Connect with us

Tech

Elon Musk takes over Twitter, sacks executives

Published

on

Elon Musk took control of Twitter and fired its top executives late Thursday in a deal that puts one of the leading platforms for global discourse in the hands of the world’s richest man.

Following the takeover, Musk tweeted that “the bird is freed,” referencing the company’s iconic avian logo.

He wasted no time sacking chief executive Parag Agrawal, as well as the company’s chief financial officer and its head of safety, the Washington Post and CNBC reported citing unnamed sources.

Agrawal previously went to court to hold the Tesla chief to the terms of a deal he had tried to escape.

The takeover came hours before the court-appointed deadline for Musk to seal his on-again, off-again deal to purchase the social media network.

Musk tweeted earlier in the day that he was buying Twitter “because it is important to the future of civilization to have a common digital town square, where a wide range of beliefs can be debated in a healthy manner.”

Twitter did not immediately reply to a request for comment on the departure of its top executives, but the platform’s co-founder Biz Stone thanked the trio — Agrawal, Ned Segal and Vijaya Gadde — for their “collective contribution to Twitter.”

“Massive talents, all, and beautiful humans each.”

Advertisement

– ‘Chief Twit’ –

The closure of the deal marks the culmination of a long and drawn out back-and-forth between the billionaire and the social network.

Musk tried to step back from the Twitter deal soon after his unsolicited offer was accepted in April, and said in July he was canceling the contract because he was misled by Twitter over the number of fake “bot” accounts — allegations rejected by the company.

Twitter, in turn, sought to prove Musk was contriving excuses to walk away simply because he changed his mind.

After Musk sought to terminate the sale, Twitter filed a lawsuit to hold Musk to the agreement.

With a trial looming, the unpredictable billionaire capitulated and revived his takeover plan.

Musk signaled the deal was on track this week by changing his Twitter profile to “Chief Twit” and posting a video of himself walking into the company’s California headquarters carrying a sink.

“Let that sink in!” he quipped.

Advertisement

He even shared a picture of himself socializing at a coffee bar at Twitter headquarters earlier in the day Thursday.

Musk said during a recent Tesla earnings call that he was “excited” about the Twitter deal even though he and investors are “overpaying.”

– Twitter free-for-all? –

Some employees who would prefer not to work for Musk have already left, said a worker who asked to remain anonymous in order to speak more freely.

“But a portion of people, including me, are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now,” the employee said.

The idea of Musk running Twitter has alarmed activists who fear a surge in harassment and misinformation, with Musk himself known for trolling other Twitter users.

But Musk said he realizes Twitter “cannot become a free-for-all hellscape where anything can be said with no consequences.”

Musk has vowed to dial content moderation back to a bare minimum, and is expected to clear the way for former US president Donald Trump to return to the platform.

Advertisement

The then-president was blocked due to concerns he would ignite more violence like the deadly attack on the Capitol in Washington to overturn his election loss.

Far-right users were quick to rejoice on the network, posting comments such as “masks don’t work” and other taunts, under the belief that moderation rules will now be relaxed.

“Free speech will always prevail,” tweeted Republican Senator Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee, prompting replies including “says the party that bans books.”

AFP

Advertisements
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

FG to inaugurate advanced facility for Gas Leak Detection Device and Printed Circuit Board technology

Published

on

NDDC presents award letters to foreign post graduate scholars
• Executive Secretary of NCDMB, Engr. Felix Omatsola Ogbe
The Federal Government, through the Ministry of Petroleum Resources, will commission the Amal Technology’s production facility for Gas Leak Detection Device and Printed Circuit Board at Idu, Abuja on Thursday, December 21, 2023.
The Gas Leak Detection Device, known as Amal Aerio, is an advanced innovative solution developed by Amal Technology to detect gas leakages and avoid explosions
The homegrown innovation was initiated by Amal Technologies Limited and supported by the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board (NCDMB) under its Research & Development innovation intervention, which has a Technology Incubation and Innovation Centre (TIIC) domiciled within the Nigerian Content Tower in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.
Under the NCDMB’s Research and Development Framework, it facilitates ideas to market and provides institutional and funding support for market-driven research. It also supports the commercialization of breakthrough innovations with high market prospects.
The Gas Leak Detection Device is known as Amal Aerio, and the commissioning ceremony will be performed by the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources (Oil), Senator Heineken Lokpobiri, supported by the Executive Secretary of the NCDMB, Engr. Felix Omatsola Ogbe.
Other dignitaries expected at the event include the Minister of Solid Minerals, the Minister of State Steel Development, the Minister of Science and Technology, the Director General National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), the Director General, Energy Commission and members of the National Assembly.
Amal Aerio is a gas and smoke detection device and it adopted Internet of Things (IOT) to introduce into the market a device that prevents fire disasters by alerting homeowners users through phone calls and text messages in the event of a gas leak. The facility also has the capability for Printed Circuit Board (PCB) manufacturing.
With NCDMB’s support to Amal Technologies Limited, the company’s products are guaranteed to be made available to Nigerians and exported. In this regard, NCDMB is deepening in-country capacity for research and development, leveraging Nigeria’s oil and gas resources to catalyse its industrialisation.
The innovation complements the Federal Government’s decade of gas policy and in particular, the drive to deepen the utilization of cooking gas in homes across the country, a press release by NCDMB, stated.
Advertisements
Continue Reading

Tech

TikTok removes 1.4m Nigerian user’s videos in Q3 2023

Published

on

TikTok removes 1.4m Nigerian user’s videos in Q3 2023
• TikTok
The short video platform owned by Bytedance, TikTok, has reported that during the third quarter of this year, it deleted 1.4 million videos uploaded by Nigerian users.

According to The Times, Nigeria was one of the top 50 nations from which videos abusing the site’s policies originated in Q3, the platform claims. During the evaluation period, 136.5 million videos were taken down from the internet worldwide.

The business noted in its recently published Community Guidelines Enforcement Report that 90% of all content removals for the quarter occurrehe top 50 markets where policy violations were documented.

One or more of TikTok’s policies, which cover topics like Integrity and Authenticity, Privacy and Security, Mental and Behavioural Health, Safety, and Civility, among others, were allegedly broken by the removed content.
Advertisements
Continue Reading

Tech

Average Nigerian needs over 270 workdays to buy iPhone 15 Pro

Published

on

In Nigeria, the basic version of the flagship, iPhone 15 Pro (128 GB), was priced at ₦1,400,000 (₦361,000 more than last year).

According to the latest Numbeo data, the average wage in Nigeria is ₦108,405.65 net monthly. This means that an average Nigerian needs 271.2 man-days to purchase the iPhone 15 Pro, provided that all the money earned is saved for this purpose.

Compared to last year, the number of man-days required decreased by 31.7 days.

This is what the iPhone Index looked like in Nigeria in the last six years:

2018 – 91.2 days

2019 – 122.9 days

2020 – 188.2 days

2021 – 211.0 days

Advertisement

2022 – 302.9 days

2023 – 271.2 days

Switzerland is the leader of our ranking – the average Swiss needs only 4.2 man-days to afford the newest iPhone. An average American needs 5.3 days, and an average Australian – 6.3 days.

Among the countries included in our ranking, the worst result was noted in Egypt, where the newest iPhone requires 327.7 days of work. The second and third worst place in this ranking belongs to Argentina and Nigeria – 285.7 and 271.2 workdays respectively.

iPhone Index is an annual index of iPhone price-to-wage ratios, carried out by Picodi.com since 2018.

iPhone Index 2023 was calculated based on the official prices of the iPhone 15 Pro (128 GB), presented either by the local branches of Apple or by authorised sellers.

The average wages were taken from the official statistics office’s websites and are up-to-date as of the release of the iPhone in each country. Net wages were obtained through salary calculators. Monthly wages were divided by 21 – the average number of working days in a month. In countries where statistics offices use weekly rates, the wages were divided by 5.

All the data, along with the sources in the form of a spreadsheet can be found here. (Nigerian Tribune)

Advertisement
Advertisements
Continue Reading

Trending