Connect with us

News

FG exempts universities, other tertiary institutions from IPPIS

Published

on

FG exempts universities, other tertiary institutions from IPPIS
• Minister of Education, Professor Mamman Tahir
Spread the love

The Federal Executive Council (FEC) on Wednesday, December 16, approved the exemption of tertiary institutions, including universities, from the Integrated Personnel and Payroll Systems (IPPS).

The Minister of Education, Professor Mamman Tahir, who disclosed this to journalists after the week’s FEC meeting, also said the Council relieved managements of tertiary institutions of the burden of obtaining approval and waiver from the Office of the Head of Service for recruitment.

According to the Minister, the exemption of tertiary institutions from the IPPIS platform and from seeking the Head of Civil Service’s authority for recruitment would allow the institutions to deal with salary issues of their staff, as well as recruitment internally.

He said the FEC decided to remove the institutions from the IPPIS system because it was concerned with efficiency and the management of the institutions.

According to him, apart from the opposition to the payment system by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), the IPPS issue had proved time-consuming for university vice-chancellors.

The minister explained that as the tertiary institutions are governed by laws, they should be allowed to exercise their autonomy.

Maduka College Advert

He said: “It was a very happy day for the education sector because one of the problems which the vice-chancellors, rectors and provosts of colleges of education, those managing the tertiary sector in Nigeria, have been complaining about has been the subscription to the IPPIS

“You know what IPPIS does, which has made recruitment and many other activities of the university remitting to personnel very difficult. Now today’s Council decided, that the President has directed that the vice-chancellor should no longer…they have been taken out of that service. So this is a very, very important development for the vice-chancellors that will allow for efficient management of the universities and tertiary education generally speaking.

“Then secondly, which is connected to that, before now when the tertiary institutions want to make an appointment, they have to write to the Office of the Head of Service for waiver or approval or that sort of thing.

“Today, the council, through the directive of the President, has exempted them. They don’t have to go to the Office of the Head of Service because it is actually not in their line of supervision.

The IPPIS had been a bone of contention between university lecturers under the aegis of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) and the past administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.

In 2020, ASUU, which went on an eight-month strike due to disputes with the Federal Government regarding the payment platform opted for the University Transparency Account System (UTAS).

The IPPIS was introduced by the federal government in October 2006 as part of its reform initiatives to effectively store personnel records and promote transparency and accountability.

Giving a bit more clarity to the approval of IPPIS, Minister of Information and National Orientation, Muhammed Idris, said: “Today, the universities and other tertiary institutions have gotten a very big relief from the integrated personnel payroll and information system. You will recall that the university authorities and others have been clamouring for the exemption of universities and other tertiary institutions from this system.

“Today, the council has graciously approved that. What that means is that going forward, the universities as the Honorable Minister of Education has said and other tertiary institutions, the polytechnics, and colleges of education will be taken off the IPPIS.

“What that means in simple language is that the university authorities and other tertiary institutions will now be paying their own personnel from their own end instead of relying on the IPPIS”, he said.

The education minister also said the council approved the construction of the Senate Building at the University of Nigeria and funds to the National Examination Council (NECO).

News

I regret trusting my community elders,’ says Cubana Chief Priest after primary election defeat

Published

on

Cubana Chief Priest reads City Boys manifesto booklet during a meeting
Spread the love

Pascal Okechukwu, popularly known as Cubana Chief Priest, has reacted to his defeat in the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for the Orsu/Orlu/Oru East Federal Constituency seat in Imo State.

The celebrity businessman, who serves as the Imo State Coordinator of the City Boys Movement, had sought the APC ticket to contest for a seat in the House of Representatives.

Reacting after the outcome of the primary election in a viral video, Cubana Chief Priest said he had no regrets contesting for the position. Still, he expressed disappointment over what he described as misplaced trust in community elders.

“I’m a hustler, and I didn’t regret trying to contest for a position. My only regret was trusting the elders in the community. I know how much I gave them, but only 14 people voted for me in the primary,” he said.

Cubana Chief Priest had announced his political ambition earlier this year, advocating for what he described as cleaner and issue-based political participation driven by young Nigerians.

Following his defeat, reactions trailed the outcome on social media, with some users mocking the businessman and suggesting he may have underestimated the dynamics of Nigerian politics.

Maduka College Advert

However, Ossai Ovie Success defended him against online criticism.

“Why are people mocking Cubana Chief Priest? Not nice… it’s ok to try and try again,” he wrote on Facebook.

“He lost an election and so what? I am disappointed,” he added.

Continue Reading

News

Peter Obi mourns 17 police officers killed in Yobe deadly terror ambush

Published

on

Peter Obi condemns deportation of Osun indigenes by Lagos gov't
Peter Obi
Spread the love

Former Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has expressed deep sorrow over the killing of security personnel during a recent terrorist attack on a military school in Yobe State, describing the deaths as a painful national tragedy.

In a statement issued on Saturday, Obi extended condolences to the leadership of the Nigerian Armed Forces and the Police following the reported death of 17 police officers and an unspecified number of soldiers during the attack.

“I extend my sincerest condolences to the High Command and Leadership of the Nigerian Military and the Police over the tragic loss of our courageous officers,” Obi said.

“It is with deep sadness that I acknowledge the heartbreaking death of 17 brave police officers, alongside an unspecified number of soldiers, who made the ultimate sacrifice during the recent terrorist attack on a military school in Yobe State.”

The former Anambra State governor said the nation must stand in solidarity with the military, police authorities, and the families of the slain officers.

“At this moment of profound sorrow, the entire nation stands in solidarity with the leadership of the Armed Forces, the Police, the affected commands, and the wider security community,” he stated.

Maduka College Advert

Obi stressed that the continuous loss of security personnel and innocent civilians should not be treated as routine, warning that insecurity must be confronted with urgency and sincerity.

“Every security personnel killed is a tragedy to our nation. Every fallen officer represents a family thrown into grief, children left without parents, and communities robbed of those sworn to protect them,” he said.

He called on the Federal Government to prioritise the welfare of families of fallen officers through adequate compensation and long-term support.

“The Federal Government must ensure adequate compensation, support, and long-term welfare for the families of all those who paid the supreme price in service to our nation,” Obi added.

The Labour Party chieftain further urged authorities to adopt decisive and strategic measures to tackle insecurity across the country.

“A nation cannot continue to normalise the killing of its security personnel and innocent citizens without urgent, decisive, and strategic action. We must confront insecurity with sincerity, professionalism, and the political will necessary to protect lives and restore public confidence,” he stated.

Obi also sympathised with the bereaved families, assuring them that the sacrifices of the slain officers would not be forgotten.

“To the families of the fallen heroes, I offer my deepest and most heartfelt sympathies. We mourn with you, and we honour the courage and sacrifice of your loved ones. May their souls rest in eternal peace,” he said.

Continue Reading

News

Enugu 2027: Civil society group kicks against Nnaji clearance

Published

on

PDP rejects Edo election results in three LGAs
Spread the love

A Civil society organization, The Defence for Democracy, has criticized the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) for clearing former minister of Science and Technology, Uche Geoffrey Nnaji, to contest the primaries for the forthcoming governorship elections in Enugu State despite being under investigation over alleged forged credentials.

Nnaji resigned from President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s cabinet over allegations of forgery and is currently being investigated by relevant authorities.

In a statement issued by the National President of the organisation Dr. Emeka Nwachukwu, and made available to journalists, the organisation questioned the integrity of the entire screening and accused the party of working in favour of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

The organisation said the APC will have sufficient grounds to fast-track accelerated hearing of the forgery case and eventually upturn any victory in the name of the former minister should he win.

The group stressed that “leadership must be built on trust, integrity, and credibility. The people of Enugu State deserve leaders whose records can withstand public scrutiny without fear or controversy.”

The organisation emphasized that while the allegations are not yet proven before a competent court of law, the PDP has a moral responsibility to raise the red flag on the former minister, “Because we are all in this country, and we know that in an event that this former minister wins, there will be an accelerated hearing that will hand over that victory to the APC.

Maduka College Advert

“We believe firmly that Enugu deserves honest leadership, grassroots connection, and a leader who understands the pains of the people, and there are many such people.

“From our findings there are people who represent a great future, and as an organization, we stand for good governance, and when our findings throw up people of impeccable character, we naturally step in to ensure that they excel.

“We therefore find it strange that people can move from controversy to ambition without addressing the questions hanging over their names.”

The organisation called on the aspirant to immediately clear his name before throwing himself into the race, stressing that the allegations and public reports surrounding his academic credentials are too weighty to be ignored.

The organisation called on the National Secretariat of the PDP to immediately intervene and save the party the embarrassment, stressing that “We are watching events in Enugu and other parts of the country, and we would have issued this statement to congratulate the Enugu state chapter of the party if it screened out the former minister, because there is a moral burden there which is far beyond what the courts might eventually pronounce.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Maduka College Advert