Connect with us

Uncategorized

APC dissolves Rivers Excos, names Wike’s loyalists as Caretaker Committee members

Published

on

APC logo and Nyesom Wike

The National Working Committee (NWC) of the All Progressives Congress (APC) on Wednesday dissolved the Rivers State executives of the party at all levels.

Briefing journalists at the national secretariat in Abuja, APC spokesperson, Felix Morka, announced the National Working Committee (NWC) decision to appoint a seven-member Caretaker Committee to steer the Party’s affairs in the state for the next six months.

The newly appointed seven-member caretaker committee are; Chief Tony C. Okocha (Chairman), Chief Eric Nwibani (Secretary), Hon. Chibuike Ikenga and Prince Stephen Abolo.

Others are Hon. Silvester Vidin, Senibo Karibi Dan-Jumbo and Miss Darling Amadi.

Morka, who read out the party’s decision signed by the national chairman, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje and deputy national secretary, Festus Fuanter, disclosed that “the caretaker committee is mandated to conduct a comprehensive and fresh electronic party registration of all members in the state”

“The caretaker committee subject to the directives of the NWC was entrusted with preparing for the conduct of congresses to facilitate the emergence of new executive committees for the Party at various levels, extending from the ward to the state.

According to Morka, the caretaker committee will be inaugurated on Friday, November 24, 2023 at the party’s national secretariat in Abuja.

Okocha an ally of the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, had in July made a strong case for the immediate past Governor of Rivers State (Wike)  to be given the ministerial slot meant for the state, arguing that the victory of President Bola Tinubu in the state was made possible by Wike.

Advertisement

He said neither the Social Democratic Party’s Governorship candidate, Magnus Abe, nor the former Transport minister, Rotimi Amaechi, deserved the slot, having not worked for Tinubu’s success, as Wike, a member of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party PDP did.

SEE ALSO:  Yahaya Bello: NBA disowns protest by lawyers

Wike had since been appointed as Federal Capital Territory FCT Minister.

The new move by the national leadership of the party is seen as the first step towards repositioning the APC to accommodate Wike’s interest though he is yet to officially quit the PDP.

Advertisements

Uncategorized

Five children suffocate to death inside abandoned car in Niger

Published

on

• The unused car in which the bodies of the five children were found in Minna, Niger State

Three children of the same parents and two others whose ages ranged from five to 10 years died in an abandoned Honda Civic with Registration No. GO 778 ABC in Niger State following suffocation after they locked themselves inside the car for hours.

It is a common sight to find children in large numbers throwing caution to the wind and playing on the streets of Minna, the state capital.

The incident happened on Sunday in the Gurara Albishir area located on Bida Road when the children mistakenly entered the vehicle which had been abandoned for two years before the incident and locked themselves inside for over five hours.

An eyewitness in the neighbourhood who gave his name as Bala Usman said the children were playing in a large compound when they hopped into the abandoned car which refused to open.

“They tried to open the car and it refused to open and so they gave up trying. The car had been parked there for about two years by the owner.

“They might have mistakenly locked themselves up from around 11 am while the parents were searching for them only to discover their dead bodies in the car around 4 pm after fruitlessly looking everywhere around the vicinity,” Usman said.

The victims, which included four females and a male, comprised three siblings and two victims of different parents including the owner of the car. Their names and ages were given as Zahra, 10; Aisha, seven; Fati, five, and Isah, seven.

Our correspondent could not ascertain the identity of the fifth victim.

Advertisement

In his reaction, the chairman of Chanchaga Local Government Area, Aminu Ladan, confirmed the incident, describing it as unfortunate.

SEE ALSO:  Seven Ahoada East Councillors, Assembly Leader declare support for Fubara

“This is a very unfortunate incident, I must tell you. We pray for the families to be comforted at a time like this,” he said.

Aminu, whose residence is located around the neighbourhood where the incident occurred, immediately visited the scene and condoled with the bereaved families.

The Niger State Police Command Public Relations Officer, Wasiu Abiodun, who also reacted to the incident said the owner of the vehicle had been invited for questioning while the matter was under investigation.

“On 21/4/2024 at about 6.30 pm, based on information received at Kpakungu Division, five children of about five to 13 years of age were found trapped in a Honda Civic vehicle with Reg No. GO 778 ABC at Albishiri area of Minna.

“They were found to have suffocated in the vehicle, while their bodies were later removed by the various parents, as the police visited the scene.

“However, the owner of the vehicle was invited for questioning, as the unfortunate incident is under investigation,” he stated in a WhatsApp message sent to our correspondent. (Punch)

Advertisement
Advertisements
Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Mbah offers scholarship to 11-year-old domestic worker abused by lawyer in Anambra

Published

on

Mbah offers scholarship to 11-year-old domestic worker abused by lawyer in Anambra
•Ngozi Enih, Nwafor Happiness and her Mother

Gov. Peter Mbah of Enugu state on Wednesday offered scholarship up to university level to 11-year-old domestic worker, Happiness Nwafor, who was allegedly abused and brutalised by her employer.

The governor also ordered the rehabilitation of the victim.

The State Commissioner for Children, Gender and Social Development, Mrs Ngozi Enih, disclosed this while briefing newsmen in Enugu.

The Advocate reports that Nwafor,  who hails from Enugu state,  was allegedly molested by her “madam”,  an Anambra based Lawyer, Adachukwu Okafor, who resides in Onitsha.

Okafor had brought her into her home in January,  after contacting her parents to help her get a child who would assist her with house chores.

She had battered the little Nwafor with hot iron and knife, inflicting injuries on her after accusing her of touching her child’s private part while bathing the child.

In a letter to the Scholarship Board, Enih said Mbah had graciously approved the rehabilitation and offer of scholarship up to university level for Nwafor.

She stated that the governor’s action was in line with the resolution of the Enugu State House of Assembly.

Advertisement

“Today we are here to to handover little Happiness Nwafor to the Enugu State Scholarship Board. Recall that on  Feb. 1, a video went viral about a child that was physically abused by a lawyer in Anambra.

“The little girl in question was from Enugu state and we have to rush down to Anambra to ascertain the level of injury and make sure she is healed.

“I appreciate Mbah and his wife, Mrs Nkechinyere Mbah, Gov. Charles Soludo of Anambra and his wife, Dr Nonyelum Soludo, for their rapid response and quick intervention and  making sure that Nwafor was rescued and got the adequate medical treatment.

SEE ALSO:  Police arrest suspect with fake $100,000 notes

“It shows us the type of government we are all witnessing, a government that cares for his people they have been taking care of her even as she go through rehabilitation.

“I equally thank the Ministry of Gender Affairs, Anambra and Minister of Women Affairs, Mrs Uju Kennedy for placing a bounty on the perpetrator who was nowhere to be found.

“We all collaborated to make sure that the Okafor was arrested,” Enih said.

She maintained that the Enugu state would not condone or accept any form of child abuse,  in state or outside the state as it has zero to child abuse.

The commissioner added that little Nwafor would be handed over to the Director in charge of Enugu State School Board for proper documentation.

Advertisement

Receiving the victim, Mr Peter Nkwuo, the Head of Administration, Enugu Scholarship and Education Loan Board, said the board would provide her with school uniform, bag, books and others as pupils in the state do not pay school fees.

He stressed that in future when she would gain admission into secondary school,  the state would pay her school fees and provide her with other materials.

While thanking Anambra and Enugu governments, the mother of the victim, Nwanneka Anioke, said Nwafor’s father abandoned her with four kids,  prompting her to give out Nwafor as a maid.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Alleged N80Bn Graft: Yahaya Bello fails to appear in court for arraignment

Published

on

Alleged N80Bn Graft: Yahaya Bello fails to appear in court for arraignment
Ex-Kogi Governor Yahaya Bello

The arraignment of former Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello before a Federal High Court by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC was stalled on Thursday due to his absence in court.

Bello is to be arraigned by the anti-graft commission for looting of over ₦80bn belonging to the Kogi State government when he served as governor.

However, when the matter came up today, his lawyer said there is an exparte order restraining EFCC from arresting and prosecuting the former Governor which EFCC appealed against at the Court of Appeal.

It will be recalled that the EFCC failed to arrest Mr. Bello on Wednesday after laying siege on his Abuja home for over 8 hours.

The incumbent, Usman Ododo came to the rescue of his predecessor preventing the commission from leaving with him.

Ododo and security operatives attached to the former governor succeeded in taking Bello away from his Abuja residence on Wednesday thus preventing his areest by EFCC.

Bello’s whereabouts is unknown by press time.

Meanwhile, Justice Emeka Nwite of the Federal High Court Abuja has adjourned the case to April 23rd.

Advertisement

The adjournment is for substituted service and possible arraignment of the former governor.

The EFCC has vowed to break all barriers to find where the former governor is and make him face his arraignment, citing section 12 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015.

Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  Yahaya Bello: NBA disowns protest by lawyers
Continue Reading

Trending