Connect with us

News

Gunmen attack Kogi orphanage, abduct 23 Pupils, Proprietor’s wife

Published

on

Spread the love

Gunmen have abducted 23 pupils and the wife of a school proprietor following an attack on an orphanage and school facility in the Zariagi area of Lokoja, Kogi State.

It was gathered that the incident, which occurred late Sunday, targeted a facility identified as Dahallukitab Group of Schools.

Confirming the development in a statement on Monday, the Kogi State Commissioner for Information and Communications, Kingsley Fanwo, said security operatives responded swiftly, leading to the rescue of 15 of the abducted pupils.

The commissioner disclosed that the school was operating outside regulatory oversight.

“The facility was operating illegally in a remote, bushy environment without registration with the State Government and without the knowledge of relevant authorities and security agencies,” Fanwo said.

According to him, efforts are ongoing to secure the release of the remaining eight victims and apprehend those responsible for the attack.

Maduka College Advert

“The Kogi State Government commends the gallantry, professionalism, and swift response of the Police and other security agencies for rising decisively to the occasion,” he added.

Fanwo warned against operating schools and orphanages in isolated areas without proper authorisation, describing such practices as dangerous.

“While the Government remains fully committed to ensuring the rescue of all victims, it is important to stress that the operation of orphanages, schools, and similar institutions in isolated and vulnerable locations, without proper registration and notification to relevant authorities, poses serious security risks, especially in the current security climate,” he said.

The commissioner further urged operators to comply with safety regulations.

“The Government strongly discourages such practices and reiterates the need for strict compliance with regulatory and safety protocols,” Fanwo said.

“All operators of such facilities are advised to engage with appropriate government agencies to ensure proper oversight, security assessment, and protection.”

The commissioner added that security agencies are working to bring the situation under control, noting that updates will be provided as operations continue.

News

I regret trusting my community elders,’ says Cubana Chief Priest after primary election defeat

Published

on

Cubana Chief Priest reads City Boys manifesto booklet during a meeting
Spread the love

Pascal Okechukwu, popularly known as Cubana Chief Priest, has reacted to his defeat in the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for the Orsu/Orlu/Oru East Federal Constituency seat in Imo State.

The celebrity businessman, who serves as the Imo State Coordinator of the City Boys Movement, had sought the APC ticket to contest for a seat in the House of Representatives.

Reacting after the outcome of the primary election in a viral video, Cubana Chief Priest said he had no regrets contesting for the position. Still, he expressed disappointment over what he described as misplaced trust in community elders.

“I’m a hustler, and I didn’t regret trying to contest for a position. My only regret was trusting the elders in the community. I know how much I gave them, but only 14 people voted for me in the primary,” he said.

Cubana Chief Priest had announced his political ambition earlier this year, advocating for what he described as cleaner and issue-based political participation driven by young Nigerians.

Following his defeat, reactions trailed the outcome on social media, with some users mocking the businessman and suggesting he may have underestimated the dynamics of Nigerian politics.

Maduka College Advert

However, Ossai Ovie Success defended him against online criticism.

“Why are people mocking Cubana Chief Priest? Not nice… it’s ok to try and try again,” he wrote on Facebook.

“He lost an election and so what? I am disappointed,” he added.

Continue Reading

News

Peter Obi mourns 17 police officers killed in Yobe deadly terror ambush

Published

on

Peter Obi condemns deportation of Osun indigenes by Lagos gov't
Peter Obi
Spread the love

Former Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has expressed deep sorrow over the killing of security personnel during a recent terrorist attack on a military school in Yobe State, describing the deaths as a painful national tragedy.

In a statement issued on Saturday, Obi extended condolences to the leadership of the Nigerian Armed Forces and the Police following the reported death of 17 police officers and an unspecified number of soldiers during the attack.

“I extend my sincerest condolences to the High Command and Leadership of the Nigerian Military and the Police over the tragic loss of our courageous officers,” Obi said.

“It is with deep sadness that I acknowledge the heartbreaking death of 17 brave police officers, alongside an unspecified number of soldiers, who made the ultimate sacrifice during the recent terrorist attack on a military school in Yobe State.”

The former Anambra State governor said the nation must stand in solidarity with the military, police authorities, and the families of the slain officers.

“At this moment of profound sorrow, the entire nation stands in solidarity with the leadership of the Armed Forces, the Police, the affected commands, and the wider security community,” he stated.

Maduka College Advert

Obi stressed that the continuous loss of security personnel and innocent civilians should not be treated as routine, warning that insecurity must be confronted with urgency and sincerity.

“Every security personnel killed is a tragedy to our nation. Every fallen officer represents a family thrown into grief, children left without parents, and communities robbed of those sworn to protect them,” he said.

He called on the Federal Government to prioritise the welfare of families of fallen officers through adequate compensation and long-term support.

“The Federal Government must ensure adequate compensation, support, and long-term welfare for the families of all those who paid the supreme price in service to our nation,” Obi added.

The Labour Party chieftain further urged authorities to adopt decisive and strategic measures to tackle insecurity across the country.

“A nation cannot continue to normalise the killing of its security personnel and innocent citizens without urgent, decisive, and strategic action. We must confront insecurity with sincerity, professionalism, and the political will necessary to protect lives and restore public confidence,” he stated.

Obi also sympathised with the bereaved families, assuring them that the sacrifices of the slain officers would not be forgotten.

“To the families of the fallen heroes, I offer my deepest and most heartfelt sympathies. We mourn with you, and we honour the courage and sacrifice of your loved ones. May their souls rest in eternal peace,” he said.

Continue Reading

News

Enugu 2027: Civil society group kicks against Nnaji clearance

Published

on

PDP rejects Edo election results in three LGAs
Spread the love

A Civil society organization, The Defence for Democracy, has criticized the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) for clearing former minister of Science and Technology, Uche Geoffrey Nnaji, to contest the primaries for the forthcoming governorship elections in Enugu State despite being under investigation over alleged forged credentials.

Nnaji resigned from President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s cabinet over allegations of forgery and is currently being investigated by relevant authorities.

In a statement issued by the National President of the organisation Dr. Emeka Nwachukwu, and made available to journalists, the organisation questioned the integrity of the entire screening and accused the party of working in favour of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

The organisation said the APC will have sufficient grounds to fast-track accelerated hearing of the forgery case and eventually upturn any victory in the name of the former minister should he win.

The group stressed that “leadership must be built on trust, integrity, and credibility. The people of Enugu State deserve leaders whose records can withstand public scrutiny without fear or controversy.”

The organisation emphasized that while the allegations are not yet proven before a competent court of law, the PDP has a moral responsibility to raise the red flag on the former minister, “Because we are all in this country, and we know that in an event that this former minister wins, there will be an accelerated hearing that will hand over that victory to the APC.

Maduka College Advert

“We believe firmly that Enugu deserves honest leadership, grassroots connection, and a leader who understands the pains of the people, and there are many such people.

“From our findings there are people who represent a great future, and as an organization, we stand for good governance, and when our findings throw up people of impeccable character, we naturally step in to ensure that they excel.

“We therefore find it strange that people can move from controversy to ambition without addressing the questions hanging over their names.”

The organisation called on the aspirant to immediately clear his name before throwing himself into the race, stressing that the allegations and public reports surrounding his academic credentials are too weighty to be ignored.

The organisation called on the National Secretariat of the PDP to immediately intervene and save the party the embarrassment, stressing that “We are watching events in Enugu and other parts of the country, and we would have issued this statement to congratulate the Enugu state chapter of the party if it screened out the former minister, because there is a moral burden there which is far beyond what the courts might eventually pronounce.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert