Connect with us

News

Why we crushed 400 impounded commercial motorcycles in Abuja – FCTA

Published

on

• 400 motorcycles crushed by FCTA in Abuja on Thursday.
Spread the love

The Joint Task Force Team of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) says it decided to  crush no fewer than 400 commercial motorcycles impounded for operating illegally within Abuja city to indicate  that the city centre was not an area for them to operate.

The FCTA said the motorcyclists were allowed to operate only in the suburbs of the FCT, insisting that any operator caught within the city centre would have his motorcycle impounded.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the crushed motorcycles were impounded at strategic spots the motorcyclists use as their routes for operations.

The areas included Kpaduma II, Asokoro Extension, Galadimawa by Primary School, Gudu market, Kabusa junction and Apo mechanic village.

Mr Abdulateef Bello, Director, FCT Directorate of Road Traffic Services (DRTS), said that the operation was part of ongoing efforts to take commercial motorcycles and tricycle operators off Abuja roads.

This, he said, was in line with the matching order by the Minister of FCT, Mr Nyesom Wike, to ensure sanity on Abuja roads.

Maduka College Advert

Bello said that the DRTS had been working hard to enforce  the ban on commercial motorcycles and tricycle operations within Abuja metropolis since 2006.

He, however, said  that the operators kept returning to the roads, adding that the FCTA had declared zero tolerance for illegal operations of commercial motorcycles.

Earlier, Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Commissioner of Police, Garba Haruna, said that the exercise was a sign that the law on motorcycle ban was still in force.

“FCT residents are aware that commercial motorcycles have been banned from entering the Federal Capital City since 2006.

“We decided to crush the impounded ones today to indicate  that the city centre is not an area for them to operate,” Haruna said.

The commissioner said the motorcyclists were allowed to operate only in the suburbs of FCT.

“We don’t want to see any motorcycles in the city centre,” he insisted

News

2027: Gov Mbah Showcases Achievements, Promises More as He’s Officially Declared Enugu APC Guber Candidate

Published

on

Spread the love

…Says ‘Tomorrow is Here’ mantra no longer abstract expression

…Panel: Enugu APC model for internal democracy

Governor Peter Mbah has saluted the All Progressives Congress’ (APC) faithful for his resounding election as the party’s gubernatorial candidate in the 2027 general election, highlighting progress made under his stewardship and promising more to the state.

He stated this in his acceptance speech at the International Conference Centre, Enugu, on Friday, as the Hon. Danmalikin Hausa-led Enugu State APC Governorship Primary Election Committee concluded the collation of results of the exercise that saw 397,370 accredited party faithful participating across the state’s 260 wards on Thursday and formally declared him winner.

“This moment is not one I take for granted. For me, there was never a sense of entitlement. I accept this nomination with full awareness of the expectations that come with it, buoyed by the knowledge that it’s not an unfamiliar path for me,” he stated.

Mbah expressed happiness that his administration totally disproved the notion that campaign promises could never be kept, saying the “Tomorrow Is Here,” which underscores his governance philosophy had moved from the abstract to a reality.

“What once felt distant – that tomorrow could be different – is no longer abstract. It is taking shape.

Maduka College Advert

“It is visible in the routines of daily life, in how people travel, how they work, and how they now access services that were once unreliable or out of reach.

“We have smashed the notion that promises matter more than performance. Every naira spent has been made to give the people of Enugu a return on their investment of trust and faith,” he said.

Continuing, the governor reeled out his administration’s achievements across various sectors.

“Today, events are scheduled on Mondays without the least apprehension. Through our Command and Control Centre and other modern security infrastructure, we have effectively restored citizens’ faith in the state’s capacity to protect them.

“Through our ward-based Smart Green Schools, learning has become fit-for-purpose, offering our children education that guarantees them a place in a fast-changing world.

“With at least one Type-2 Primary Healthcare Centre in each of our 260 Wards, we have ensured that location is no longer a hindrance to quality healthcare.

“Across our rural communities, crop yield is rising as the rev of tractors increasingly replaces backbreaking tasks like ridging and tilling once done with hoes and cutlasses.

“Across our towns and cities, opportunities are emerging as decades-long moribund industries roar back to life.

“Until a few months ago, the Songhai Heneke Farm in Ezeagu was a desolate project. The story is different today.

“The United Palm Products Limited has risen from its moribund past to become a viable venture – offering job opportunities to the youth.

“The Enugu Haier Factory, a $20 million investment facility that manufactures digital appliances and electronics, also comes to mind.

“Jobs in the aviation sector that once felt out of reach no longer feels so for our youths with the launch of Enugu Air.

“Our sons and daughters will soon be able to fly to major cities of the world from here.

“We have done over 1,500 kilometres of roads, launched five world-class Transport Terminals and CNG buses to ensure that our people commute in dignity and comfort.”

“Beyond the state, Enugu is becoming the standard bearer for sustainable governance, innovative development, and quality of life,” he asserted.

The governor equally acknowledged that President Bola Tinubu’s bold policies contributed immensely to the successes by making more resources available to states to invest in development.

Meanwhile, primary election panel Chairman, Hon. Hausa, has commended Mbah and party leaders for the peaceful and credible primary elections in the state.

“Enugu State APC is a well-coordinated chapter where internal democracy, consensus-building, discipline, synergy and peace reign supreme. The whole exercise has been rancour-free and indeed a carnival of sorts,” he added.

He equally commended President Tinubu and the Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda-led national executive of the party “for providing the exemplary leadership that midwifed the peaceful and credible primaries at the subnational level.

Continue Reading

News

Presidency denies plan to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia law

Published

on

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu
Spread the love

• Says viral report aimed at causing political tension ahead of polls

• APC will collapse without power, says ADC, plans One Million-Man March

The Presidency has dismissed as false and misleading a viral report alleging that President Bola Tinubu plans to initiate constitutional amendments to rename Nigeria as the ‘United States of Nigeria’ and abolish Sharia law in the North.

But the opposition African Democratic Congress (ADC) has declared that the only factor holding the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) is political power.

The National Publicity Secretary of the ADC, Bolaji Abdullahi, stated this yesterday at the launch of the Rise Up Naija Movement (RUN) at the party’s National Secretariat in Abuja.

The Presidency stated, yesterday, that the report, which cited unnamed sources, was entirely fabricated and designed to create disaffection, provoke political unrest and destabilise the country ahead of the general elections.

It urged Nigerians to disregard the publication in its entirety, describing those behind it as “agents of destabilisation and merchants of disorder.”

According to the statement, President Tinubu has no intention of sponsoring any proposed legislation code-named “Project True Federation” or transmitting such a bill to the National Assembly before the elections.

Maduka College Advert

“The Presidency wishes to state clearly that there is no truth whatsoever in the viral fake story claiming that President Tinubu seeks constitutional amendments to change Nigeria’s name to the United States of Nigeria and abolish Sharia law in the northern region, among other claims,” the statement reads.

It further stressed that the procedures for constitutional amendment are clearly defined under Nigerian law and cannot be carried out arbitrarily.

“Constitutional amendments are serious matters requiring extensive legislative scrutiny, broad consultation and national debate. The process is not at the whim of either the President or the National Assembly. It requires a two-thirds majority in both chambers of the National Assembly, as well as the concurrence of at least 24 Houses of Assembly,” it added.

The Presidency said Tinubu remains focused on implementing ongoing economic reforms and delivering tangible benefits to Nigerians rather than engaging in divisive political distractions.

The statement also cautioned citizens against spreading or consuming fake and inflammatory reports, warning that misinformation is likely to increase as political activities intensify ahead of the general elections.

Abdullahi said, at present, only ADC represents the future of politics in Nigeria, as it is built on the philosophy of egalitarianism, where conversations are tolerated.

He added that ADC sees the unveiling of the movement as a responsibility to provide a space for younger people and prepare them for leadership.

The ADC spokesperson expressed confidence that the movement would be useful when the party forms the government, especially to check potential distractions from the real issues after gaining power.

Abdullahi said: “With what has happened to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), which is tragic in the context, I have no doubt in my mind that the only thing holding the APC together today is power. When you take political power, government power out of the APC, you don’t have a political party.

“This party, ADC, represents the future of politics in Nigeria. It’s the only party built on the philosophy of egalitarianism. It’s the only party you can belong to, and nobody will tell you what to do and what not to do. It’s the only party where we have conversations; we don’t direct people on what to do.”

Continue Reading

News

Defence Headquarters releases full details of terrorist group behind Oyo school attack

Published

on

Spread the love

The Defence Headquarters has said the recent kidnap incident in Oyo State was carried out by terrorists displaced from other parts of the country following intensified military operations.

The military authority disclosed this on Thursday while reacting to what it described as “mischievous and misleading publications” surrounding comments credited to the Defence Headquarters on the classification of terrorists and criminal elements operating in the South-West.

In a statement signed by the Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj Gen Michael Onoja, the DHQ said the attackers behind the Oyo abduction were members of the Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad terrorist group displaced by sustained military offensives across the country.

“The recent incidence of kidnap in Oyo State was clearly perpetrated by terrorists of the JAS Group that have been dislodged from other parts of the country due to high-intensity operations being conducted all over,” the statement read.

The statement also stressed that the Armed Forces of Nigeria remained committed to supporting constitutional governance and protecting democratic institutions.

“At no time did the Defence Headquarters undermine the authority of any democratically elected leader or seek to diminish the gravity of the heinous crime committed against innocent citizens by terrorist elements,” the statement added.

Maduka College Advert

The DHQ further disclosed that troops remained actively deployed across affected areas in collaboration with other security agencies and local stakeholders to dismantle terrorist and criminal networks threatening national peace and stability.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria remain resolute in dismantling all criminal and terrorist networks threatening the peace, stability and unity of the nation,” the statement said.

The clarification followed recent attacks on communities in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, where armed terrorists abducted pupils, teachers and other residents from Community High School, Ahoro-Esinle.

The incident also left several persons dead, while one of the abducted teachers, Michael Oyedokun, was later killed after a video linked to the attack surfaced online.

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert