Connect with us

News

Oruku town union president, Linus Nwatu, killed as gunmen renew attack on Enugu community

Published

on

Spread the love

President-General of Oruku Town Union in Nkanu East local government area of Enugu State, Chief Linus Nwatu, was reportedly shot dead in the early hours of Saturday (today) by gunmen who have been terrorizing the community in recent time.

Sources said Chief Nwatu, a retired police officer, was shot dead by the unidentified gunmen who broke into his house where he resided with his family members after his retirement from Nigeria Police  some years back.

The Oruku President-General was killed on a day that the community had scheduled to bury a member of the town’s neighborhood watch, Mr. Dennis Ike (a.k.a Peace), who was shot dead by gunmen in the town on June 6, 2022.

The Advocate reported how the gunmen laid an ambush for Ike, who was riding motorcycle at the time,  shot him dead and set his corpse and motorbike ablaze before proceeding to torch houses of some persons in Oruku that fateful day.

In like manner, the gunmen, apparently on a mission to forestall the burial of the slain Ike slated for today, stormed the compound of the president-general (Nwatu) and murdered him in cold-blood Saturday morning.

Maduka College Advert

File: Oruku community protest to Enugu Government House against killing of their monarch, Igwe Emmanuel Mba

One of the sources, who preferred anonymity, told The Advocate that the attack on Nwatu was not unconnected with his role in the lingering communal conflict in Oruku, which the Enugu state government has failed to resolve over the years.

The traditional ruler of Oruku community, Igwe Emmanuel Mbah and several natives had been murdered by hoodlums loyal to a faction in the communal dispute from December 2020 till date.  The traditional ruler was assassinated on December 26, 2020 and his killers are yet to be brought to book.

The assassination later sparked a disorder that caused destruction of lives and property in the community prompting Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi to institute a Judicial Commission of Inquiry to investigate Mbah’s killing.

The murdered Town Union President, Chief Nwatu, had alleged while testifying before the commission that “23 collaborators and sponsors were fueling cultist activities in Oruku” to destroy lives and property.

He had urged the commission headed by Justice Harold Eya to look into the names listed in his memorandum as the masterminds of Oruku crisis and bring them to book.

The Justice Harold Eya panel had since submitted its findings to Governor Ugwuanyi but the government has yet to make the report public and take necessary steps to restore lasting peace in the area.

As a result, many natives who deserted the community following series of attacks and arson, have not returned to their homes while those who remained in Oruku and neigbouring towns have continued to exist in fear though security operatives conduct patrol activities in the area periodically.

The state police spokesman, Daniel Ndukwe could not be reached for his comments on the renewed attack by press time Saturday.

News

Insecurity: Nigeria must not become a killing field — Obi tells FGi

Published

on

Peter Obi
Spread the love

Former Anambra State Governor and 2023 presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has called for urgent government action to halt the wave of killings, abductions and destruction of communities in parts of Nigeria.

Obi, in a statement posted on X on Sunday, said recent deadly attacks in Benue, Plateau and Niger states had highlighted the worsening security situation in the country.

He described the three states, which are located in Nigeria’s North-Central region, as the latest areas to suffer attacks that have claimed scores of lives and displaced residents.

Obi cited the attack in Jwak Maitumbi, Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State, where he said at least 23 people were officially reported killed, while residents put the death toll at more than 30.

He added that over 45 houses were reportedly destroyed in the attack.

Maduka College Advert

The former governor also referred to recent attacks in Borgu, Niger State, where reports indicated that more than 40 people were killed and over 100 others abducted, although he acknowledged that the figures remained contested.

Obi said the situation in Benue was equally troubling, with communities facing repeated attacks, killings, abductions and destruction of homes and livelihoods.

“What is happening in Benue, Plateau and Niger is similar to what is happening elsewhere in the country, with some attacks even going unreported,” he said.

According to him, the recurring attacks should no longer be viewed as separate incidents but as a broader national security crisis requiring a coordinated response.

“Nigeria is not officially at war, yet citizens are being attacked in their villages, abducted after prayers, driven from their homes and stripped of their farms,” Obi said.

He urged the federal, state and local governments to take immediate measures to protect vulnerable communities and prevent further attacks.

Obi called for improved intelligence gathering and rapid-response capabilities, as well as intensified efforts to rescue abducted Nigerians and apprehend those responsible for the violence.

“I urge governments at all levels to wake up to their responsibility and take urgent and decisive action to end this madness once and for all,” he said.

The former presidential candidate said the government should focus on preventing attacks rather than merely responding after lives had been lost.

“We cannot keep counting bodies after every attack. We must prevent these attacks before they happen,” he said.

Obi stressed that the protection of lives and property remained the fundamental responsibility of government.

“Protecting lives and property is the most basic duty of government. Nigerians deserve nothing less,” he said.

He concluded by warning against allowing the deteriorating security situation to become normalised, declaring: “Nigeria must not become a killing field.”

Continue Reading

News

NDLEA arrests 101-year-old woman for selling cannabis in Ogun

Published

on

Spread the love

….Lagos-based daughter who supplies the drug arrested

A 101-year-old woman, Esther Ogunmabo, has been arrested by officers of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) for allegedly selling cannabis in Ilisan, Ogun State.

The centenarian was arrested on Saturday, August 15, 2026, with 90 grammes of skunk, a form of cannabis, which was reportedly packaged in small quantities for sale.

NDLEA spokesman, Femi Babafemi, disclosed that the supect, Ogunmabo admitted that she sold the substance to people in the community.

Babafemi said the suspect told investigators that she became involved in the illicit trade after a fire destroyed her provisions store.

The agency spokesman added that the woman claimed one of her daughters, based in Lagos, was responsible for supplying her with the cannabis at regular intervals.

Maduka College Advert

“She said one of her daughters, who resides in Lagos, arranges the supply of the substance to her every four days, which she in turn sold in bits,” the NDLEA spokesman said.

The arrest was listed among the agency’s recent operations against drug trafficking and illicit drug activities across the country.

Following her arrest, NDLEA Chairman, Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa (retd.), directed that the elderly suspect be granted bail and referred for counselling because of her age.

The agency also disclosed that the daughter allegedly linked to the supply of the cannabis had been arrested.

The NDLEA said its latest operations also recorded other interceptions and arrests at different locations, including the country’s land and maritime borders.

The agency has continued to intensify its campaign against the cultivation, distribution and sale of illicit drugs across the country.

Continue Reading

News

Terrorists abduct many worshippers from Niger Central Mosque

Published

on

Spread the love

A yet-to-be-ascertained number of worshippers have been abducted from the Central Mosque in Dekara town, Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State.

Reports said the victims were kidnapped from worship place when terrorists, in a large number, struck while Jumu’at prayer was ongoing.

According to some sources, the terrorists shot sporadically before assembling some of the worshippers and leading them out of the mosque into the forest.

One of the residents, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told our correspondent by telephone that Borgu LGA recorded various incidents of insecurity, on Friday.

“So many things have happened in Borgu LGA today. Terrorists attacked three communities, including Dekara. In Dekara, they went to the Central Mosque while Jumu’at prayer was ongoing and kidnapped more than 60 people. But they did not injure anybody,” the resident said.

Maduka College Advert

When contacted, the spokesperson for the Niger State Police Command, SP Wasiu Abiodun, said he would verify the information and revert, but he had not done so as of the time of filing this report. (Daily Trust)

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert