
News
FG blames Trump for fresh terror attacks in Nigeria
The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume, on Wednesday, said fresh attacks by terrorists and bandits in Nigeria were triggered by recent pronouncements made by the United States President Donald Trump.
Mr Akume, in a press statement addressing the evolution of violent extremism, banditry and ongoing security challenges in the West African country, said “recent pronouncements from the United States have inadvertently emboldened opportunistic violent groups seeking to exploit international narratives and make bold statements by attacking soft targets.”
The US leader in October designated Nigeria as a “country of particular concern” over allegations of a Christian genocide. He also threatened to suspend all U.S. assistance to Nigeria and deploy American troops to Nigeria to quell the unrest if the federal government refuses to address the alleged killings.
Trump had also announced his directive to the U.S. Department of War to prepare for “possible action” should the violence persist.
The SGF in his message on Wednesday claimed that insurgency networks had previously been significantly weakened and reduced to isolated banditry before Mr Trump’s statements, adding that some terror groups are now attempting to leverage those remarks to gain visibility.
“Before these statements, insurgency structures had been significantly degraded and reduced to isolated banditry. This resurgence underscores the vital need for collaboration—not public labelling—between Nigeria and the United States,” the statement said in part.
George Akume reiterated that Nigeria does not require foreign troops to tackle insecurity, insisting that the country’s armed forces are capable of defending the nation.

Akume stated that the military has regained occupied territories and significantly degraded the operational structures of Boko Haram and ISWAP in recent years.
However, he acknowledged that Nigeria still requires intelligence sharing, technological assistance, and advanced equipment from the United States and other international partners to enhance its ongoing counterterrorism efforts.
“The Nigerian Armed Forces are highly capable, experienced and professional. They have reclaimed vast territories, degraded Boko Haram/ISWAP leadership structures, and conducted successful multi-theatre operations.
“Nigeria does not require foreign troops. What is needed is targeted support from partners, especially the United States, in the areas of intelligence cooperation, technology and military equipment support for advanced engagement against the insurgents, ” he said.
Akume also rejected claims describing the conflict as a “Christian genocide,” stating that verified evidence shows insurgents and criminal groups have attacked both churches and mosques, killing Muslims and Christians.
He said that Nigeria remains a secular state and that government appointments reflect the country’s diversity.
He further added, “Nigeria rejects any characterisation of the conflict as a genocide against Christians or any group. Verified evidence shows that insurgents and criminal networks attack both churches and mosques, killing Muslims and Christians alike. The Government remains committed to protecting all citizens and strengthening cooperation with international partners—especially the United States—to dismantle extremist and criminal networks.
“Nigeria is a secular state as guaranteed by various provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 as amended. No state religion is adopted as a national religion and no citizen of Nigeria is above the Nigerian constitution.”
There has been an increase in terrorist and bandit attacks in recent weeks, especially with the killing of a military officer, abduction of school girls and the recent attack on a church in Kwara State.
News
‘Tinubu has called me, congratulated me,’ Adeleke says after Osun Re-election Victory
• Adeleke of the Accord Party, polled 511,067 votes to defeat APC’s Oyebamiji, who scored 444,815 votes
Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has revealed that President Bola Tinubu called and congratulated him shortly after he was declared winner of the August 15 governorship election.
Adeleke made the disclosure while speaking to journalists on Sunday after the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) declared him winner of the election.
He thanked President Tinubu for congratulating him, saying the president had contributed to the sustenance of democracy.
“I feel great. First of all, I thank the God Almighty for what has happened today. It’s a victory for democracy in Nigeria,” And, of course, I want to seize the opportunity to thank Mr President. Mr President has called me, and he has congratulated me, and I thank you, Mr President, for making sure democracy lives on because you fought for it, Mr President,” the governor said.
President Tinubu and Governor Adeleke have maintained a pragmatic relationship despite belonging to rival political parties. Despite their political differences, both leaders have maintained a cordial relationship, with Adeleke making high-profile visits to Tinubu and the President engaging with the Osun governor.

Victory for Osun people, Olive Branch
Speaking further, Adeleke said the result represented a victory for the people of Osun, who, according to him, had endorsed his administration’s performance in office.
“A victory for democracy. A victory for Osun people that stood by me and said, Imole, you have done a lot for us. You have given us the dividends of democracy in terms of infrastructure, improving our education, agriculture and so forth. So this is the Osun people saying, ‘Thank you, Mr Governor,’” he said.
The governor, who secured a second term after defeating his closest challenger, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress (APC), said his administration would focus on transforming Osun from a civil service-dependent state into an industrial hub.
“I will repay that thank you by making sure that I have a vision. My vision is to make sure that Osun State moves from a civil servant state to an industrial state. I will make sure, all across Osun State, development is on. I love you all, Osun State,” Adeleke said.
Adeleke also extended an olive branch to his opponents, describing the election as a contest without a victor or vanquished.
“Yes, this is no victor, no vanquished. I want them to come over. I’m expecting Oyebanji, even as a civilised person, to call me and congratulate me,” he said.
Asked whether he had ever feared that the election could go against him, Adeleke replied: “No. I have a God. I have a God who never fails.”
News
Osun: When the people stand, democracy wins, says Obi, congratulates Adeleke
The presidential candidate of the National Democratic Coalition (NDC), Peter Obi, has congratulated Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, on his re-election, describing the outcome of the governorship poll as a victory for democracy and the people.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Sunday morning declared Adeleke of the Accord Party as the winner of the 2026 Osun State governorship election.
Announcing the final results, INEC Returning Officer, Prof. Joshua Ogunwole, the Vice- Chancellor of the Federal University, Oye-Ekiti declared Adeleke winner and returned him elected.
Ogunwole announced that the Accord Party candidate secured 511,067 while his closest challenger, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress (APC) recorded 444,815 votes.
Adeleke trounced his major opponent with 66,252 votes amid wild jubilation by party supporters and other residents.

Reacting in a statement on his official X account, Obi said the people of Osun had spoken clearly through the ballot, while commending citizens, particularly youths, for defending their democratic mandate.
“I warmly congratulate Governor Ademola Adeleke on his re-election and the good people of Osun State on this important democratic victory,” Obi said.
“They, the people of Osun, have spoken with courage and clarity, reaffirming that the power to choose their leaders belongs to the people.
“Through his commitment to the people, compassion for their needs, and the strength of his work and achievements in office, Governor Ademola Adeleke has earned their renewed confidence and been entrusted once again with their mandate.
“I particularly commend the courageous youths of Osun who rose to the occasion and peacefully defended their democratic mandate.
“Their vigilance and determination demonstrate that when citizens stand firmly to protect their votes, the forces of good can overcome the forces of darkness.
“The lesson from Osun is clear: democracy is strongest when citizens are alert, conscious of their civic responsibility, and determined to ensure that their votes count.
“Every genuine vote must be respected, and every lawful mandate must be protected. This is also a clarion call as we approach 2027. Nigerians must remain informed, participate actively, vote, and protect their votes.
“The Nigerian people are the ones experiencing hunger, deprivation, insecurity, and hardship; therefore, they are also the ones with the power, through their votes, to bring about the change that will end these conditions.
“I urge all political actors to place the interests of the people above partisan considerations and to embrace peace, unity, and the rule of law.”
Obi warned that elections should never be battles of violence, but contests of ideas, competence, character, and service.
“May the Osun experience strengthen our confidence in the democratic process and inspire Nigerians everywhere to remain vigilant and committed to building a just, secure, prosperous, and truly people-centred nation. A New Nigeria is possible,” the former Governor of Anambra State added.
News
BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov election
Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, was on Sunday declared elected, having won 19 out of the 30 local government areas in the governorship election held across the state on Saturday.
The State Returning Officer, the Vice-Chancellor of the Federal University, Oye Ekiti, Prof Joshua Ogunwole, declared the result of the poll at about 7:24 am on Sunday.
Adeleke polled a total of 511067 votes to emerge victorious in the contest.
Ogunwole subsequently returned the governor to office for another term.
The incumbent Osun governor, who contested the poll on the platform of the Accord, defeated his closest challenger, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress, who won in 11 LG areas of the state.

While Adeleke won in Ede North, Ede South, Ejigbo, Iwo, Egbedore, Ife North, Ife East, Ife Central, Oriade, Ifelodun, Orolu, Ayedaade, Ayedire, Odo Otin, Boluwaduro, Ilesa West, Ifedayo, Osogbo and Ayedire local government areas.
Oyebamiji, however, won in Irewole, Isokan, Olorunda, Atakumosa East, Atakumosa West, Ilesa East, Boripe, Irepodun and Obokun local government areas.
Declaring the results, Ogunwole said, “Accredited voters, 1010684, total votes received by political parties, A, 511067, AA, 2308, AAC, 1458, ADC, 17180, ADP, 2946, APC, 444815, APGA, 1475, APM, 234, APP, 114, BP, 111, NNPP, 118, PRP, 83, SDP, 155, YPP, 534, ZLP, 2482, total valid votes, 985079, rejected votes, 207, total vote cast, 1,005,800.”
After agents of the political parties have signed the results of the election, the Returning Officer declared Adeleke of the Accord as the winner of the poll.
“That Ademola Nurudeen-Jackson Adeleke having satisfied the requirements of the law is hereby declare the winner of the August 15 Governorship election and returned elected,” Ogunwole said.
The candidate of the African Democratic Congress in the poll, Najeem Salaam, came third in the poll.
-
News3 days agoMammoth crowd as Peter Obi makes triumphant entry into Benin, dares Gov Okpebholo [VIDEO]
-
News3 days agoICPC exposes Payroll Scandal: Official paying 14 family members, another worker collects 13 salaries
-
News2 days agoPolice confirm release of abducted Jezco Chairman, Ezeokafor, Rev Sister
-
News19 hours agoBREAKING: Adeleke wins 19 LGs, APC’s Oyebamiji secures 11 LGs
-
News1 day agoKidnapping: My life in captivity — Justice Bunza
-
News1 day agoRigging Attempt: Police aiding APC to intimidate voters in Osun — Adeleke
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Election: APC, Accord wage N20,000-per-vote war
-
Politics18 hours agoOsun: The mourning after By Festus Adedayo




