Connect with us


Baltimore bridge collapse: Six presumed dead after ship collides with bridge



Baltimore bridge collapse: Six presumed dead after ship collides with bridge
• The Singapore-flagged container ship, Dali, struck a support column on the 47-year-old bridge at 01:30 (05:30 GMT), causing it to collapse.

Six people are missing and presumed dead after a container ship hit the landmark Francis Scott Key Bridge in the US city of Baltimore, causing it to collapse.

The Coast Guard said it had suspended its search and begun a recovery effort.

The bridge, which is more than 2.6km (1.6 miles) long, was destroyed after the vessel hit a support.

Officials say the ship suffered a “power issue” and issued a distress call moments before the crash.

Boats and helicopters were part of a huge search and rescue effort searching for the six missing people. Two others were pulled from the water, with one in a serious condition.

Rear Admiral Shannon Gilreath of the US Coast Guard said in the evening that the remaining missing men were presumed dead based on the temperature of the waters they had fallen in and the length of time they have been under water.

Authorities say they were part of a construction crew repairing potholes at the time the bridge snapped.

The focus is now turning to the investigation into what went wrong, with a team of transportation safety experts hoping to board the stricken ship and recover its data recorder.


It had departed from the terminal at Port Breeze at around 00:45 bound for the Sri Lankan capital, Colombo.

A US federal government agency said the vessel “lost propulsion” as it was leaving the port.

The crew then warned Maryland transport officials of a possible collision, according to an unclassified Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency report on the incident.

SEE ALSO:  Why we killed 16 soldiers in Delta Community — Fleeing suspect

Maryland state governor Wes Moore said he could confirm that “the crew notified authorities of a power issue”, adding that the ship had lost power before smashing into one of the columns supporting the bridge.

A number of vehicles, including “one the size of a tractor-trailer”, plunged into the water below, officials said.

Baltimore fire department, the US Coastguard and other agencies from the state of Maryland have been involved in the rescue operation.

Baltimore Fire Chief James Wallace confirmed that two people had been rescued and one of them had been “transported to a local trauma centre… in a very serious condition”.

Mr Wallace said the tide was posing a challenge to rescue efforts. Local officials said another huge concern for rescue teams was the freezing conditions, with air temperatures of about 3C (37.4F) near the bridge.


Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott described the incident as an “unthinkable tragedy”, adding the focus right now should be on “the people, the lives, the souls… there are people in the water that we have to get out and that’s the only thing we should be talking about.”

Maryland Transportation Secretary Paul Wiedefeld said engineers were at the site determining the structural impact of the collapse.

Reuters A drone view of the Dali cargo vessel, which crashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge causing it to collapse, in Baltimore, Maryland, U.S., March 26, 2024, in this still image taken from a handout videoReuters
A drone view of the crash site

Shipping company Synergy Marine Group told the BBC there were 22 people on the ship, including an all-Indian crew and two Baltimore locals serving as port pilots, and that there were no reports of any injuries.

Pilots are people with local knowledge who board ships and help manoeuvre them into and out of a port.

SEE ALSO:  Six Labour Party members of Enugu Assembly defect to PDP

The company said in a statement that the exact cause of the incident had yet to be determined and that it was “fully co-operating” with federal agencies.

Shipping giant Maersk said it had chartered the vessel and it was carrying its customers’ cargo.

“We are horrified by what has happened in Baltimore, and our thoughts are with all of those affected,” it said in a statement. No Maersk crew and personnel were onboard the vessel.

US President Joe Biden said he would travel to Baltimore as soon as possible, and that search and rescue efforts should be prioritised.

“I’ve directed my team to move heaven and earth to reopen the port and rebuild the bridge as soon as humanly possible,” he said.


He said the collapse had been an accident and that federal government would “pay for the entire cost of that bridge” – the spending, he added, would need to be approved by members of congress.




Nigerian dancer, Korra Obidi attacked with acid, stabbed in UK



Nigerian dancer, Korra Obidi attacked with acid, stabbed in UK
• Anita Chukwumfumnaya Obidi aka Korra Obidi

Nigerian dancer, Anita Obidi, popularly known as Korra Obidi, has come under a knife and acid attack in the United Kingdom.

Celebrities Kimora Lee Simmons’s 21-year-old daughter Aoki breaks up with 65-year-old boyfriend.

According to the dancer, the attack occurred while she was in the middle of a live stream on Thursday, April 11, 2024.

The mother of two announced this on her social media.

In the trending video on her instagram page, she was seen washing her face with coca-cola.

“My face is burning, can I have some coke to wash it please,” Obidi screamed as she groaned in pain.

The livestream footage reportedly showed Korra Obidi in distress, frantically washing her face with a Coca-Cola beverage, likely to neutralize the burning sensation of an acid attack.

Two uniformed officers arrived at the scene, captured on video. One officer applied a liquid solution to her face, presumably to ease the pain. The other officer can be seen spraying her back, likely administering first aid.


In a caption accompanying the disturbing video, Obidi pleaded with the public for any information that could identify and apprehend her attacker.

Describing the assailant, Obidi stated it was a Black female of approximately five feet in height. She further revealed she had been subjected to hateful comments online in the past, but this physical assault serves as a stark wake-up call.

“Currently in an ambulance to the hospital, there was a knife, acid attack on me in the UK 🇬🇧 in the middle of a live stream.

“There’s been a lot of hate in the past but this physical assault is a wake up call.

SEE ALSO:  Delta Community razed after killing of 16 soldiers

“If you have any information as to the attacker, black female. 5 foot. please forward to,” she wrote.

Continue Reading


Man who dismembered wife’s body into 200 pieces sentenced to life in prison



Nicholas Metson

A man, Nicholas Metson, 28, who dismembered his wife’s body into over 200 pieces and then enlisted a friend to help dispose of her remains in a river, has been sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 19 years.

Metson fatally stabbed Holly Bramley, 26, at least four times in March 2023 before dismembering her and storing her body parts for a week in the kitchen larder at their shared flat in Shuttleworth House, Stamp End, Lincoln.

According to foreign news platform on Monday, Metson admitted to the murder and was sentenced to a minimum term of 19 years and 316 days at Lincoln Crown Court. His friend, Joshua Hancock, who aided in disposing of Bramley’s remains, received a three-year and three-month prison sentence, along with a 10-year sexual harm prevention order.

Sentencing Metson, His Honour Judge Simon Hirst of Shuttleworth House, Lincoln, said, “The cause of death cannot be established given how you treated Holly’s body after you killed her.”

Bramley’s remains were found by an individual who, initially mistook them for animal remains, before discovering human hand in the river on the evening of March 25th more than a week after Ms. Bramley was last seen entering her flat on March 17th.

During the court proceedings, it was revealed that some of Holly Bramley’s remains, including parts of her heart, were never recovered.

Initially, Nicholas Metson denied the charges of murder. However, he later changed his plea to guilty before the trial commenced.

Before Bramley’s remains were discovered and during her period of absence, Lincolnshire Police visited the flat she shared with Metson.


At that time, Metson informed the authorities that his wife had departed their residence on March 19th in the company of two individuals from a local mental health crisis team.

SEE ALSO:  Biden slammed for declaring Easter Sunday as Transgender day

Upon entering the flat, officers detected a “strong smell of bleach and ammonia” They also spotted a saw resting on a towel, bloodstained sheets within the bathroom, and a large bloodstain on the bedroom floor.

Following the revelation that Metson’s account regarding his wife’s disappearance was deceitful, law enforcement arrested Metson and charged him with murder and perverting the course of justice.

A thorough examination of Metson’s mobile phone revealed Google searches, including inquiries such as “How to get rid of a dead body”, “What benefits can I get if my wife dies” and “Does God forgive murder”.

Metson had also sent a message to Hancock, residing at Walnut Close in Waddington, during the early hours of March 25th, offering him £50 in exchange for Hancock’s assistance with an unspecified “job.”

Continue Reading


Catholic priest burns to death after spark ignites robes during Easter ceremony



Javier Sánchez

A 60-year-old Catholic priest has died after his robes caught fire from a candle-light ceremony during an Easter vigil.

The priest, Javier Sánchez died from the horrific injuries of the burns in Zaragoza city, Spain.

According to Daily Mail, he suffered 50 per cent burns in the freak accident over the Easter weekend and lost his battle for life after four days in intensive care.

An ember bowl surrounded by candles caught fire and shot off sparks which ignited his robes.

It was learned that the 60-year-old died a hero as he stood between the burning bowl and nuns to protect them.

Meanwhile, an investigation is underway as it is believed paraffin had been used on the ember bowl to help it burn.

Father Sanchez was rushed to Miguel Servet Hospital in Zaragoza but suffered horrific injuries and despite the best efforts of doctors later died following multiple organ failure.

“The priest tried to protect the nuns of the convent when embers lit up in the basin that was used [for the fire] and that ultimately caused his death. Apparently a flammable substance had been used to start the fire. [The Easter Vigil] was held inside the convent,” said a source cited by Spanish newspaper El Heraldo de Aragón.


Father Sanchez presided over the ‘blessing of the fire’ – a ritual held during Mass on Holy Saturday when a paschal candle was lit and remained so for 50 days until the celebration of Pentecost.

The deceased was known as the ‘rock priest’ because of his love for music and for having composed many songs, as he released three albums over the course of his career.

SEE ALSO:  Catholic priest burns to death after spark ignites robes during Easter ceremony

He also served as a priest at the Clinical Hospital of Zaragoza, in the parish of La Jota, and was a talk show host on television.

Tributes have flooded in, with one friend saying: “He was a very vital and very loved person.”

The Archbishop of Zaragoza stated the social network, saying: ‘It is with pain that we communicate that this morning the priest Javi Sánchez has died. We pray for his eternal rest.’

Pilar Martinez, secretary of the San Gregorio neighbourhood association, said the news of the priest’s death had come as ‘’a bucket of cold water.”

She said the priest had been “a good man,” even though he hadn’t been in the neighbourhood long.

Continue Reading