Connect with us

News

Rivers youths fault ALGON, APC’s impeachment call on Fubara

Published

on

Rivers youths fault ALGON, APC’s impeachment call on Fubara

• Vow to safeguard the Gov

Rivers State youths have faulted the allegation leveled against the state Governor, Siminalayi Fubara to the effect that he was owing the Council chairmen some backlogs.

Similarly, the youths also reiterated their unwavering support for Governor Siminalayi Fbara and the welfare of the state amidst the call for his immediate impeachment by the State chapter of the All Progressives Congress, APC.

This resolute stance was articulated during a press briefing led by Amb. Chijioke Ihunwo, Chairman of the National Youth Council of Nigeria, NYCN, Rivers State chapter on Wednesday.

Amb. Ihunwo highlighted the youths’ determination to shield Governor Fubara from unwarranted criticism and insinuations, particularly from the chairman, caretaker committee of the Rivers State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

He urged Okocha to redirect his efforts towards fulfilling his duties as the representative on the board of the NDDC, questioning the efficacy of his tenure despite substantial allocations.

Ihunwo cautioned Okocha against further attacks on the governor’s office, warning that such actions can breed unpalatable repercussions and threatened to organize protests in Abuja should such actions persist.

The youth leader also called upon President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to intervene and curb Okocha’s inflammatory rhetoric, which he argued posed a threat to peace in Rivers State.

Amb. Ihunwo reaffirmed the readiness of Rivers youths to “thwart any attempts at impeaching Governor Fubara by lawmakers whose seats have been declared vacant in accordance with constitutional provisions”.

Advertisement

The NYCN chairman also criticized Local Government Area (LGA) chairmen for using the Association of Local Governments of Nigeria (ALGON) platform to level baseless accusations against the governor’s administration.

SEE ALSO:  36 Speakers back establishment of State Police

He expressed bewilderment at their sudden activism and questioned their silence during the previous administration which owed them up to the last month of their tenure.

Ihunwo however issued a stern ultimatum, announcing their impending removal from office on June 18th, 2024.

Advertisements

News

Alleged N80bn Fraud: Yahaya Bello to appear in court for trial today

Published

on

Ex-Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello

After several months of hide-and-seek between the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the former governor of Kogi state, Alhaji Yahaya Bello, the ex-governor is expected to appear before the Federal High Court in Abuja on June 13 for arraignment on the corruption charge against him.

The former governor, through his lawyer, finally agreed to submit himself to the court at the last adjourned date.

Bello’s lead counsel, Abdulwahab Mohammed, gave the undertaking to Justice Emeka Nwite on May 10, shortly after the court rejected the defendant’s request for suspension of trial.

According to him, the former governor was not afraid of arraignment but of the safety of his life in the hands of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in Abuja.

He said the life of his client has been under consistent threats in Abuja, hence his decision to go underground for safety.

The agreement to submit to court trial was informed by Justice Nwite’s remarks that the EFCC, as a law-abiding body, would not do anything contrary to the provisions of the law.

The judge said Bello was not the first former governor to be merely invited by the anti-graft agency and would not be the last.

The judge also said that the charges are based on allegations that have not been proved, adding that the law presumes any accused person innocent until proven otherwise.

Advertisement

He advised the senior lawyer to prevail on his client to respect the law and order of the court as a law-abiding person.

SEE ALSO:  President Ebrahim Raisi: What we know about deadly Iran helicopter crash

Bello’s lawyer, responding to the admonition, thanked the Judge for the hint, adding that, with the assurance that the EFCC would not do anything untoward, the former governor would be brought to court.

“All my client needs is just an assurance for the safety of his life, which has been under threat for some time in Abuja.”

The lawyer requested for four weeks to bring his client before the court.

He said Bello would, however, come to the court instead of the EFCC to take his plea in the charges.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

‘I did my Dobale’, Tinubu breaks silence on Democracy Day fall at Eagle Square

Published

on

Minimum Wage: FG denies offering N105,000
President Bola Tinubu

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu late yesterday, Wednesday, June 12, 2024, broke his silence on a viral video on social media where he missed his steps and tripped earlier in the day during the proceedings at the Democracy Day Parade at Eagle Square, Abuja.

Speaking at the Democracy Day Dinner, Tinubu, a Yoruba from South West Nigeria, said tongue-in-cheek that he was only performing a traditional Yoruba gesture of respect.

“Early this morning, I had a swagger and it is on social media. They are confused on whether I was doing Buga or doing Babariga but it is a day to celebrate democracy while doing ‘dobale’ for the day. I am a traditional Yoruba boy and I did my Dobale,”

The president also underscored the importance of national orientation and collective effort in fostering a prosperous future for the country.

“Nigeria is blessed, our complexity, our diversity is there, but is the best road to success. Whatever we have to invest in our national orientation, we have to do it,” Tinubu declared, stressing the need for a concerted effort to instill a sense of service and patriotism among Nigerians.

He also noted that the nation’s national anthem encapsulated the essence of service, a value he observed being practiced by many governors across the country.

He expressed his gratitude to the governors, acknowledging their dedication to serving their people irrespective of their political affiliations.

“We include in our national anthem, the essence of service. I have seen many governors, both live and on tv, serving their people. They belong to other parties and many of them are here tonight. Thank you, Governor Eno, of Akwa Ibom, thank you Governor Okpara, my comrade from Kaduna, thank you, Sheriff and Abia, thank you. If I miss you, forgive me. Everybody has forgotten the partisanship column and embraced that green, white, green that depicts Nigeria.”

Advertisement

Acknowledging criticisms of the national anthem, he called on governors to redouble their efforts in fostering a sense of duty and national character among citizens.

SEE ALSO:  Enugu govt begins construction of Smart City with 22,000 structures

“Citizenship is not just the dictionary meaning of it, it is the actual character. Let us teach this to our children, so that Nigeria collectively, we will do the job that we are called upon to do as both family or nation under God almighty,” Tinubu urged.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

NLC counters Tinubu, says no agreement reached with FG on minimum wage

Published

on

Minimum wage: Govs who can't pay should resign - Labour
NLC President, Joe Ajaero and other union leaders

The Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) says it has not reached an agreement with the federal government on the minimum wage.

In his Democracy Day speech on Wednesday, President Bola Tinubu said the federal government has negotiated with organized organised labour “in good faith and with open arms” on a new national minimum wage.

The president added that an executive bill on the minimum wage would be sent to the national assembly “to enshrine what has been agreed upon as part of our law for the next five years or less”.

In a statement on Wednesday night, NLC said the president may have been misinformed regarding the outcome of the wage negotiation process.

“We appreciate the President’s commitment to those fine democratic ideals which allowed the work of the Tripartite National Minimum Wage Negotiation Committee to proceed unhindered despite some hiccups,” the statement reads.

“However, we had expected Mr. President to have used this understanding as one of those who was in the vanguard of the struggle with us around the nation to rescue Nigeria from the hands of the military to harmonize the two figures submitted to him by the Tripartite Committee in favour of workers and masses. It would have been a fitting Democracy Day gift.

“The NIC would have expected that the advisers of the President would have told him that we neither reached any agreement with the federal government and the employers on the base figure for a National Minimum Wage nor on its other components.”

The NLC said its demand still remains N250,000, adding that it has not been given any compelling reasons to change this position.

Advertisement

“We are therefore surprised at the submission of Mr. President over a supposed agreement. We believe that he may have been misled into believing that there was an agreement with the NLC and TUC,” the labour body added.

SEE ALSO:  N50,000 grant: 402,283 beneficiaries get N20bn

“There was none, and it is important that we let the president, Nigerians, and other national stakeholders understand this immediately to avoid a mix up in the ongoing conversation around the national minimum wage.

“We have also not seen a copy of the document submitted to him and will not accept any doctored document.

“However, we want to reaffirm our belief that the President, on whose table the Tripartite Committee’s report presently resides, will prepare an executive bill which content will reflect the true demand of Nigerian workers.

“We think that this is an opportunity for him to demonstrate his love for Nigerian workers and the masses by shunning the pieces of advice that may be coming from those whose intentions are continuously focused on hurting the poor and struggling workers of Nigeria.”

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Trending