
News
Bandits attack Immigration post, kill 2 personnel in Kebbi
Its State Command’s Spokesperson, DSI Abdullahi Isa, disclosed this in a statement in Birnin Kebbi on Wednesday.
He said: “On a sad note, on Monday, Jan. 15, 2024, a group of suspected bandits lunched an attack on Immigration Officers at Garin Garba entry point, about 12 Kilometers away from Kangiwa headquarters of Arewa Local Government Area of Kebbi.
“As a result, two gallant officers lost their lives. They are: Isa Nafi’u (II) NIS No. 34057 and Garba Haruna Fana (II) NIS No. 17796.”
The spokesperson confirmed that the third officer escaped unharmed.
He revealed that the two deceased had been buried in Birnin Kebbi according to Islamic Injunction.
“May the Almighty Allah in His infinite mercy forgive their shortcomings and grant them Jannatil Firdaus and give their immediate families the fortitude to bear the irreplaceable loss,” he said.

NAN

News
Presidency denies plan to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia law
• Says viral report aimed at causing political tension ahead of polls
• APC will collapse without power, says ADC, plans One Million-Man March
The Presidency has dismissed as false and misleading a viral report alleging that President Bola Tinubu plans to initiate constitutional amendments to rename Nigeria as the ‘United States of Nigeria’ and abolish Sharia law in the North.
But the opposition African Democratic Congress (ADC) has declared that the only factor holding the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) is political power.
The National Publicity Secretary of the ADC, Bolaji Abdullahi, stated this yesterday at the launch of the Rise Up Naija Movement (RUN) at the party’s National Secretariat in Abuja.
The Presidency stated, yesterday, that the report, which cited unnamed sources, was entirely fabricated and designed to create disaffection, provoke political unrest and destabilise the country ahead of the general elections.
It urged Nigerians to disregard the publication in its entirety, describing those behind it as “agents of destabilisation and merchants of disorder.”
According to the statement, President Tinubu has no intention of sponsoring any proposed legislation code-named “Project True Federation” or transmitting such a bill to the National Assembly before the elections.

“The Presidency wishes to state clearly that there is no truth whatsoever in the viral fake story claiming that President Tinubu seeks constitutional amendments to change Nigeria’s name to the United States of Nigeria and abolish Sharia law in the northern region, among other claims,” the statement reads.
It further stressed that the procedures for constitutional amendment are clearly defined under Nigerian law and cannot be carried out arbitrarily.
“Constitutional amendments are serious matters requiring extensive legislative scrutiny, broad consultation and national debate. The process is not at the whim of either the President or the National Assembly. It requires a two-thirds majority in both chambers of the National Assembly, as well as the concurrence of at least 24 Houses of Assembly,” it added.
The Presidency said Tinubu remains focused on implementing ongoing economic reforms and delivering tangible benefits to Nigerians rather than engaging in divisive political distractions.
The statement also cautioned citizens against spreading or consuming fake and inflammatory reports, warning that misinformation is likely to increase as political activities intensify ahead of the general elections.
Abdullahi said, at present, only ADC represents the future of politics in Nigeria, as it is built on the philosophy of egalitarianism, where conversations are tolerated.
He added that ADC sees the unveiling of the movement as a responsibility to provide a space for younger people and prepare them for leadership.
The ADC spokesperson expressed confidence that the movement would be useful when the party forms the government, especially to check potential distractions from the real issues after gaining power.
Abdullahi said: “With what has happened to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), which is tragic in the context, I have no doubt in my mind that the only thing holding the APC together today is power. When you take political power, government power out of the APC, you don’t have a political party.
“This party, ADC, represents the future of politics in Nigeria. It’s the only party built on the philosophy of egalitarianism. It’s the only party you can belong to, and nobody will tell you what to do and what not to do. It’s the only party where we have conversations; we don’t direct people on what to do.”

News
Defence Headquarters releases full details of terrorist group behind Oyo school attack
The Defence Headquarters has said the recent kidnap incident in Oyo State was carried out by terrorists displaced from other parts of the country following intensified military operations.
The military authority disclosed this on Thursday while reacting to what it described as “mischievous and misleading publications” surrounding comments credited to the Defence Headquarters on the classification of terrorists and criminal elements operating in the South-West.
In a statement signed by the Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj Gen Michael Onoja, the DHQ said the attackers behind the Oyo abduction were members of the Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad terrorist group displaced by sustained military offensives across the country.
“The recent incidence of kidnap in Oyo State was clearly perpetrated by terrorists of the JAS Group that have been dislodged from other parts of the country due to high-intensity operations being conducted all over,” the statement read.
The statement also stressed that the Armed Forces of Nigeria remained committed to supporting constitutional governance and protecting democratic institutions.
“At no time did the Defence Headquarters undermine the authority of any democratically elected leader or seek to diminish the gravity of the heinous crime committed against innocent citizens by terrorist elements,” the statement added.

The DHQ further disclosed that troops remained actively deployed across affected areas in collaboration with other security agencies and local stakeholders to dismantle terrorist and criminal networks threatening national peace and stability.
“The Armed Forces of Nigeria remain resolute in dismantling all criminal and terrorist networks threatening the peace, stability and unity of the nation,” the statement said.
The clarification followed recent attacks on communities in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, where armed terrorists abducted pupils, teachers and other residents from Community High School, Ahoro-Esinle.
The incident also left several persons dead, while one of the abducted teachers, Michael Oyedokun, was later killed after a video linked to the attack surfaced online.

News
Carnival as Enugu APC Turns Out En Masse to Affirm Mbah Guber Candidate
…As Governor extols Enugu APC as model for internal democracy
Enugu State Governor, Dr. Peter Mbah, is poised to secure the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship ticket, as party members turned out en masse across the state’s 260 wards on Thursday to participate in the governorship primary election, where he was the sole aspirant.
Although collation was still ongoing as at press time, Mbah looks good to clinch the party’s ticket, as members predicated their support for his second tenure on his outstanding performance in the last three years.
At Owo Ward, Nkanu East Local Government Area, where Governor Mbah participated and was received by party faithful in their thousands, the crowd affirmed Mbah’s candidature with a roaring ‘yes’ when the panel comprising Prince Arinze Arum, Mrs. Ngozi Eni, and Barr. Osinachi Nnajieze put the question.

Speaking, the Ward Chairman, Hon. Emmanuel Mbah, and Member representing Nkanu East/Nkanu West Federal Constituency, Hon. Nnolim Nnaji, said Mbah’s reelection was sacrosanct for the people of Enugu State, adding that the governor had become a reference point in good governance in Nigeria.
“I have gone to vote in my own ward before coming here. The same thing that is happening here is happening concurrently in the 260 wards across the state and reports are very good. Anyone who knows the state of affairs in Enugu State before you came in would know that a lot of changes have taken place.

“It is not enough to get power. What you use the power for matters more. But Peter Mbah is called the Rock because of how he is using power to do mighty things. Today in Nigeria, you cannot talk about three governors that are performing without counting our own governor among them,” Hon. Nnaji said.

In his remarks, Governor Mbah said the direct primary election in Enugu APC had been a fruitful and unique exercise underlined by internal democracy and the people speaking directly to office seekers.
“Just yesterday (Wednesday), we concluded the direct primaries of all the 24 State Constituencies. It is interesting to note that of those 24 seats, we did not have any two persons that picked forms to vie for one office.
“It is no different with the primary exercises for the Senate and House of Representatives. In fact, in the constituency where we had a second person, in the course of the process, he wrote a letter to the party withdrawing from the contest and pledging his total commitment to support the other candidate.

“Today again, I am the sole aspirant for the governorship ticket of our party. And it has not happened by accident or coercion or cowardice. It happened because our people are not cowardly. It has happened because our people are smart. Our people are wise and they know what is good when they see one.
“So, because we have not created division or disharmony among ourselves, Enugu State APC is largely becoming the standard bearer of what grassroots politics and democracy should be. We are also increasingly becoming a model of how to manage internal politics,” he stated.
He urged party members to remain united going into the 2027 general election in order to record resounding victories.
“This is because once you begin to experience those divisions, implosions, and attrition, then you have already started diminishing your support base, even before you get to the general elections. So, this is why what we have done as a party over the primaries exercises is very, very important,” he concluded.
Meanwhile, all eyes are now on the Hon. Danmalikin Hausa-led APC Committee for the Governorship Primary Election in Enugu State, which also visited several locations to monitor the exercise, to conclude the collation of results and formally announce the outcome, which many expect to confirm Mbah as the APC gubernatorial candidate for Enugu State.

-
News3 days agoActivities grounded at Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital Enugu as Workers begin indefinite strike over Same-Scale Promotion
-
President Bola Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima
President Bola Tinubu and Vice President Kashim ShettimaNews3 days ago‘Some people told Tinubu I wanted to kill him, take over Power’, Says Vice President Shettima
-
News2 days agoBREAKING: Fubara withdraws from APC governorship primaries
-
News2 days agoTerrorists have infiltrated no less than 40 South-West LGs — Gani Adams
-
News2 days agoAnambra denies introducing new burial law
-
News2 days agoEkweremadu’s Mother-in-Law for Burial 28th May
-
News2 days agoAPC Enugu announces Senatorial primary results, Presents Certificates of Return to winners
-
News13 hours agoCarnival as Enugu APC Turns Out En Masse to Affirm Mbah Guber Candidate




