The latest attacks occurred at two separate locations in the coastal city of Half Moon Bay, about 30 miles (50 km) south of San Francisco.
The attacker was identified as 67-year-old Zhao Chunli, a local resident.
It comes as the state mourns the deaths in majority-Asian Monterey Park during celebrations for the Lunar New Year.
The suspect on Monday was filmed by news cameras turning himself in to the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office about two hours after the attack.
The first four victims were discovered at a mushroom farm around 14:22 local time (00:22GMT), while the other three were later found at a nearby trucking business.
Investigators have not yet provided a motive for this attack.
San Mateo County Sheriff Christina Corpus said at a news conference that the suspect was arrested after driving himself to a local police station around 16:40.
He was found with a semi-automatic pistol that may have been used in the attack, and is currently “co-operating” with police, she added.
Mrs Corpus added that an eighth victim is being treated in hospital and is in critical condition.
“This kind of shooting is horrific,” she said. “It’s a tragedy we hear about far too often, but today it’s hit home here in San Mateo County.”
In a news conference, the sheriff also confirmed that witnesses include children who had recently been let out of school and lived on the rural property.
“For children to witness this is unspeakable,” she said.
California Governor Gavin Newsom tweeted that he was “at the hospital meeting with victims of a mass shooting when I get pulled away to be briefed about another shooting.
“This time in Half Moon Bay. Tragedy upon tragedy.”
Half Moon Bay Council member Debbie Ruddock told NBC that the victims were Chinese farmworkers.
San Mateo County Board of Supervisors President Dave Pine told the Associated Press news agency that the attacks were committed by a “disgruntled worker”.
“We are sickened by today’s tragedy in Half Moon Bay,” Mr Pine said in a statement.
“The scourge of gun violence has sadly hit home. We have not even had time to grieve for those lost in the terrible shooting in Monterey Park. Gun violence must stop.” (BBC)
Guinea’s military junta dissolves government, seals borders
Guinea, which is currently led by transitional President Mamady Doumbouya, is expected to hold elections to restore democratic rule in 10 months
Guinea’s military junta, which seized power in a coup in September 2021, has dissolved the government.
The announcement was made through a presidential decree read on state TV on Monday by the presidency’s Secretary General, Brig Gen Amara Camara.
Mr Camara did not disclose the reason for the dissolution or say when a new government will be put in place.
Ministers in the dissolved government were ordered to surrender their passports and official vehicles.
Their bank accounts have additionally been frozen.
The junta also instructed security agencies to “seal” all the country’s borders until government ministries have been fully handed over to the junta.
Lower-level officials will temporarily manage state ministries until a new government is appointed, Mr Camara said.
The dissolved government was led by Bernard Goumou, who had been appointed prime minister by coup leader Mamady Doumbouya.
In September 2021, Col Doumbouya led Guinea’s armed forces to overthrow elected President Alpha Condé, after a series of protests over Mr Conde’s controversial bid for a third term.
Guinea and several other countries in West and central Africa have been hit by coups in recent years.
Others include Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger and Gabon.
The coups have been strongly condemned by the West African regional bloc Ecowas, as well as the African Union and the UN.
Guinea is expected to hold elections to restore democratic rule in 10 months, when the 24-month transition period set by the junta and Ecowas expires.
Family Dispute: Man guns down father, brother, 10 other relatives
They said the man, who was not identified, used a Kalashnikov assault rifle and was later shot and killed by security forces in the south-central province of Kerman.
They said the cause of the shooting, in a remote rural village, was a family dispute. They did not elaborate.
Mass killings are rare in Iran, where hunting rifles are the only weapons people are allowed to possess. Two years ago, a dismissed employee of a state institution in western Iran shot and killed three people and injured five before killing himself.
Trump ordered to pay $355m for lying about his wealth in staggering civil fraud ruling
Judge Arthur Engoron’s decision after a trial in New York Attorney General Letitia James’ lawsuit punishes Trump, his company and executives, including his two eldest sons, for scheming to dupe banks, insurers and others by inflating his wealth on financial statements. It forces a shakeup at the top of his Trump Organization, putting the company under court supervision and curtailing how it does business.
The decision is a staggering setback for the Republican presidential front-runner, the latest and costliest consequence of his recent legal troubles. The magnitude of the verdict on top of penalties in other cases could dramatically dent Trump’s financial resources and damage his identity as a savvy businessman who parlayed his fame as a real estate developer into reality TV stardom and the presidency. He has vowed to appeal and won’t have to pay immediately.
Trump’s true punishment could be far costlier because under state law he is also required to pay interest on the penalties, which James said puts him on the hook for a total of more than $450 million. The amount, which would be paid to the state, will grow until he pays.
The judge made clear, however, that the Trump Organization will continue to operate, backing away from an earlier ruling that would have dissolved Trump’s companies.
Engoron, a Democrat, concluded that Trump and his company were “likely to continue their fraudulent ways” without the penalties and controls he imposed. Engoron concluded that Trump and his co-defendants “failed to accept responsibility” and that experts who testified on his behalf “simply denied reality.”
“This is a venial sin, not a mortal sin,” Engoron wrote in a searing 92-page opinion. “They did not rob a bank at gunpoint. Donald Trump is not Bernard Madoff. Yet, defendants are incapable of admitting the error of their ways.”
He said their “complete lack of contrition and remorse borders on pathological” and “the frauds found here leap off the page and shock the conscience.”
Trump said the decision was “election inference” and “weaponization against a political opponent,” complaining to reporters at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida that he was being penalized for “having built a perfect company, great cash, great buildings, great everything.”
James, a Democrat, told reporters “justice has been served” and called the ruling “a tremendous victory for this state, this nation, and for everyone who believes that we all must play by the same rules — even former presidents.”
“Now, Donald Trump is finally facing accountability for his lying, cheating, and staggering fraud. Because no matter how big, rich or powerful you think you are, no one is above the law,” James said.
Trump still owns the Trump Organization, but he put his assets into a revocable trust and relinquished a leadership role when he became president in 2017, putting his sons Eric and Donald Trump Jr. in charge of day-to-day operations. Engoron’s ruling imposes a three-year ban on Trump serving as an officer or director of any New York company and bars his sons for two years, effectively requiring the company to find new leadership, at least temporarily.
The monetary penalties involve what Engoron said were “ill-gotten gains” that Trump attained by making himself seem richer. They include money Trump saved by securing lower loan interest rates and profits from the sale of properties that he might not have been able to develop without that financing.
Southeast PDP leaders reject Anyanwu, insist on Udeh-Okoye as National Secretary
Nursing student commits suicide over unwanted pregnancy
FG blames opposition for food crisis, uncovers 32 smuggling routes
Sen Nnamani congratulates Enugu East LP Senator-Elect, Kelvin Chukwu
Finance Minister opposes CBN plan to redesign Naira, raises alarm
BREAKING: Gunmen kill former Enugu commissioner, brother
News1 day ago
Hardship: Why South East is quiet – Josef Onoh replies Usman Yusuf
News3 days ago
Economic Hardship: ‘I don’t know why South East is quiet’ – Ex-NHIS boss, Yusuf
Business2 days ago
Why we cannot sell cement below N7,000, by Dangote, Bua, Lafarge
News2 days ago
Umahi serves two-weeks termination notice on contractor handling Enugu-Port Harcourt Highway
News11 hours ago
Petrol Price: Enugu govt directs marketers to revert to status quo
News2 days ago
Tinubu won’t resign, Fed Govt replies PDP governors
News2 days ago
Man strangles girlfriend to death, dumps body in drainage
News2 days ago
New Enugu City: No homes demolished, land grabbers instigating problems – Govt