Connect with us

News

Bodies of 11 Fulani arrested by soldiers found in Kaduna forest

Published

on

Bodies of 11 Fulani arrested by soldiers found in Kaduna forest
• Some of the arrested Fulani suspects
Spread the love
Eleven decomposing corpses of Fulani from Tulde Fulbe, Ladduga Grazing Reserve in Kachia Local Government Area of Kaduna State, were on Monday discovered in a forest located near an area called “Crossing” within the local government area.

The bodies, Daily Trust gathered, were identified by relatives and community members as those of the Fulani allegedly arrested by soldiers in the area at different times.

Relatives and other members of the community, who could not hold back tears, took the pains of putting their loved ones in sacks after driving for over 30 minutes to get to the location where the bodies were allegedly dumped because they were decomposing.

The victims, namely Safiyanu Adamu, Abdulkadir Idris, Akilu Abdullahi, Ibrahim Abubakar, Magaji Umar, Said Saleh, Abdulaziz Yusuf, Ibrahim Sani, Musa Dan Asabe, Nura Yusuf and Nuru Magaji were said to have been arrested by soldiers.

But when contacted, the Army Headquarters in Abuja referred one of our reporters to the 1st Division of the Nigerian Army in Kaduna.

When contacted the army officials in Kaduna said they don’t kill suspects in their custody.

Maduka College Advert

‘They intercepted us while taking my son to hospital’

Adamu Idris, who is the father of one of the victims, Safiyanu Adamu, alleged that he was taking his son to a hospital after being involved in an accident when he was arrested by the soldiers.

He narrated: “My son had an accident on a motorcycle on his way back from Maulud celebration. I was at home when the news came to me. I was taking my son who was bleeding from his mouth to a hospital when the soldiers stopped us, took him and told us they were taking him to Abuja. They accused my son of being a thief, an accusation, which I denied. Before they left, they (soldiers) collected the N18,000 cash I was holding to pay my son’s hospital bills.

“A week after his arrest, I was informed that his corpse had been found. I want justice for my son and all the other victims. The soldiers in the area are taking advantage of us, the Fulani. The government should wade in and bring the earring soldiers to face the wrath of the law”, said Malam Adamu.

Another member of the community, Ayuba Muhammad, accused soldiers of raiding their homes and taking their property.

He called on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Governor Uba Sani to come to their aid and end “the injustice being meted on Fulani in Ladduga.”

He said: “On the 28th of December, 2023, soldiers came into the community before a place called “Crossing” and killed three of our people. We do not know what their offence was, but we know them to be good people because even if we go to the police station here in Ladduga, you will find out that they have no records.

“We called the police to see the corpses, they made their report and gave us permission to bury the corpses. We thought it was over, but unfortunately, it was not. So far, 11 people have been killed. They were arrested by soldiers and their corpses were found near the Navy Barracks in the area.

“On the 30th of December, 2023, soldiers came to the “Crossing” market, they arrested some people and shot at Nuhu Yusuf in broad daylight. After that, they entered the village, took more people and raided some houses and took N30,000 from one of the houses. In another house, they went away with a bag of ginger, which was being dried. After that, they again came into our community in the night, raided some houses and went away with motorcycles and ginger.

“We do not know our crime. We are law abiding citizens here in Ladduga, and we do not harbour criminals. We have continuously supported the security agencies in a bid to have peace in our community”, said Malam Ayuba.

Also, Suleiman Abdullahi, a relation of Nuru Magaji, one of the victims, narrated: “Last Saturday, we were taking tea early in the morning at the tea seller’s shop in the community when soldiers came asking how much was the cost of sugarcane. We told them that the sugarcane seller was partially deaf and so they had to come closer and speak louder.

“As we were drinking our tea, the soldiers called my relation, Nuru Magaji and took him to the front of their vehicle and they asked him what was this. I did not really hear what they were saying, but the next thing I heard them say was ‘enter the car’. There was another man selling grains called Nura; the soldiers pulled him towards their vehicle and shot him. That was how we all ran for safety. That’s all I saw, and the next thing, their corpses were found. We want to call on the government to address this issue of intimidation and injustice by soldiers.”

However, Abubakar Muhammad, a relation of Akilu Abdullahi, said the victim went to the market and was arrested by soldiers.

“We did not hear from them since the arrest until their corpses were found,” he said.

He also corroborated the allegation that the soldiers stole ginger, motorcycles, cash and other valuables from members of the community.

He wondered what had changed in the atmosphere under which they have been living in that community, saying: “We have been living peacefully in this community since the days of our grandparents up till date.”

The Village Head of Tilde Fulbe, Ladduga Grazing Reserve, Muhammad Yusuf, accused the soldiers of arresting and killing innocent Fulani without proper investigation.

He called for proper investigation into the matter.

We’re looking into the matter – Kaduna govt

When contacted, the Overseeing Commissioner, Ministry of Internal Security and Home Affairs, Kaduna State, Samuel Aruwan, confirmed receipt of a complaint by the Fulani leaders.

“We have received their complaint and we will look into it. Our doors are open and we will investigate. While we appeal for calm, we will look at the possibility of engaging them to understand what truly happened,” the commissioner assured. We don’t kill suspects in our custody,” he said.

One of our correspondents approached the spokesman for the Nigerian Army, Maj. Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu, for comment, but he said One Division in Kaduna would avail Daily Trust with necessary reactions.

The Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, 1 Division Headquarters Kaduna, Lieutenant Colonel Musa Yahaya confirmed that troops of Operation Whirl Punch picked up a suspected bandit. He, however, said the suspect in their custody is alive and aiding investigation that will lead to the capture of one other suspect at large.

He said, “The Commanding Officer of Operation Whirl Punch has confirmed that troops picked up a suspected bandit near crossing in Kachia Local Government Area and recovered a weapon from him. He is currently in their custody and is aiding investigation.

“Acting of credible intelligence, troops of the division stormed Tilden Fulani on 30 December 2023 during which one Mr Ibrahim was arrested as suspect for involvement in terrorist activities and insurgency. The suspect is currently in our custody and had confessed to be involved in insurgency. He has further volunteered information that will assist the troops in subsequent operation.   The troops did not molest anybody or killed anyone as alleged.

“On 21 December 2023 along Maro-Katul Crossing in Kachia Local Government Area of Kaduna State, troops of 1 Division while responding to a kidnap incident neutralized three kidnappers.

“The kidnap victim, one Mr. Rabiu Ahmed was stabbed and dispossessed by the suspects who fled when troops approached. Items recovered from the kidnappers include two machetes, the motorcycle dispossessed from the victim and 2 x mobile phones recovered from them alongside the sum of N15, 000 which they also collected from the victim. The victim was taken to a military medical facility where he was treated and his motorcycle and other belongings where returned to him,” he said.

Daily Trust

News

1,844 killed in South-East in two years — Amnesty International reports

Published

on

Spread the love

…Demands probe into alleged rights abuse 

Amnesty International has re-launched two reports documenting alleged human rights violations in the South-East and called on governments and security agencies to end impunity, unlawful abductions, torture and killings.

The reports, “A Decade of Impunity: Attacks and Unlawful Killings in South-East Nigeria” and “Tiger Base of Atrocities: Human Rights Violations by Nigeria Police Anti-Kidnapping Unit in Owerri,” were unveiled in Umuahia on Wednesday.

Benedicta Ofili, Finance and Office Manager at Amnesty International Nigeria, said the organisation documented at least 1,844 deaths between 2021 and mid-2023 involving non-state armed groups, state-backed outfits and security operations.

Ofili also highlighted allegations of arbitrary detention, enforced disappearances, extortion and deaths in custody, particularly at the Anti-Kidnapping Unit popularly known as Tiger Base in Imo State.

She said Amnesty interviewed 23 former detainees, including 14 women, and recorded cases of torture and poor detention conditions.

Maduka College Advert

Three of those interviewed reportedly died after detention.

The organisation said insecurity has caused displacement, disruption of education, loss of livelihoods and restrictions on movement due to sit-at-home orders.

Amnesty demanded independent investigations, prosecution of perpetrators, reparations for victims, and stronger accountability by state and federal authorities.

The presentation was followed by emotional testimonies from tearful relatives of persons allegedly abducted by security operatives as they chorused, “we don’t know where they are.”

Miriam Onyema, weeping, said her husband, Kingsley Chinedu, was arrested on April 25, 2021, at Hospital Junction, Imo State, and labelled an IPOB member. She said all efforts to locate him failed.

Esther Chinedu told the gathering that her husband, Pastor Godspower Chinedu, was arrested in 2022 and has not been seen since despite repeated searches at police detention facilities.

Caroline Chukwuma said her husband, Chukwuma Nwokike, was allegedly abducted in 2021 at St. Paul Junction, Aba, and detained at CPS Aba. She said lawyers were denied access before he was allegedly transferred to Abuja.

Chinwendu Chidiebere said her husband, Chidiebere Ekwe, was arrested at his workshop in Aba on June 22, 2021, and taken to CPS Aba where the family was denied access.

Nicolas Ejekwu, an elderly man, tearfully recounted how soldiers arrested his sons, Obinna and Onyebuchi, at home. He said he was later told they were tortured and killed, with their bodies deposited at FMC Umuahia mortuary.

He added that over 50 bodies of youths allegedly killed by security agencies on suspicion of IPOB membership were found at the mortuary.

Cecilia Nmaoche said her son, Christian Ifeanyi, was allegedly abducted in 2022 and has not been seen or heard from since.

The families appealed to Amnesty and the government to help locate their loved ones and ensure those arrested are charged to court instead of being detained indefinitely.

The Attorney General of Abia, represented by Chinenye Onyemanonu, said the state has zero tolerance for abuses and forwards complaints to the Citizens’ Rights Department.

He cited a case where a family detained for six months was rescued.

Human rights activist Samuel Agwu urged rights groups to ensure victims get justice and legal representation, calling for an end to what he described as a culture of impunity in the region. (Arise News)

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu unveils APC presidential campaign council, appoints self as chairman

Published

on

P Shettima and President Tinubu
Spread the love

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has released a list of members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council.

The list was released in a statement by Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President (Information and Strategy), on Saturday.
He noted that members of the APC Presidential Campaign Council (has been) constituted; Abdulaziz Yari to serve as DG, Uzodimma secretary President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima will serve as chairman and vice chairman, respectively.

APC National Secretary, Ajibola Bashiru, and Hadiza Bala-Usman will serve as Deputy Secretary and Assistant Secretary respectively.
According to the statement, “The Chairman of the Campaign Council, President Tinubu, will work with a body of advisers comprising Chief Bisi Akande, Chief Segun Osoba, Senator Rochas Okorocha, Senator Abdullahi Adamu, and Senator Florence Ita Giwa.’

The statement further read: “Senate President Godswill Akpabio, Speaker Tajudeen Abbas, and Governor Mai Mala Buni of Yobe State have been assigned as Deputy Directors-General for the campaign in the South and the North. They will work with Senator Bamidele Opeyemi and Senator Jibril Barau in the two zones.

“Senator Adams Oshiomhole will serve as Deputy Director-General in charge of mobilisation, while the President’s Chief of Staff will serve as Deputy Director-General for Administration.
“James Abiodun Faleke, who played a pivotal role in the 2022/2023 campaign, has returned as Deputy Director-General for Election Planning, Coordination and Monitoring.

Maduka College Advert

“Faleke will work with zonal directors, with Senator Olushola Adeyeye in the South-West, Dr Ngozi Olejeme in the South-South, Senator Uche Ekwunife in the South-East, Muntaqha Rabe in the North-West, Ahmed Muhammed Ketso in the North-Central, and Senator Sani Danladi in the North-East.

“Ms Stella Okotete, Engineer Abdullahi Garba Ramat and Audu Maikori will serve as Secretaries of the Election Planning Directorate.

“Muiz Adeyemi Banire will lead the Legal Directorate as Director, with Dr Liman Hassan and Babatunde Ogala as deputies. Other members are Prince Lateef Fagbemi, former Governor Ibrahim Shema, Worgu Boms and Dr Kingsley Tochukwu Udeh.

“The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris Malagi, will serve as the Coordinating Director for Media and Strategic Communication, along with Dele Alake, Bayo Onanuga, and Lanre Issa-Onilu.
“The Media Directorate also includes Tunde Rahman, Sunday Dare, Daniel Bwala, and Felix Morka, who have been assigned as Coordinating Deputy Directors.

“As we march into the campaign season, we have many achievements to trumpet—let us confidently showcase our record and inspire hope in every corner of our nation. Let us soundly defeat all those forces who plan to take our country backwards.”

Continue Reading

News

APC Chairman slumps, dies during reconciliation meeting in Kogi

Published

on

Late Oyewole Mayowa Solomom
Spread the love

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in the Ijumu Local Government Area of Kogi State was thrown into deep mourning on Friday following the sudden death of its local government chairman, Oyewole Mayowa Solomon.

Solomon reportedly slumped during a peace and reconciliation meeting held at the Iyara Town Hall, the administrative headquarters of the local government area.

According to participants, the meeting was in progress when the late party leader suddenly collapsed, causing instant confusion, panic, and devastation among the political leaders and delegates in attendance.

Efforts were made immediately to resuscitate him before he was rushed to a medical facility in neighboring Kabba.

Unfortunately, he was pronounced dead shortly after his arrival at the hospital.

Maduka College Advert

Reports said the peace meeting was convened by Funsho Olumoko, a former chairman of the Ijumu Local Government Area who was recently tasked by the Ijumu Consultative Forum to harmonize political interests within the region.

The session aimed to reconcile factions, resolve internal disputes, and foster unity among stakeholders ahead of future political engagements.

The peace initiative followed an earlier meeting in Iyara where APC stakeholders endorsed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Kogi State Governor Ahmed Usman Ododo for second terms.

However, the previous initiative had experienced visible friction over local government leadership, culminating in a walkout by the deceased and several top government functionaries.

Friday’s follow-up meeting was meant to bridge those divides, bringing together selected political leaders, local government and ward executives, women and youth leaders, and government appointees representing all 15 wards of Ijumu LGA.

However, the sudden passing of Solomon has delivered a major shockwave to the political landscape in Kogi West, casting a heavy shadow over ongoing efforts to unify party ranks ahead of the 2027 general elections.

As of press time, the exact cause of his death has not been officially disclosed, just as no formal statement has been received from the APC state executive and local authorities on the development ..

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert