Connect with us

News

SUICIDE: Ebonyi man jumps into well, dies

Published

on

Spread the love
A 40-year-old man on Saturday morning committed suicide by jumping into a deep well on Douglas Ogbonna/Gabriel Street in Abakiliki, the Ebonyi State capital.

An eyewitness, who identified himself simply as Uchechi, stated that the people around the area were surprised by the incident.

He said, “The well is a few metres away from the shop of a woman who sells Akamu (pap), bread and bean cake (popularly known as akara).

 “The man came there about 9 am, stood beside the well for some time before he opened it and jumped inside it.

“Immediately, the people who came to buy bean cake raised the alarm and alerted policemen. The landlady is being interrogated by the police.

“In fact, the man deceived the people who were there and nobody even thought that he came with such a bad intention.”

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Ebonyi State Command, SP Onome Onovwakpoyeya, confirmed the incident.

Maduka College Advert

“Actually somebody called me and told me that they were trying to remove a body of a frustrated man who fell into a well and I gave him a number of one of our men and until now I have not heard anything again.

“But, I was actually called and we are still waiting for details,” she explained.

It was learnt that the body had been removed and deposited at Alex Ekwueme Federal Teaching Hospital (FUTHA 2) mortuary. (Daily Trust)

News

Anambra introduces new burial law, bans presentation of cows, goats as condolence gifts

Published

on

Governor Charles Soludo of Anambra State
Spread the love

• Public display of caskets, dancing with caskets, others abolished

The Anambra State Government has introduced strict new legislation regulating funeral rites, effectively outlawing midweek burials and banning the presentation of items such as cows, goats and other expensive gifts during condolence visits.

The law, enacted by the Anambra State House of Assembly, is aimed at regulating burial and funeral ceremony activities in the state.

According to the law obtained by our correspondent on Monday, the state described the move as a major step towards curbing extravagant funeral practices that have long placed heavy financial burdens on bereaved families.

The regulations are also aimed at boosting economic productivity, reducing extravagant spending and stopping prolonged, lavish funeral activities from disrupting working days.

Under the legislation, “No person shall give to the deceased person’s family, as a condolence gift, any item exceeding money, one jar of palm wine, one carton of beer and one crate of soft drinks.

“All burial and funeral ceremonies are now restricted to Saturdays only. Midweek (Monday to Friday) burials are prohibited. All burial ceremonies must be completed within one day.”

Maduka College Advert

The burial law also contains far-reaching provisions aimed at reducing ostentatious funeral ceremonies across the state, stating that offenders are liable to a fine of ₦100,000, or six months’ imprisonment, or both.

By the law, the common practice of presenting cows, goats, bags of rice and other expensive items at funerals and condolence visits is banned.

The law is intended to remove financial burden and pressure on bereaved families and to curb oppressive practices during burials.

It states, “All burial ceremonies must be completed within one day, while wake-keep ceremonies have been abolished entirely.

“Vigil masses, services of songs and related religious activities must end by 9pm, and no food, drinks, live bands or cultural entertainment may be provided during such events.

“The law also prohibits the erection of billboards, banners and posters of deceased persons anywhere in the state.

“Only directional signs leading to burial venues are permitted, and they cannot be displayed earlier than seven days before the burial date.

“Public display of caskets for advertisement or sale is barred, and dancing with caskets is prohibited.

“Undertakers are limited to six persons during funeral activities.

“Corpses are not to remain in mortuaries beyond two months from the date of death.

“Any corpse kept longer risks being classified as a ‘rejected corpse’ and may be buried in government-designated burial grounds to be established in every community.”

The legislation also seeks to limit excessive spending by making food and drinks optional for guests and banning the sharing of souvenirs during funerals.

“Second funeral rites are prohibited except in legacy-related cases.

“The wearing of uniform attire, popularly known as ‘aso ebi’, is restricted to immediate family members, church groups, ‘umunna’, ‘umuada’ and ‘iyom di’, where applicable.

“To enforce compliance, the state will establish monitoring and implementation committees in various communities to oversee the registration of deaths, approve burial ceremonies and monitor adherence to the law.

“Traditional youth practices deemed disruptive have also been outlawed, including public display of photographs of the deceased, destruction of crops or household property, and unauthorised use of firearms during burials,” it added.

The government’s latest move is aimed at restoring order to burial ceremonies and easing the financial burden on families.

The law also warns against the blocking of roads and streets during burial ceremonies.

Continue Reading

News

Yahaya Bello disqualified from APC Senatorial primaries

Published

on

Follow AGF’s advice, submit to EFCC – Group tells Yahaya Bello
Yahaya Bello
Spread the love

Former Kogi State governor, Yahaya Bello, was reportedly denied clearance to take part in the All Progressives Congress (APC) senatorial primary screening in Kogi State after he failed to appear before the party’s screening panel.

According to a screening report from the Kogi State secretariat of the APC obtained by Sahara Reporters, Bello’s name was not among the aspirants cleared for the exercise.

Sources within the APC told Sahara Reporters that Bello stayed away from the screening exercise because of questions connected to ongoing criminal investigations and court cases.

The source claimed the former governor was not cleared because he did not participate in the screening process.

Another source told the publication that one of the questions in the APC senatorial form required aspirants to disclose any ongoing criminal investigation, which may have influenced Bello’s decision not to attend the screening.

The source further alleged that EFCC officials were expected around the party secretariat during the screening exercise, forcing Bello to avoid the venue and travel to Lagos instead.

Maduka College Advert

The development comes as the former governor continues to battle corruption cases filed against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Bello is currently facing two separate criminal trials linked to alleged financial misconduct during his time as governor of Kogi State.

One of the cases involves an alleged N80.2 billion money laundering charge filed before the Federal High Court in Abuja.

The EFCC accused him and other persons of diverting public funds through private accounts and using part of the money to acquire expensive properties in Nigeria and Dubai.

The anti-graft agency also accused the former governor of criminal breach of trust in the case, which is being handled by Justice Emeka Nwite.

During the ongoing trial, bank officials and other witnesses reportedly gave evidence concerning cash transactions allegedly carried out to avoid financial reporting rules.

Apart from the N80.2 billion case, Bello is also standing trial over another alleged fraud case involving N110.4 billion. In that matter, the EFCC accused him alongside Umar Oricha and Abdulsalami Hudu of illegally diverting funds belonging to Kogi State.

Bello is seeking to contest for the Kogi Central Senatorial District seat, but his ambition has continued to generate reactions because of the corruption allegations hanging over him.

Continue Reading

News

Three females beheaded in Enugu

Published

on

Spread the love

Three persons, all females, were beheaded in Igbo-Etiti Local Government Area of Enugu State, the state police command confirmed on Sunday.

The incidents occurred at two different communities of the LGA.

According to the police, the incidents involved the alleged murder of a mother by her son, and the alleged murder of a woman and her child by the woman’s brother.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Daniel Ndukwe, in a release, explained that the first incident occurred st Nkporogwu Ukehe Community.

Ndukwe stated that, “In the first incident, police operatives attached to the Igbo-Etiti Division, at about 3:10pm, responded to a report alleging that one Anikwe Onyebuchi (male, aged about 40) used a cutlass to behead his 60-year-old mother, Anikwe Felicia, at Nkporogwu Ukehe Community.”

Ndukwe said the corpse and the severed head of the deceased were recovered and taken to the hospital, where doctors confirmed her dead, after which the remains were deposited in the mortuary for preservation and autopsy.

Maduka College Advert

“The suspect was subsequently rescued and rearrested from an angry mob that had severely beaten him and was taken to hospital for medical treatment,” Ndukwe said, adding that “A full-scale investigation into the incident has commenced.”

In a similar vein, the state police command, responding to a distress call, arrested one Joshua Eze for allegedly murdering his sister and her daughter. The suspect was apprehended by the Command’s Distress Response Squad stationed at Ekwegbe Junction along the Ugwuagu/Opi/Nsukka Road, it was learnt.

The police spokesman said, “At about 3:18pm on the same, police operatives responded to a distress call alleging that one Joshua Eze (male) similarly used a cutlass to sever the heads of his sister, Nwabuche Eze, and her little daughter, Favour Eze, at Agu-Ekwegbe Community in the same Igbo-Etiti LGA. The remains of the deceased victims were recovered and taken to the hospital, where doctors confirmed them dead, after which the corpses were deposited in the mortuary for preservation and autopsy.”

He added that the police operatives also rescued the suspect from an angry mob in a critical condition and taken to the hospital, where doctors later confirmed him dead.

He stated that preliminary investigations revealed that after allegedly murdering the victims, he buried their remains in a shallow grave alongside a dead white cock, suggesting possible ritual intentions.

Meanwhile, the state Commissioner of Police, CP Bitrus Giwa, has condemned the act, and ordered the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of the State CID to immediately commence comprehensive investigations to ascertain the circumstances surrounding both incidents and ensure necessary investigative actions.

He urged members of the public to refrain from taking laws into their hands by resorting to jungle justice, regardless of the provocation, and “instead promptly report criminal suspects to the police or other lawful authorities for appropriate action.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert