Connect with us

News

Gov. Mbah: Appeal Court verdict consistent with our people-given mandate, a Victory for Enugu’s Development

Published

on

Enugu orders biometric verification of all Local Govt Staff
• Enugu State Governor, Dr. Peter Mbah
Spread the love

Governor of Enugu State, Dr. Peter Mbah, has hailed the judgment of the Court of Appeal, Lagos, which upheld his victory in the March 18, 2023 governorship election in the state, saying it was consistent with the mandate freely given to him by the people of Enugu State.

Mbah also described the verdict as victory for the people and transformation of the state in line with his manifesto, assuring that he would never fail the people.

He further said the judgment had put paid to falsehoods peddled to malign the people’s government.

Reacting to the appellate court’s verdict, Mbah said: “as you are aware, a few minutes ago, the Court of Appeal in Lagos, dismissed an appeal filed against us by the Labour Party of gubernatorial candidate.

“The judgment of the appellate court is consistent with an earlier dismissal of the same matter filed before the Enugu State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal; and both judgments are in line with the mandate freely given to us by the great people of Enugu State in the March 18 gubernatorial election. They further reaffirmed our belief in the judiciary as the last hope of the common man.

“Let me also say this as a lawyer: this judgment reaffirms my belief and trust in the irrevocable will of the judiciary.

• Governor Peter Mbah addressing Ndi Enugu at the Government House on Friday

“I want to use this opportunity to commend the Justices of the Court of Appeal for standing firmly by the sacredness of the temple of justice.

SEE ALSO:  BREAKING: Tinubu announces New Minimum Wage

“I want to also thank the great people of Enugu State for their endurance in the face of palpable untruths purveyed just to paint their government black. Therefore, with this judgment, we are going to deploy more energy and commitment to bring development at the doorsteps of Ndi Enugu.

“Permit me also to state that this is not a victory for Peter Mbah as a governor; it is victory for water that will run nonstop in Enugu city homes in less than 20 days from today. It is also a victory that would make the length and breadth of Enugu State a road construction site. It is also a victory that would ensure that we have smart schools across the 260 Wards of Enugu State.

Advertisement

“Let me assure Ndi Enugu that we are not going to let them down. We are going to deploy every breath and fiber of our being to consolidate on the gains we have made so far. Again, I want to express my profound gratitude to the great people of Ndi Enugu for their tremendous support and unimpeachable trust they reposed in us. We will never fail them. Indeed, the long awaited tomorrow is right here with us”.

Advertisements
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Peter Obi should be held responsible for anarchy arising from August 1 hunger protest – Presidency

Published

on

Bayo Onanuga
Spread the love

Bayo Onanuga, a senior to President Bola Tinubu, has alleged that supporters Mr Peter Obi, former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, LP, are planning mayhem in Nigeria.

Onanuga claimed that the proposed nationwide protests were being planned by Obi’s supporters, whom he described as failed presidential candidate.

According to him, Obi should be held responsible for whatever crisis that would emanate from the action.

In a post on his X handle on Saturday, Onanuga said the proposed protest planners are also the same people who were instigated by the incarcerated IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu to launch the destructive ENDSARS protest in Nigeria in October 2020.

He wrote: “REVEALED: Peter Obi’s supporters are the people planning mayhem in Nigeria: Obi should be held responsible for anarchy

“Don’t be fooled: the malcontents planning to stage nationwide protests are supporters of Peter Obi, the failed presidential candidate of the Labour Party. And he should be held responsible for whatever crisis emanates from the action.

“The protest planners are also the same people who were instigated by IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu to launch the destructive ENDSARS protest in Nigeria in October 2020. ENDSARS began as a genuine protest by youths against the Police Special Anti-Robbery Squad, notorious for its high-handedness. IPOB members planning to extricate the South East region from Nigeria infiltrated the protest and hijacked it for their own agenda. Lagos still bears the scar of the malicious destruction by IPOB elements until today.

“Two years after ENDSARS, the IPOB and the gullible innocents joined the Labour Party in 2022 to support Peter Obi, a sympathiser of their cause.

Advertisement

They are the people spreading the hashtags ‘EndBadGovernance’, ‘Tinubu Must Go,’ and ‘Revolution2024’. They are not democrats but anarchists. They are attempting to call out our people via propaganda because their Messiah, Peter Obi, failed to win the Presidency in the 2023 election. As bad losers, they don’t have the patience to wait for another election in 2027; they would rather destabilise Nigeria by staging a civilian coup against President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  Tension heightens in crisis-torn Oruku community as court grants bail to prime suspect in monarch’s murder
Continue Reading

News

Two brothers drown in FCT River

Published

on

Two brothers drown in FCT River
•The river behind the village
Spread the love
Two brothers, Joshua and Samson, have drowned in a river in Robukya community in Kwali Ward in Kuje Area Council of the FCT.

A relation of the deceased, Musa Abednego, who confirmed the incident to our reporter on Thursday, said it happened on Tuesday around 9am while they were crossing the river.

He said the brothers, Joshua and Samson, were between the ages of nine and 12 and that they were on their way to the farm when the incident happened.

He explained that the victims got drowned following a heavy rainfall which made the river to overflow.

He said, “Their father asked them to hold on after the rain subsided. Unfortunately, they left home to the farm without him knowing.”

Abednego said their corpses were recovered on Wednesday around 4pm through the help of some fishermen, adding they had been buried.

The spokeswoman of the FCT Police Command, SP Josephine Adeh, was yet to speak on the incident.                                              Daily Trust

Advertisements
SEE ALSO:  Police fire on demonstrators trying to storm Kenya parliament, several dead
Continue Reading

News

CBN intervenes in foreign exchange market

Published

on

CBN intervenes in foreign exchange market
Central Bank of Nigeria
Spread the love
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has started selling foreign exchange on a regular basis through Authorised Dealer Banks and licensed Bureaux De Change (BDCs) as a response to the current fluctuations in the foreign exchange market.

These fluctuations are primarily caused by the demand pressure coming from corporate entities and the seasonal increase typical during the summer period.

By implementing regular sales of foreign exchange, the CBN aims to stabilise the market and ensure smoother transactions for both businesses and individuals involved in foreign exchange activities.

Director, Financial Markets Department of the CBN Dr Omolara Omotunde Duke in a statement on Friday night assured the public of the bank’s commitment to address the demand pressure and stabilize the foreign exchange market.

Highlighting recent transactions, the CBN disclosed that it sold a total sum of US$106,500,000.00 to 29 authorized dealer banks on Thursday, July 18 and Friday, July 19, 2024.

These transactions took place within an exchange rate range of N1,498.00/US$1 to N1,530.00/US$1. Additionally, the CBN purchased US$9,500,000 (Nine Million and Five Hundred Thousand Dollars) from four authorized dealer banks at rates between N1,510.00/US$1 and N1,550.00/US$1. All these transactions are marked for settlement on July 19, 2024.

The Central Bank also stated its commitment to closely monitor compliance with existing trading rules and regulations by authorized dealer banks. This is seen as an effort to promote ethical conduct and ensure stability in the foreign exchange market.

The general public was also advised to direct their foreign exchange demands to their respective banks and BDC operators, adhering to prevailing market regulations.

SEE ALSO:  Tinubu congratulates UK’s new PM, Keir Starmer, woos him for mutual bilateral interest

With the regular sale of foreign exchange and ongoing monitoring of trading practices, the CBN aims to meet demand pressure, foster stability, and sustain a well-functioning foreign exchange market.

Advertisement
Advertisements
Continue Reading

Trending