposed to abortion.
Dolan said on Sunday that Trump’s AI pope image “wasn’t good” but declined to say whether the White House should apologise to offended Catholics. “I hope he didn’t have anything to do with that,” he said before a Mass at a Rome church.
‘Blatant insult to Catholics’
The irreverent posting, however, drew instant outrage on X, including from Republicans against Trump, a group that describes itself as “pro-democracy conservative Republicans fighting Trump & Trumpism”. The group reposted the image, calling it “a blatant insult to Catholics and a mockery of their faith”.
The New York State Catholic Conference, which says it represents bishops of the state in working with the government, voiced sharp criticism of the picture.
“There is nothing clever or funny about this image, Mr. President,” it wrote in a post on X.
“We just buried our beloved Pope Francis and the cardinals are about to enter a solemn conclave to elect a new successor of St. Peter. Do not mock us.”
Vatican spokesman Matteo Bruni declined to comment on the image during a briefing with journalists about the process of electing a new pope, which begins on May 7.
Former Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi wrote on X: “This is an image that offends believers, insults institutions and shows that the leader of the global right enjoys being a clown. In the meantime, the American economy risks recession and the dollar loses value.”
Italy’s left-leaning La Repubblica also featured the image on its homepage on Saturday with a commentary accusing Trump of “pathological megalomania”.
When asked to respond to the criticism, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said: “President Trump flew to Italy to pay his respects for Pope Francis and attend his funeral, and he has been a staunch champion for Catholics and religious liberty.”
Pope Francis had arguably been one of the most powerful moral voices on the world stage critical of Trump.
When Trump first ran for president in 2016, Francis was unsparing on his signature promise to build a border wall to seal off Mexico.
Francis had told reporters: “Anyone, whoever he is, who only wants to build walls and not bridges is not a Christian.”
Cardinals will gather on May 7 in a conclave in the Vatican’s Sistine Chapel to elect a new pope.
News
2027 Election: Yilwatda apologises to aggrieved Oyo APC members, seeks unity
Ahead of the 2027 general elections, the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, has apologised to aggrieved members over perceived wrongs during the party’s internal primaries, saying the National Working Committee (NWC) takes responsibility for such actions.
Yilwatda, who made the disclosure on Thursday in Ibadan during the launch of the APC governorship candidate campaign office in Ibadan, appealed to members who felt hurt, injured, prevented or excluded in any form to forgive the party and remain united ahead of the 2027 general elections.
He said the responsibility extended beyond Oyo State, stressing that the committee that conducted the party’s primaries was constituted by the national leadership and therefore, any mistake committed by it amounted to a mistake by the party.
“This is not for Oyo State alone. Anywhere anybody made a mistake in a state, it is our mistake because the committee was set up by us and they are representing us.
“If anybody is hurt, if anybody is injured, if anybody is prevented or excluded in any form or the other, we take responsibility. On TV, before Nigerians, we take responsibility of all that has happened. I appeal to everybody that we are sorry,” he said.

The APC national chairman urged members at polling units, wards and local government areas across the country to regard the matter as an internal family affair.
Yilwatda assured that the party was taking Oyo State seriously because of its strategic importance and large voting population, second only to Lagos.
Speaking, the APC governorship candidate in Oyo State, Senator Sharafadeen Alli, commended the party’s National Chairman, Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, for fulfilling his promises to the state within two days.
Alli expressed appreciation to Yilwatda for honouring the invitation to meet with governorship aspirants and stakeholders, saying the achievements recorded within the period surpassed what the stakeholders had been able to accomplish.
He said the promises made when the national chairman invited the aspirants had now been fulfilled.
“We cannot thank you enough for what you have come to do. What you have achieved successfully in two days, we have not been able to accomplish,” Alli said.
He assured the national chairman that the party in Oyo would continue to do the needful.
Earlier, mammoth crowd of members and supporters of the All Progressives Congress (APC) gathered in Ibadan on Thursday as the party’s national chairman, Professor Nentawe Yilwatda, officially inaugurated the party’s governorship campaign office in Dandaru, along the Total Garden-Mokola Road, Ibadan.
The inauguration formed part of activities marking the APC National Chairman’s two-day official visit to Oyo State, which commenced on Wednesday, August 19, 2026.
Party members from across the 33 local government areas of the state converged on the venue to witness the official inauguration of the campaign office and welcome the national chairman.
The campaign office will serve as the secretariat of the APC governorship candidate in Oyo State, Senator Sharafadeen Alli.
Business
AFRAA welcomes Enugu Air, strengthens Nigeria’s Domestic Aviation growth
The African Airlines Association (AFRAA) has admitted Enugu Air as Member, extending the Association’s membership base in Nigeria’s fast-growing domestic aviation market and reaffirming AFRAA’s commitment to supporting the continued development of African carriers across the continent.
This was announced by AFRAA in Nairobi on Wednesday, making Enugu Air the 50th Member of the association, joining the AFRAA airline fraternity, collectively representing more than 85 per cent of total international traffic carried by African airlines.
Speaking on the occasion, AFRAA Secretary General, Mr. Abdérahmane Berthé, said, “We are delighted to welcome Enugu Air into the AFRAA fraternity.

“As a state-backed carrier serving Nigeria’s rapidly expanding domestic market, Enugu Air represents the kind of homegrown investment that is vital to building resilient air connectivity across our continent.

“We look forward to supporting the airline through the IOSA certification process and to its continued growth within the AFRAA membership, as we work together to advance the cause of unified African skies.”
Reacting to the development, the CEO of Enugu, Capt Tolu Ita, described the admission into AFRAA as a major milestone in the airline’s short history.
“We are honoured to join the AFRAA fraternity. This membership underscores Enugu Air’s commitment to safe, reliable, and affordable air travel for Nigerians while contributing to the vision of a unified African aviation market.
“We look forward to collaborating with fellow AFRAA members and leveraging the association’s support as we grow our network and pursue IOSA certification,” Tolu stated.
Founded on July 7, 2025, Enugu Air commenced commercial operations with a fleet of Embraer E170/E190/E195 aircraft.
The airline, which has its headquarters in Enugu and operates from the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, currently serves nine domestic destinations including Enugu, Abuja, Lagos, Port Harcourt, Kano and Benin City.
As part of the airline’s growth strategy, Enugu Air plans to expand further across Nigeria and, in subsequent phases, to launch regional and international routes across Africa, Europe, and beyond.
As part of its growth strategy, Enugu Air plans to expand further across Nigeria and, in subsequent phases, to launch regional and international routes across Africa, Europe, and beyond.
The admission of Enugu Air aligns with AFRAA’s strategic priorities and strengthens the voice of the association. Nigeria, as Africa’s most populous nation and one of its fastest-growing economies, remains central to the realization of a truly integrated African aviation market.
Meanwhile, founded in Accra, Ghana, in April 1968, and headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, AFRAA’s mission is to promote, serve African Airlines and champion Africa’s aviation industry.
The association envisions a sustainable, interconnected and affordable air transport industry in Africa, where African airlines become key players and drivers of African economic development.
AFRAA membership cuts across the entire continent and includes all the major intercontinental African operators.
The association’s members represent over 85% of total international traffic carried by African airlines.
News
Aiyedatiwa appoints 1,004 aides, picks commissioner, three advisers
Ondo State Governor, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, has approved a fresh round of appointments involving a commissioner, three Special Advisers and 1,000 other aides.
The appointments comprise 90 Senior Special Assistants and 910 Special Assistants, with the governor saying the move is intended to reinforce his administration and improve its reach across the state.
Erelu Taibat Yemi Oloruntoba, from Akoko North-West Local Government Area, has been nominated as Commissioner for Special Duties. Her nomination has been transmitted to the state House of Assembly for consideration and confirmation.
The governor also appointed Hon. Abimbola Fajolu as Special Adviser on Environment, Chief Ade Adeniyi as Special Adviser on Rural and Community Development, and Mr Muyiwa Ogunyemi as Special Adviser on Transport.
Among those named as Senior Special Assistants are Erelu Toyin Ogungbure, Women Mobilisation (South); Bidemi Obayangbon, Forestry; Gboluge Olufunmi Alex, Community Engagement (South); Hon. Akin Adeniyi, Community Engagement (Central); and Obayan Theophilus Ayodeji, Community Engagement (North).

Others include Kelvin Solomon, Students Affairs; Adeolu Iwakun, Volunteer Services; Samson Job Bazuaye, Oil and Gas; Fade Ojamomi, Youth Empowerment and Job Creation; Sam Adepoju, Public Engagement; and Alhaji Samad Orijeminiyi, Scholarship.
Also appointed are Victor Omodara, Grassroots Mobilisation; Abayomi Adefolalu, Photography; and Alhaji Abdukadiri Adenoyi, Prince Nzuoma Egbulefu and Alhaji Garba Goni, all for Non-Indigenes.
-
News2 days agoBREAKING: Gunmen attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo shortly after receiving Certificate of Return
-
International2 days agoCanada invites 1,000 candidates to apply for permanent residence
-
Uncategorized2 days ago2027: Obi unfolds agenda as campaigns begin
-
News2 days agoLagos shuts churches over noise pollution
-
News2 days agoTwo shot as police attempt to arrest suspects in Anambra
-
News2 days agoEven if Tinubu appoints Seyi as INEC chairman, he’ll be defeated in 2027 — Dalung
-
News2 days agoWhy I won’t apologise to Okpebholo — Davido
-
News2 days agoAccess Bank asks court to recover N1.3bn stolen by Yahoo Boys




